Georgi-Glashow model of W bosons/photons

• I
  • Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the conversation discusses a model proposed by Georgi and Glashow in 1972 for describing W bosons and photons. The Lagrangian for this model includes a field strength tensor and gauge fields for the gauge group SO(3). The conversation then goes on to discuss the generator basis for SO(3) and how it can be applied to deduce the number of Goldstone bosons. However, it is pointed out that the notes are incorrect and it would be better to use the three Pauli matrices for the generator basis. The conversation concludes with a question about the transformation of the triplet field vector and the use of the Pauli matrices for the fundamental representation of SU(2) in this context.
CAF123
Gold Member
The following is from my notes:

In 1972, a model was proposed by Georgi and Glashow as a candidate theory describing W bosons and photons with Lagrangian $$\mathcal L = -\frac{1}{2} \text{Tr} F^{\mu \nu}F_{\mu \nu} + (D_{\mu} \phi)^T (D^{\mu} \phi) - \mu^2 \phi^T \phi - \lambda(\phi^T \phi)^2$$ with ##F_{\mu \nu}## the field strength tensor and ##A_{\mu}^a## the gauge fields of the gauge group SO(3), ##D_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} + ig A_{\mu}^a \tau^a##, and ##\phi## is a 3 component real scalar field.

It's clear that the generator basis is ##i(\tau)_{jk} = \frac{1}{2} (\delta_{jk} - \delta_{kj})## for ##1 \leq j < k \leq 3## which may be applied to the vacuum expectation value $$\phi_{min} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ v \end{pmatrix}$$ to deduce the number of Goldstone bosons, in accordance with Goldstone's theorem...

My question is simply, why is that a generator basis? First of all there are three generators in SO(3) so I expected to see another index on the ##\tau## to label each generator. Secondly, for any ##1 \leq j < k \leq 3## the components ##\tau_{jk}## are all identically zero (!). So clearly I am misunderstanding something here. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
The following is from my notes:

In 1972, a model was proposed by Georgi and Glashow as a candidate theory describing W bosons and photons with Lagrangian $$\mathcal L = -\frac{1}{2} \text{Tr} F^{\mu \nu}F_{\mu \nu} + (D_{\mu} \phi)^T (D^{\mu} \phi) - \mu^2 \phi^T \phi - \lambda(\phi^T \phi)^2$$ with ##F_{\mu \nu}## the field strength tensor and ##A_{\mu}^a## the gauge fields of the gauge group SO(3), ##D_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} + ig A_{\mu}^a \tau^a##, and ##\phi## is a 3 component real scalar field.

It's clear that the generator basis is ##i(\tau)_{jk} = \frac{1}{2} (\delta_{jk} - \delta_{kj})## for ##1 \leq j < k \leq 3## which may be applied to the vacuum expectation value $$\phi_{min} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ v \end{pmatrix}$$ to deduce the number of Goldstone bosons, in accordance with Goldstone's theorem...

My question is simply, why is that a generator basis? First of all there are three generators in SO(3) so I expected to see another index on the ##\tau## to label each generator. Secondly, for any ##1 \leq j < k \leq 3## the components ##\tau_{jk}## are all identically zero (!). So clearly I am misunderstanding something here. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Your understanding is correct and the notes are clearly wrong. It is better to simply take the three Pauli matrices and forget about this definition in terms of Kronecker delta (which does not make any sense as it is identically zero since the delay is symmetric as you know, and you are correct that one index is missing).

Hi nrqed,
nrqed said:
Your understanding is correct and the notes are clearly wrong. It is better to simply take the three Pauli matrices and forget about this definition in terms of Kronecker delta (which does not make any sense as it is identically zero since the delay is symmetric as you know, and you are correct that one index is missing).
Ok thanks. The triplet field vector would transform under the fundamental representation of SO(3) or adjoint representation of SU(2), right? But the Pauli matrices are used for the fundamental representation of SU(2) so is it a case I should use the linearised versions of the matrix representations for the generic rotations around the x,y,z axes for example to constitute the generators of SO(3)?

Related to Georgi-Glashow model of W bosons/photons

1. What is the Georgi-Glashow model of W bosons/photons?

The Georgi-Glashow model is a theoretical framework proposed by physicists Howard Georgi and Sheldon Glashow in the 1970s to explain the unification of electromagnetic and weak interactions in particle physics. It suggests that the W bosons and photons, which were originally thought to be separate particles, are actually different manifestations of a single particle called the electroweak boson.

2. How does the Georgi-Glashow model explain the unification of electromagnetic and weak interactions?

The model proposes that the electroweak boson has two different components: the W boson, which is responsible for weak interactions, and the photon, which is responsible for electromagnetic interactions. This unification is possible because the two components are connected through a process called spontaneous symmetry breaking, which gives the W boson its mass while leaving the photon massless.

3. What evidence supports the Georgi-Glashow model?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the model comes from the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012. The Higgs boson is a key component of the spontaneous symmetry breaking process in the Georgi-Glashow model. Additionally, experiments at particle accelerators have confirmed the predictions of the model for the behavior of W bosons and photons.

4. Are there any limitations to the Georgi-Glashow model?

While the model has been successful in explaining the unification of electromagnetic and weak interactions, it does not incorporate the strong interaction, which is responsible for holding protons and neutrons together in the nucleus of an atom. It also does not account for gravity, which is described by a separate theory called general relativity.

5. How has the Georgi-Glashow model contributed to our understanding of particle physics?

The Georgi-Glashow model has been a crucial step towards developing a unified theory of all fundamental interactions in the universe. It has also led to the development of other theories, such as the Standard Model, which incorporates the strong interaction and has been incredibly successful in predicting and explaining the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.