Ya Give Me Feva: Unlocking the Mysteries of A Feverish Feeling

• Thread starter LURCH
  • Start date
In summary: You should consult a doctor if the fever is persisting for more than 3 weeks.In summary, the person's illness caused an increase in inflammation, which led to the person feeling arthritic. If the fever lasts more than 14 days, it may be due to cancer.
LURCH
Science Advisor
"Ya Give Me Feva..".

Just got over a rather lengthy illness, and my curiosity was pigued. Can anyone tell me what causes the arthritic feelings one gets when running a fever for a long time? Is there something being deposited in the joints, like when a diver gets the bends, or perhaps the muscles or tendons contract? I can't be the only one who wonders this, so rather than just looking up the answers, I thought I'd ask here so others can benifit.

Biology news on Phys.org
Arthritic feelings is due to an inflammation of your joint.

When you running a fever, your immune system is running inflammation (bacteria and virus grow well at 37C, as temperature rise bacteria and viruses start to have problem growing). As fever and the disease goes on bacteria migth go into your joint and the inflammation process get into your joint in order to eliminate the bacteria or virus.

What your are feeling is normal unless its been for more than 14 days (normal immune responce last 14 days) than you should consult a doctor.

Originally posted by iansmith
Arthritic feelings is due to an inflammation of your joint.

When you running a fever, your immune system is running inflammation (bacteria and virus grow well at 37C, as temperature rise bacteria and viruses start to have problem growing). As fever and the disease goes on bacteria migth go into your joint and the inflammation process get into your joint in order to eliminate the bacteria or virus.

What your are feeling is normal unless its been for more than 14 days (normal immune responce last 14 days) than you should consult a doctor.

just out of cuiriousity if it lasts more than 14 days what might it be?

im not sick and avoiding the doctor I am just interested

It migth be bacteria or virus but your body is having problem to figth them. Therefore you migth require antibiotics or antiviral medication to help

If your older (above 50 year old) and the fever has been lasting for a while it migth be cancer. You immune system is triyng to figth the cancer but it is not capable of doing it. As you get older your immune system is getting weaker. Not all cancer have fever as a symtomps.

1. What is a fever and how does it happen?

A fever is a temporary increase in body temperature that is usually a sign of an underlying infection or illness. It happens when your body's immune system is activated and releases chemicals that cause your body's temperature to rise.

2. How do fevers affect the body?

Fevers can affect the body in various ways. They can help fight off infections by making the body less hospitable for bacteria and viruses. However, high fevers can also cause discomfort, dehydration, and other symptoms such as chills and sweating.

3. What is the normal range for a fever?

The normal range for a fever varies, but it is generally considered to be between 98.6°F (37°C) and 100.4°F (38°C). A temperature above 100.4°F is usually considered a fever.

4. When should a fever be treated?

Fevers do not always require treatment, as they are often a sign that the body is fighting off an infection. However, if the fever is causing discomfort or is above 102°F (38.9°C) in adults or 100.4°F (38°C) in children, it is recommended to seek medical attention.

5. How can fevers be treated?

Treatment for fevers often involves managing the symptoms, such as taking over-the-counter medications to reduce fever and discomfort. It is also important to stay hydrated and get plenty of rest. In some cases, antibiotics may be necessary if the fever is caused by a bacterial infection.