Geometrical optics LENSES Refraction

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance between foci for red and violet beams passing through a glass lens with different refractive indices for each color. The lens has a radius of 1m and the lens maker's formula can be used to solve the problem by relating the lens radius to the angle of incidence.
kthouz

Homework Statement

A lens is made of glass for which the refractive index is n[r]=1.5 for red beams and n[v]=1.52 for violet beams. radii of both surfaces are the same and equal R=1m. Find the distance between foci for red and violet beams

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

I tried to sketch the situation. there i can get all possible relations between angles on both of the beams. The incident angle will be the same for both two beams. But now, how can i introduce the radius in my relations. Is there any formula conecting a lense's radius with the angle of incidence?

thank you Kurdt.

Related to Geometrical optics LENSES Refraction

1. What is the difference between convex and concave lenses?

Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge towards a focal point. Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge.

2. How do lenses refract light?

Lenses refract light by changing the direction of light rays as they pass through the lens. The amount of refraction is determined by the shape of the lens and the difference in refractive index between the lens and the surrounding medium.

3. What is the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and its focal point, where parallel light rays converge or diverge after passing through the lens. It is measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm).

4. How does the shape of a lens affect its properties?

The shape of a lens determines how light rays will be refracted as they pass through. A thicker lens will cause more refraction, while a thinner lens will cause less. The shape also determines the focal length and the type of image formed (real or virtual) by the lens.

5. What is the difference between a converging and a diverging lens?

A converging lens (convex) causes light rays to converge towards a focal point, while a diverging lens (concave) causes light rays to diverge. Converging lenses are used to form real images, while diverging lenses are used to form virtual images.