Geostationary orbit propagator

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in creating a longitude and drift rate propagator for a geostationary satellite due to the limited equations that only consider longitudinal acceleration. The speaker is seeking help in improving the accuracy of the propagator by incorporating perturbations caused by the moon, sun, and other unknown factors. They mention a possible solution involving Hill's equations and a software called GEODA.
sup3r_n00b
Hi guys,

I've been trying to make a longitude and drift rate propagator for a geostationary satellite but the equations do not take into account other perturbing forces apart from the Earth's triaxiality.

Longitude = Initial Longitude + Initial Drift Rate * Elapsed Time + 0.5 * Longitudinal Acceleration * (Elapsed Time)^2

Drift Rate = Initial Drift Rate + Longitudinal Acceleration * Elapsed Time

As you can see, the equations only consider the longitudinal acceleration of the satellite. I've compared the results using these equations from the results given by a flight dynamics software and it seems that there is a large dispcrepancy. I'm thinking that the above equations do not take into account the perturbations caused by the moon and the sun or other perturbations that I don't know about.

Can anyone please help me improve the accuracy of the propagator by adding the necessary corrections to the equation? I've been searching the internet for orbit propagators but all I've found are propagators for the orbital elements and the solution is quite complex. I know that the orbital elements can be converted into the longitude and drift rate but all I want is a simple equation that will directly predict the longitude at an elapsed time based from the initial longitude and drift rate.

Thanks and Regards,
sup3r_n00b

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I have not studied the details, but Montenbruck and Gill [1] describes a linearisation of the equations of motions for geostationary satellites that result in a set of ODE's known as Hill's equations or Clohessy-Wiltshire equations that can be integrated to a closed form solution involving secular and periodic oscillations. They also mention some software called GEODA for calculating such satellite tracks.

Perhaps this can provide you with more information you can search for.

[1] Satellite Orbits, Montenbruck and Gill, Springer, 2000.

Related to Geostationary orbit propagator

1. What is a geostationary orbit propagator?

A geostationary orbit propagator is a mathematical model used to calculate and predict the position and trajectory of a satellite in a geostationary orbit. This type of orbit is when a satellite orbits the Earth at the same speed and direction as the Earth's rotation, allowing it to appear stationary from the ground.

2. How does a geostationary orbit propagator work?

A geostationary orbit propagator works by using complex equations, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the satellite at any given time. It takes into account various factors such as the gravitational pull of the Earth, the satellite's mass and velocity, and any external forces acting on the satellite.

3. What is the purpose of a geostationary orbit propagator?

The purpose of a geostationary orbit propagator is to accurately predict the position and trajectory of a satellite in a geostationary orbit. This information is useful for satellite operators to ensure that their satellites stay in the correct orbit and for scientists to study the Earth's atmosphere and weather patterns.

4. What are the limitations of a geostationary orbit propagator?

One limitation of a geostationary orbit propagator is that it assumes a perfectly circular orbit and does not take into account any perturbations or disturbances that may affect the satellite's orbit. It also does not account for the effects of atmospheric drag or solar radiation pressure, which can cause the satellite's orbit to degrade over time.

5. How accurate is a geostationary orbit propagator?

The accuracy of a geostationary orbit propagator depends on the quality of the input data and the complexity of the model used. In general, it can predict the position of a satellite in a geostationary orbit with an error of less than one kilometer, which is considered very accurate for most applications.