Geometry Problem: Finding the Sum of Perpendiculars in an Equilateral Triangle

• Thread starter sankalpmittal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the homework statement asks for the sum of the perpendiculars PD, PE, and PF to the three sides of an equilateral triangle. The equation used to solve the problem is y = x + 2*sqrt(3)/3.
sankalpmittal

Homework Statement

Let ABC be an equilateral triangle with side 10 cm and let P be a point inside the triangle at a distance of 2 cm from the side AB. Given --> AB = BC = CA = 10cm and PD = 2 cm. If PD, PE, PF are the perpendiculars to the three sides, find out the sum, PD + PE + PF.

Here is the image : http://postimage.org/image/1lt6hjgw4/

Homework Equations

I am not sure which equation is most relevant being a geometry question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using similarity of triangles and Pythagoras theorem and trigonometry. I tried messing up all these things but failed to get the solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to express to area of the triangle with PE, PD and PF and with the side of the equilateral triangle.

ehild

ehild said:
Try to express to area of the triangle with PE, PD and PF and with the side of the equilateral triangle.

ehild

This is how I worked : http://postimage.org/image/1wf8ya2sk/
Am I correct ?

I found these equations :

x + 2*sqrt(3)/3 = r+y
x+y+r = 10
x-r-y= - 2*sqrt(3)/3

Am I Correct ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can not follow you. Why did you note by x both the upper and lower parts on the left-hand side of the triangle? The problem can be certainly solved by using similar triangles, but it would be complicated.

Why do you not try the area method? What are the areas of the coloured triangles in terms of PD, PE, PF? What is the area of the big triangle?

ehild

Attachments

• triangle.JPG
    triangle.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
ehild said:
I can not follow you. Why did you note by x both the upper and lower parts on the left-hand side of the triangle? The problem can be certainly solved by using similar triangles, but it would be complicated.

Why do you not try the area method? What are the areas of the coloured triangles in terms of PD, PE, PF? What is the area of the big triangle?

ehild

OK , I get it .

Area of green Δ = 1/2 x 10 x PE = 5PE
Area of yellow Δ = 1/2 x 10 x PF = 5PF
Area of light blue Δ = 1/2 x 10 x PD = 5PD

Area of big Δ = sqrt(3)/4 x 100 = 25 sqrt(3)

5(PE + PF + PD) = 25 sqrt(3)
PE + PF + PD = 8.66025 cm approx.

Now , I can't understand why they gave me the length of PD. There was no need of it.

Thanks for the efforts.
:smile:

sankalpmittal said:
PE + PF + PD = 8.66025 cm approx.

Now , I can't understand why they gave me the length of PD. There was no need of it.
To confuse the student. Really. Those evil teachers (including myself) do such things on purpose.:devil:

ehild

ehild said:
To confuse the student. Really. Those evil teachers (including myself) do such things on purpose.:devil:

ehild

Really ? Well that's strange and evil for sure
devil-devil-monster-evil-smiley-emoticon-000132-large.gif

Anyways , thanks for your efforts !

This is a very good picture of me. Have we met before? :smile:

ehild

ehild said:
This is a very good picture of me. Have we met before? :smile:

ehild

No.:smile:

That is just a smiley which I think you liked.
:smile:
Thanks again.

Related to Geometry Problem: Finding the Sum of Perpendiculars in an Equilateral Triangle

1. What is the definition of geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, relative positions of figures, and the properties of space.

2. What are the different types of geometry?

The main types of geometry are Euclidean geometry, which deals with flat or two-dimensional figures, and non-Euclidean geometry, which deals with curved or three-dimensional figures. Other types include projective geometry, analytic geometry, and differential geometry.

3. How is geometry used in real life?

Geometry has many practical applications in everyday life, such as designing buildings, creating maps, and measuring distances and angles. It is also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics.

4. What are the basic elements of geometry?

The basic elements of geometry are points, lines, and planes. Points have no size or shape, lines are straight or curved paths with no thickness, and planes are flat surfaces that extend infinitely in all directions.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in geometry?

To improve your problem-solving skills in geometry, it is important to have a solid understanding of the basic concepts, formulas, and properties. Practice regularly by solving a variety of problems and seek help from teachers or online resources when needed.