Get equation for velocity of a satellite

In summary, to derive an equation for the velocity around Earth, you can rearrange either of the two equations V = √(GM/r) and V = 2πr/T to solve for r and then substitute the resulting expression into the other equation. This will give you an equation for velocity that only includes the given variables of G, ME, and T. This method avoids solving for r numerically.
rcrx
Derive an equation for the velocity around Earth. Satellite has no mass. Radius not given. Only period, G, and ME (earth)

G = 6.67X10^-11 nm^2/kg^2 | Earth = 5.98x10^24 kg | Period = T = 1.20x10^4s

I know I can find radius, and then find velocity. But I am supposed to derive an equation to suit the given information.

Homework Equations

V = √GM/r
V = 2πr / T

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not positive about my ability to cut r from the equations and merge them?

Physics news on Phys.org
You say that you know that you can solve for radius and then find velocity, but you're supposed to derive an equation to suit the given information.

Well, solving for radius and then velocity is in a way doing what they asked, except just don't solve for r numerically!

Re arrange one of the equations so it's r = [...] and then put the [...] in as r for the other equation.

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and their units. G is the universal gravitational constant with units of m^3/kg*s^2, ME is the mass of the Earth with units of kg, and T is the period of the satellite with units of s.

We can begin by using the equation for the velocity of a satellite in circular orbit, which is V = √GM/r. We know that the satellite has no mass, so we can remove the variable for mass from the equation, leaving us with V = √GM/r.

Next, we can use the given information to solve for r. The period of the satellite, T, is equal to 1.20x10^4s. We also know that the distance traveled in one orbit is equal to the circumference of the circle, which is 2πr. Therefore, we can set up an equation:

T = 2πr/V

Solving for r, we get r = VT/2π.

Now, we can substitute this value for r into the first equation:

V = √GM/(VT/2π)

Simplifying, we get V = √2πGM/T

We can then substitute in the values for G and ME:

V = √(2π)(6.67x10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2)(5.98x10^24 kg)/1.20x10^4s

Simplifying further, we get V = √1.19x10^14 m^2/s^2

Therefore, the final equation for the velocity of a satellite with no mass in orbit around Earth is V = 3.45x10^7 m/s.

In summary, by using the equations for velocity of a satellite and the circumference of a circle, we were able to derive an equation for the velocity of a satellite around Earth using the given information.

Related to Get equation for velocity of a satellite

1. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a satellite?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a satellite is V = √(GM/R), where V is the velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, and R is the distance between the satellite and the central body.

2. How is the velocity of a satellite related to its orbital period?

The velocity of a satellite is directly proportional to its orbital period. This means that as the velocity of a satellite increases, its orbital period also increases. This relationship is described by Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.

3. Why is the velocity of a satellite constant in a circular orbit?

In a circular orbit, the velocity of a satellite remains constant because the gravitational force of the central body is balanced by the centrifugal force of the satellite's motion. This results in a circular orbit where the satellite maintains a constant distance from the central body, and therefore a constant velocity.

4. Does the mass of the satellite affect its velocity?

Yes, the mass of the satellite does affect its velocity. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger mass will require a greater force to achieve the same velocity as a smaller mass.

5. How does the velocity of a satellite change in an elliptical orbit?

In an elliptical orbit, the velocity of a satellite changes as it moves closer to or further away from the central body. This is because the gravitational force of the central body is not constant throughout the orbit, so the satellite will experience changes in velocity as it moves through different points in its orbit. At its closest point (perigee), the satellite will have a higher velocity, while at its furthest point (apogee), the velocity will be lower.