Geometry & Physics: How Much Math Involves Geometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggles with geometry in high school and their plans to take physics in their senior year. They question how much of physics math will deal with geometry and receive advice on not letting past performance affect future goals. The conversation also mentions that physics will involve applying geometry, particularly with vectors and solving systems of equations. However, it is not overly complicated geometry and book recommendations are suggested for self-teaching.
austim14
I did bad in geometry my sophomore yr of high school. Sr. Year I plan on taking physics. How much of physics math deals with geometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
austim14 said:
I did bad in geometry my sophomore yr of high school. Sr. Year I plan on taking physics. How much of physics math deals with geometry?

Do you see any reason why you could not improve your geometry?

If you really want to be in physics, you probably like geometry too. Maybe don't damn your future for something that happened in the past. Unsolicited opinion, I know, but food for thought?

I might depend on WHY you did bad.

Was your high school geometry class a proofs-based class (mine was)? If it was proofs-based I probably wouldn't worry much. If you later did well in something more mechanical and numerical (like perhaps your per-calculus class) I'd say you're ok. Physics will deal more with the application of geometry.

But if you struggle with things like sine versus cosine, etc... not good. You can probably, however, get some concise, summary-style book recommendations from someone on here to reteach yourself the basics.

Yea it was mostly proofs and I sucked at that.

Since it's high school physics, I'm assuming that it's algebra based physics.

Most of what you do will involve solving systems of equation (when you have multiple equations, and multiple variables).

You will have to deal with vectors, which involves the Pythagorean theorem, as well as trigonometry, but it's not terribly complicated geometry.

Related to Geometry & Physics: How Much Math Involves Geometry?

1. What is the relationship between geometry and physics?

The relationship between geometry and physics is that geometry provides the mathematical tools and concepts for understanding the physical world. It allows us to describe and analyze the shape, size, and position of objects, as well as the relationships between them.

2. How much math is involved in studying geometry and physics?

Studying geometry and physics requires a significant amount of math. In addition to basic mathematical concepts such as algebra and trigonometry, one must also have a strong understanding of calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to fully comprehend the principles and theories of these subjects.

3. Can you give an example of how geometry is used in physics?

One example of how geometry is used in physics is in the study of optics. The branch of geometry known as geometric optics deals with the behavior of light as it travels through different mediums and interacts with different objects. This allows physicists to understand and predict phenomena such as reflection, refraction, and diffraction.

4. How does geometry help us understand the physical world?

Geometry helps us understand the physical world by providing a framework for describing and analyzing the relationships between objects and their properties. By using geometric principles, we can model and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as the motion of objects, the shape of planetary orbits, and the trajectory of projectiles.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to study geometry and physics?

While a strong background in math is not necessarily required to study geometry and physics, it is highly recommended. These subjects involve complex mathematical concepts and equations, and having a solid foundation in math can greatly aid in understanding and applying these principles.