Getting a Job After Earning a BS in EE: Which Path to Take?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a job after obtaining a BS in EE and the suggestion to go to graduate school instead. It is recommended to follow the advice of the professor and Hippo, as graduate school can provide valuable experience and specialization in a specific area. It is also mentioned that having a secondary degree can make a difference in job opportunities. It is emphasized that in order to succeed as an engineer, one must continuously keep up with technology and continue to learn.
atwong713
Hey guys i was just wondering how hard is it to find a job after getting a BS in EE because today my professor said he has been in the industry for about 10 years and it isn't easy getting a job and he told us to just go to grad school instead, which is kind of discouraging so i was just wondering which path to take.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend following your Professors advice because EE is in demand, but at the same time it is highly studied, lot's of people are doing it now just like me. Going to Graduate school may be the best of option where you can gain experience and specialize in a specific area of your liking. If you can afford it do it. Its very competitive and having a secondary Degree does make a difference in getting a job. If you want to work then go ahead, but once that other guy (or me for example) that actually bothered to make effort in continuing his Education, gets out of Grad School he'll come back and bite you in your butt and take your job. Not matter how you see it, if you want to be an Engineer over here you have to keep up with Technology and continue to learn but if not then Goodbye you'll be left behind in the dust.

I agree with Hippo and your professor. I am sure that you will be able to find a job as engineers are in high demand these days but it is definitely worth your time to go to grad school. The amount of information and skills you obtain from those short couple years in school will make a distinctive difference in the next 40 years of your career.

Related to Getting a Job After Earning a BS in EE: Which Path to Take?

1. What types of jobs can I get with a BS in Electrical Engineering?

With a BS in Electrical Engineering, you can pursue a variety of career paths in industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, electronics, and manufacturing. Some specific job titles that are commonly held by EE graduates include electrical engineer, design engineer, project manager, and systems analyst.

2. Should I start working immediately after earning my BS in EE, or should I consider further education?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences. Some individuals may choose to start working immediately after earning their BS in EE, while others may opt to pursue further education, such as a master's degree or PhD, to specialize in a specific area of electrical engineering.

3. How important is internship experience in finding a job after earning a BS in EE?

Internship experience can be very valuable in finding a job after earning your BS in EE. It not only provides hands-on experience in the field, but also allows you to network and make connections with professionals in the industry. Many companies also prefer candidates who have completed internships, as it demonstrates their practical skills and commitment to the field.

4. What skills do employers look for in candidates with a BS in EE?

Employers typically look for candidates with strong technical skills in areas such as circuit design, programming, and data analysis. They also value soft skills like communication, teamwork, and problem-solving abilities. Additionally, having knowledge of industry-specific tools and software can give you an advantage in the job market.

5. How can I stand out as a candidate when applying for jobs with a BS in EE?

There are a few ways you can stand out as a candidate when applying for jobs with a BS in EE. One way is to highlight any relevant experience or projects you have completed during your studies. You can also showcase any specialized skills or knowledge you have in a particular area of electrical engineering. Additionally, networking and building connections in the industry can help you stand out and make valuable connections for future job opportunities.