Figuring Out How Much HCl for Ba(OH)2 Reaction

In summary, a volume of 61.2 mL of .273 Molarity HCl is required to react completely with 50.00 mL of .167 Molarity of Barium Hydroxide. The confusion about doubling the amount of Hydrogen is due to the fact that for every molecule of Ba(OH)2, two molecules of HCl are needed to react. The professor's method involves converting to millimoles per milliliters, and using HCl with OH2, which makes sense based on the formula.
Integral0
What volume of .273 Molarity HCl is required to react completely with 50.00 mL of .167 Molarity of Barium Hydroxide?

2 HCl + Ba(OH)2 -> 2 H20 + BaCl

--------------------------------------------

I am confused about this problem because my profe told me that you need to double the amount of Hydrogen b/c there are 2 moles of HCl. Can someone explain this?

----------------------------------------

Also, my profe solved the problem by this method:

50.00 mL x L/1000 x .167 mol = 8.35 x 10^-3 mol Ba(OH)2 which means Ba is 8.35 x 10^-3 mol. OH is 8.35 x 10^-3 mol.

This is where I get confused.

Then he took 2 mol HCl x (8.35 x 10^-3 OH) x (1L/.273) mol x 10^3 mL of HCl.

I don't understand why he used HCl with OH and how he canceled the OH out to get the HCl.

Thanks for the help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Integral0
What volume of .273 Molarity HCl is required to react completely with 50.00 mL of .167 Molarity of Barium Hydroxide?

2 HCl + Ba(OH)2 -> 2 H20 + BaCl

--------------------------------------------

I am confused about this problem because my profe told me that you need to double the amount of Hydrogen b/c there are 2 moles of HCl. Can someone explain this?
Hi there Integral0!

For your first question, I'll explain it step by step.

First, calculate how many mmols of Ba(OH)2 you have got.
50 ml * 0.167 mmol/ml = 8.35 mmol

Now, the equation says the following: for every molecule of Ba(OH)2 you have got, you'll need TWO molecules of HCl to react with it.

That is why you have to multiply the amount of Ba(OH)2 (don't divide it by two, otherwise the formula would've read 0.5 HCl + Ba(OH)2 ! )

So: 8.35 * 2 = 16.7 mmol of HCl is needed
Your concentration is 0.273 mmol/ml
16.7 / 0.273 = 61.2 ml HCl

Does that make sense to you?

Originally posted by Integral0
Also, my profe solved the problem by this method:

50.00 mL x L/1000 x .167 mol = 8.35 x 10^-3 mol Ba(OH)2 which means Ba is 8.35 x 10^-3 mol. OH is 8.35 x 10^-3 mol.

This is where I get confused.

Then he took 2 mol HCl x (8.35 x 10^-3 OH) x (1L/.273) mol x 10^3 mL of HCl.

I don't understand why he used HCl with OH and how he canceled the OH out to get the HCl.

Thanks for the help!
Wow :) your proffessor knows how to write a complex equation :)

I always like to write things step by step: what do I have got and what do I need?

I also like to keep things simple by not calculating with the 10^-3 as you saw, I didn't use it at all to solve the problem, but came to the same answer.

A molarity is expressed as mole per liter. But you can change it into anything you like, millimole per milliliter, micromole per microliter. As long as the units stay the same at both sides!

Since the units are displayed in milliliters, I decided to calculate the molarities in millimoles per milliliters (mmol/ml).

As for the confusion why he used HCl with OH, that must have been a typo. He took HCl with OH2! That makes sense, since those are reacting with each other.

And as the formula dictates, for every molecule of OH2 that you have got, you'll need TWO molecules of HCl.

thank you

thank you Monique

You are welcome.

1. How do I calculate the amount of HCl needed for a reaction with Ba(OH)2?

To figure out the amount of HCl needed for a reaction with Ba(OH)2, you will need to use the molarity and volume of Ba(OH)2 and the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. You can then use the mole ratio between HCl and Ba(OH)2 to determine the amount of HCl needed.

2. What is the molarity of Ba(OH)2 and HCl?

The molarity of a solution is the number of moles of solute (Ba(OH)2 or HCl) per liter of solution. You can find the molarity of a solution by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. How do I determine the volume of Ba(OH)2 needed for a reaction?

You can determine the volume of Ba(OH)2 needed for a reaction by using the molarity and amount of HCl needed for the reaction. Use the mole ratio between HCl and Ba(OH)2 to calculate the amount of Ba(OH)2 needed, then divide by the molarity to find the volume in liters.

4. What is the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between HCl and Ba(OH)2?

The balanced chemical equation for the reaction between HCl and Ba(OH)2 is: Ba(OH)2 + 2HCl -> BaCl2 + 2H2O. This means that for every 1 mole of Ba(OH)2, you will need 2 moles of HCl for the reaction to occur.

5. Can I use any concentration of HCl for the reaction with Ba(OH)2?

No, you cannot use any concentration of HCl for the reaction with Ba(OH)2. The concentration of HCl must be equal to or greater than the molarity of Ba(OH)2 in order for the reaction to occur completely. Otherwise, there will be excess Ba(OH)2 left over after the reaction is complete.