Geometry of the atomic structure

In summary, the use of spherical coordinates to solve the time-dependent and time-independent Schrodinger equations is a convenient choice due to the azimuthal symmetry of the problem. This choice is supported by the assumption made by Bohr that the hydrogen atom can be modeled as a spherical system. Additionally, the accuracy of quantum mechanics as a model has further solidified this assumption. The use of spherical coordinates for the hydrogen atom is also supported by the experimentally verified fact that the electric field points radially outward. However, other coordinate systems such as parabolic coordinates can also be used to solve the Schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom.
res3210
Hey guys,

I was looking at both the time-dependent and time-independent schrodinger equations, and I notice that we often choose to solve these in spherical coordinates. I understand that we do this because they are convenient for problems with azimuthal symmetry. However, how do we know that this geometric model is actually accurate? Is it because Bohr made the assumption that the hydrogen atom can be modeled as a spherical system? I understand that QM has been tested extensively and we have seen that it is a very accurate model, is it because of this that we assume that our geometric assumptions are correct?

Thanks for the help and information in advance,

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
res3210 said:
Hey guys,

I was looking at both the time-dependent and time-independent schrodinger equations, and I notice that we often choose to solve these in spherical coordinates. I understand that we do this because they are convenient for problems with azimuthal symmetry. However, how do we know that this geometric model is actually accurate? Is it because Bohr made the assumption that the hydrogen atom can be modeled as a spherical system? I understand that QM has been tested extensively and we have seen that it is a very accurate model, is it because of this that we assume that our geometric assumptions are correct?

Ryan

Hum... forget about QM. When you were doing your E&M problem, and you were given a central, spherically symmetric potential or charge distribution, how did you know that choosing spherical coordinate was the best choice?

Once you have answered that, look at the potential term in the Schrodinger equation for the H atom, and compare.

Zz.

res3210 said:
Hey guys,

Ryan

There are images of atoms taken by scanning tunneling microscopes. They are easy to find online.

Of course, it is because the electric field points radially outward, which is experimentally verified. So I suppose we assume the same thing for H. If we see that it behaves electrically equivalent to an electrically charged sphere, then that should lead us to the spherical geometry conclusion.

We write down the Schrodinger equation for a Coulomb potential, V = Ze2/r. At that point the physical assumptions are done with, and we can solve that equation any way we like. Spherical coordinates are an obvious choice but not the only one. In fact the hydrogen atom can be solved in parabolic coordinates also. See "www.ejournal.unam.mx/rmf/no546/RMF005400609.pdf‎" . Also here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Geometry of the atomic structure

1. What is the atomic structure?

The atomic structure refers to the arrangement and organization of the subatomic particles within an atom, including protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. How is the atomic structure studied?

The atomic structure is studied using various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, electron microscopy, and spectroscopy, which allow scientists to visualize and analyze the arrangement of atoms within a molecule.

3. What is the significance of the atomic structure?

The atomic structure is significant because it determines the physical and chemical properties of an element, including its reactivity, bonding behavior, and overall behavior in chemical reactions.

4. How is the atomic structure related to the periodic table?

The atomic structure is directly related to the periodic table, as the number of protons in an atom's nucleus (atomic number) determines its placement in the periodic table and its chemical properties.

5. Are all atoms structured the same way?

No, atoms can have different atomic structures depending on the element and its atomic number. For example, carbon atoms have six protons, while oxygen atoms have eight protons, leading to different arrangements of their subatomic particles.