Looking for good overview (book or paper) of standard model

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good textbook or survey paper on the standard model of particle physics. The participants also share their personal technical level and offer recommendations for helpful resources, including the book by Cottingham and Greenwood, the book by Halsen & Martin, and the Physical Review website which provides up-to-date information on the standard model.
davelee
Hi all,
I've decided to read up on particle physics in my spare time for my own edification, but I've had some trouble locating a good textbook/survey paper with a succinct, technical and up-to-date description of the standard model. The text or two that i do have on hand were published in the 80's, and are woefully out of date (e.g. they postulate the existence of the top quark, rather than mention the actual discovery.)

Quick background on my technical level:
Did physics as an undergrad, studied Classical Mechanics, Basic QM (no QED, QCD), Thermo, E&M, vector analysis, etc.. Didn't take plasma, nuclear, General relativity, etc..
Also, ugly wavefunctions in all their multi-term glory don't scare me, but get tedious. Any pointers towards finding "big picture" books would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The book by Cottingham and Greenwood is good.

Thanks, i'll check it out

Halsen & Martin is a nice one too. Although it may already suffer from an excess of equationd for your interests...

My personal favorite is the Physical Review. Its on the web at http://pdg.lbl.gov/. You can order the review there, too, but I forget how much it costs. It contains the best, most up-to-date version of the SM, if you are willing to sift through all of the technical terms and data. It is updated every year with the latest measurements in all areas of research.

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in physics that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It is currently the most successful and accurate theory we have for understanding the behavior of these particles.

2. What are the main components of the Standard Model?

The main components of the Standard Model include six types of quarks, six types of leptons, and four fundamental forces: gravity, electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force.

3. How does the Standard Model explain the behavior of particles?

The Standard Model explains the behavior of particles through the interactions of these fundamental forces. Quarks and leptons interact with each other through the exchange of force-carrying particles, called bosons, which are responsible for the different types of forces.

4. What are the current limitations of the Standard Model?

While the Standard Model has been incredibly successful in predicting and explaining the behavior of particles, it is not a complete theory of the universe. It does not include gravity, and there are still many unanswered questions, such as the nature of dark matter and dark energy.

5. Where can I find a good overview of the Standard Model?

There are many books and papers that provide a comprehensive overview of the Standard Model. Some recommended resources include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths and "The Particle Odyssey" by Frank Close, Michael Marten, and Christine Sutton.