Geometrical interpretation of this coordinate transformation

In summary, this individual is trying to integrate from x=0 to x=1 over a curve, and is having trouble with the coordinate system. They need help finding the limits of the integration and determining the coordinates of the new limits.
jam_27
How can I geometrically interpret this coordinate transformation (from x,y space to [itex]\check{x}[/itex],[itex]\check{y}[/itex] space)?

x = [itex]\check{x}[/itex]cos(β) - [itex]\check{y}[/itex]sin(β)
y = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]([itex]\check{x}[/itex]2 -[itex]\check{y}[/itex]2)sin(2β) -[itex]\check{x}[/itex][itex]\check{y}[/itex]cos (2β)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean to interpret the transformation from x'y' to xy space?

This looks like a homework assignment so you need to show some work for us to help you. I would suggest trying to sketch it out and then interpret your sketch of coordinate lines.

So to start if you pick beta to be zero radians then x=x' and y= - x'y'

then sub in x for x' you get y = - x^2 which is what kind of curve?

Its not a HW problem. I am trying to solve an integral where the integrand is a transcendental function.

Using the coordinate transformation here, I came up with the above coordinate transformation for my case. What I need to do now is to draw the new [itex]\hat{x}[/itex][itex]\hat{y}[/itex] on top of x,y cartesian coordinate system to get the new limits of integration, before attempting to solve the integral.

The integral is from (0 → 1) in x,y so I need to figure out only the upper limit of integration in the new coordinate system. Also, both sin (β) and cos (β) are known.

So, I need some direction on how to proceed to draw the new coordinate system on x,y.

Let me know if more information is required.

Last edited:
I don't know how to help at this point. Can you show us the integral?

Are you integrating from x=0 to x=1 over some curve in x and y ie a line integral? and now you have a new coordinate system x', y' where you need to find the x'(0,y(0)) and x'(1,y(1)) or something like that? and the beta is a constant or does it vary with x' and y'?

jedishrfu said:
I don't know how to help at this point. Can you show us the integral?

Are you integrating from x=0 to x=1 over some curve in x and y ie a line integral? and now you have a new coordinate system x', y' where you need to find the x'(0,y(0)) and x'(1,y(1)) or something like that? and the beta is a constant or does it vary with x' and y'?

Exactly. So, assuming I have done everything correctly - here are the details.

I am trying to evaluate

01y(x,y)dx, where

y= (a+b)*x - b*x*exp(p*x+q*y) - c*(p*x2 + q*y)

with a, b, c, p and q all known constants. Also, its known that y = 0 at x = 0 and y = 0 at x =1.

Now using the coordinate transformation above, and sin(β) = p/h and cos (β) = q/h together with h2 = p2 + q2, I get (in the transformed coordinates)

[itex]\check{y}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{h}{p}[/itex] [(a + b) - b*exp (h*[itex]\check{x}[/itex]) - (c*h + q/h)[itex]\check{x}[/itex]] which is only a function of [itex]\check{x}[/itex] in R.H.S.

Now I need to evaluate UL [itex]\check{y}[/itex]d[itex]\check{x}[/itex]. U and L need to be determined using a geometric interpretation of the new transformed coordinates. U should 0 but I need some direction on how to determine L.

Ideally I think I need to draw the new coordinate system on x,y which I am not good at. Any help is much appreciated.

If this is a line integral can't you parameterize it and then using the parametrized equations to determine the upper and lower limits.

If you're trying to plot the coordinate lines to get an understanding of the mapping then perhaps MATLAB (or Freemat) could do that given your equations and iterating them where you vary the beta for each plot line holding x and then y constant for each line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean that I integrate in (x,y) but over the curve [itex]\check{y}[/itex]?

Related to Geometrical interpretation of this coordinate transformation

What is a coordinate transformation?

A coordinate transformation is a mathematical process that changes the coordinates of a point in one coordinate system to the coordinates of the same point in a different coordinate system.

What is the geometrical interpretation of a coordinate transformation?

The geometrical interpretation of a coordinate transformation is the visual representation of how the coordinates of a point change when the point is transformed from one coordinate system to another. This can be represented by geometric figures or graphs.

What are the main types of coordinate transformations?

The main types of coordinate transformations are translation, rotation, scaling, and reflection. Translation involves shifting the coordinates of a point along a specified direction and distance. Rotation involves rotating the coordinates of a point around a fixed point. Scaling involves changing the size of the coordinates of a point by a certain factor. Reflection involves flipping the coordinates of a point across a line or plane.

How are coordinate transformations used in science?

Coordinate transformations are used in science to convert measurements and data from one coordinate system to another, allowing for easier analysis and comparison. They are also used in fields such as physics and engineering to model and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space.

What are some real-world applications of coordinate transformations?

Coordinate transformations have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as computer graphics, GPS navigation, satellite imaging, and geographic information systems. They are also used in robotics and computer-aided design to manipulate and control the movement of objects. In physics, coordinate transformations are essential for understanding the motion and interactions of particles in space.