German contributions to aviation

In summary: These books influenced research in both the USA and USSR and are still consulted today. Additionally, Max Munk developed the Munk Method, a method for predicting drag on aircraft.In summary, Germany made major contributions to aviation but the statement American, Russian or European,aircrafts all of them are German systems, ideas, experiences and technologiesis utterly absurd.
John Mcrain
I read lots of comments,text like this:"American, Russian or European,aircrafts all of them are German systems, ideas, experiences and technologies After World War II, Russia and America offered German scientists, engineers and researchers asylum and work under their supervision or punished with symbols of the Hitler regime, so most of them emigrated Scholars to those countries, the pride of German industry that astonished the world in the last century, Great Germany, had it not been for the sanctions on military industrialization, no one would have estimated it"

Also that Germans set basics of aerodynamics,Ludwing Prandtl, Max Munk , Dr. Woldemar Voigt , Dr. Adolph Busemann ,Dr. Richard Vogt, etc..

What do you think about contribution of Germany to aviation and how strong is Germany today compare to other countrys?

Physics news on Phys.org
John Mcrain said:
What do you think about contribution of Germany to aviation ...
Germany made major contributions to aviation but the statement
American, Russian or European,aircrafts all of them are German systems, ideas, experiences and technologies
is utterly absurd.

Germany learned rocketry from Robert Goddard, an American. A Brit (Frank Whittle) invented the modern jet engine. Others made major contributions as well.

Likes russ_watters, Leo Liu, Dr.D and 1 other person
The jet engine was independently invented by Pabst von Ohain in Germany, but no question Goddard was 'the' rocket pioneer.

etudiant said:
The jet engine was independently invented by Pabst von Ohain in Germany, but no question Goddard was 'the' rocket pioneer.
Yeah, I vaguely remembered that a German had co-invented the jet and should have mentioned it but my point remains valid.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
Yeah, I vaguely remembered that a German had co-invented the jet and should have mentioned it but my point remains valid.
How is Germany today compare to others aviation-countrys,if you must make TOP 5?
Do they still has military restrictions because of world war 2?

John Mcrain said:
American, Russian or European, aircrafts all of them are German systems...
Don't take this kind of thing seriously. While it's true that during the WWII some things in Germany was a bit ahead their time and this made scientists from Germany a rare and sought after commodity once the war ended, the actual contribution is seriously overestimated. It's a kind of idolization without much real basis.

Especially when the topic is limited to aviation. For example their submarines made far more impact on the subsequent designs of the winners. At least as far as I know.

Likes russ_watters
Why does it matter who are the top contributors to aviation now or historically? How do you even measure that? Total research output? Total "innovation?" Total expenditures? Any of those things but on a per capita basis?

Likes rude man, berkeman and phinds
I agree w/ Dr. Strangelove. What's the point of the question?

Likes boneh3ad
Will an anecdote suffice? In my youth I helped conduct electronic warfare exercises as an aggressor against NATO air forces circa 1970's. After several years conducting missions, I developed personal (non-scientific) rankings of participating air forces.
  1. USAF -- specifically Colorado national guard, contained the best fighter pilots, most Vietnam War veterans. Very difficult to defend against.
  2. RAF -- boldest bomber pilots in NATO, flew so low that dust obscured radar and visual returns. Formidable tactics.
  3. Luftwaffe -- highly coordinated operations and always tricky tactics.
In my professional opinion the Luftwaffe and RAF of those times were well matched. I give the RAF a slight nudge for their spectacular low level bombing techniques but the Luftwaffe pilots were highly skilled in electronic warfare and counter-measures. While these exercises predated German reunification, the Luftwaffe is/was a major contributor to NATO air forces.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, Astronuc and berkeman
phinds said:
I agree w/ Dr. Strangelove
LOL :smile:

Likes boneh3ad
@John Mcrain you have been asked a question. Twice. On this forum, it's considered good form to answer a question when you are asked.
phinds said:
I agree w/ Dr. Strangelove. What's the point of the question?

One of the major German contributions from the 1930s was S.F. Hoerner's books, Fluid Dynamic Drag, and Fluid Dynamic Lift. The contain vast amounts of empirical data.

What are the main German contributions to aviation?

Germany has made numerous contributions to aviation, including the development of the first jet engine, the first successful rocket-powered aircraft, and the first guided missiles. They also played a significant role in the development of airships and the creation of the first commercial airline.

Who were some notable German pioneers in aviation?

Some notable German pioneers in aviation include Otto Lilienthal, who made significant contributions to the development of gliders, and Hugo Junkers, who designed and built the first all-metal aircraft. Other notable figures include Willy Messerschmitt, who designed several important fighter planes, and Wernher von Braun, who was a key figure in the development of rocket technology.

What impact did German aviation have on World War II?

German aviation played a crucial role in World War II, with the Luftwaffe (German Air Force) being one of the most powerful and advanced air forces at the time. German aircraft, such as the Messerschmitt Bf 109 and the Focke-Wulf Fw 190, were highly successful in combat and helped the German military gain an advantage in the early years of the war.

How did German aviation evolve after World War II?

After World War II, Germany was prohibited from developing military aircraft, but they continued to make significant contributions to civil aviation. Companies like Airbus, which was founded by a German, became major players in the global aviation industry. Germany also played a key role in the development of European collaborations, such as the Eurofighter Typhoon and the Airbus A380.

What are some recent advancements in German aviation?

In recent years, Germany has continued to make advancements in aviation technology. They have developed advanced military aircraft, such as the Eurofighter Typhoon and the Tornado, and have also made significant contributions to the development of renewable energy-powered aircraft. Germany is also a leader in the field of air traffic control and aviation safety.