Get Help with Vectors for New Physics Students

In summary: The skier is 2.24 km from the starting point (the North point) and is 63.4 degrees from the starting point (the East point).
dianajanielle
New Member and Need help with a question

Hi. I am attempting to study introductory College Physics on my own so that when I find the time to go back to College- physics won't be so hard. I want to major in Math and Physics. Right now though, I am stuck trying to understand vectors. Could someone maybe explain exactly what they are. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vectors apply to many phenomena including force, velocity, acceleration and displacement. They have both magnitude and direction. When working with vectors, we use components to add and subtract them. The components are directed perpendicular to each other. You need to use trig to do the calculations.

Thanks. Okay so now I know I need to use trig to figure out the question. I looked to the back of the book for the correct trig formula but when I put the numbers in the formula- I did not get the correct answer. All I can figure is that because I really haven't done that much trig, I am skipping a step.

So far I have this

A cross country skier skis 1.0 km North and then 2.0 km East.

Question
A= How far and in what direction is she from the starting point?

I have the correct answer for this part by doing
the Pythagorean Theorem.

the square root of 1.0 squared plus 2.0 squared which equals 2.24 km.

Next I have to find the tangent of angle 0 and this is where I am stuck.

the formula I am supposed to use is tan 0= y/x
The book that I am using has the answer as 63.4 degrees but I cannot figure how they came up with this answer. Please help!:cry:

Welcome to PF. You may find wikipedia.org to be a valuable resource in your self-studies. Here is a starting page about vectors. You can also browse around wikipedia as other related topics come up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_(spatial)

Thanks for your help! I have figured out the right answer.

Related to Get Help with Vectors for New Physics Students

1. What is the best way to get started with physics as a new member?

The best way to get started with physics as a new member is to first familiarize yourself with the basics of the subject, such as fundamental concepts and equations. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics. You can then start practicing by solving problems and conducting experiments.

2. How can I become a member of the physics community?

To become a member of the physics community, you can join local physics societies or clubs, attend conferences and workshops, and participate in online forums and discussions. You can also consider pursuing a degree in physics or conducting research in the field.

3. What are some helpful resources for new members in physics?

Some helpful resources for new members in physics include textbooks, online lectures and courses, scientific journals and publications, and physics simulations and experiments. You can also reach out to professors, mentors, and fellow physicists for guidance and support.

4. What are some common challenges faced by new members in physics?

Some common challenges faced by new members in physics include understanding complex concepts, adapting to the rigorous mathematical approach, and keeping up with the fast-paced advancements in the field. It is important to stay persistent and seek help when needed.

5. How can I stay updated with the latest developments in physics?

To stay updated with the latest developments in physics, you can follow reputable scientific journals and publications, attend conferences and workshops, and join online communities and forums. You can also subscribe to newsletters and social media accounts of prominent physicists and research institutions.