Choosing Memory for Asus A7N8X and Athlon XP2500 PC Build

In summary, the conversation is about building a PC from scratch, with the main components being an Asus a7n8x motherboard and an anthon xp2500 processor. The person is seeking advice on which memory would work best with this combination, and it is recommended to choose one of the memory types tested and recommended by the motherboard manufacturer. The importance of proper cooling is also mentioned, especially for AMD processors. There is a discussion about the importance of choosing good quality memory, with the recommendation to not cheap out on it. It is also mentioned that the motherboard can handle PC3200 memory, but if the person is not planning on overclocking, PC2700 memory would be sufficient. The conversation also touches on upgrading memory for a notebook and
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
hi
i am going to build a pc from scratch, i have chosen a
Asus a7n8x motherboard and an anthon xp2500 processor,
but I am stuck choosing memory, can anyone tell me what
memory will work best with this combo?

Computer science news on Phys.org
An anthon eh. Must be a custom made processor. :wink:

Motherboard manufactors most of the time tell you which type of memory it has been tested with. You should be fine if you pick one of them:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?langs=09&m=A7N8X

Look at the bottom of the page.

thanks for help DDURADO is my choice not good? or have
i missed something?

wolram said:
thanks for help DDURADO is my choice not good? or have
i missed something?

He's messing with you because you spelled "Athlon" wrong.

There's nothing wrong with using Asus or Athlon. Right DDURADO? Just make sure you provide adequate cooling (a good CPU fan and at least one case fan would be a good idea). They are better with heat then they used to be, but they don't handle it as well as an Intel.

Your choices are good. Just make sure to have proper cooling as artman suggested. AMD's latest chips can handle up to 95 Degrees C while the intels can handle 85~90 Degress C. Note, this is core temperature. So whatever your motherboard tells you add another 20 degrees.

What kind of RAM? The best, that's what kind! If you get the best RAM, you have the ability to overclock the most. It's best to keep the RAM syncronous with the FSB, and the FSB is what you boost to overclock the CPU.
Let me give you an example of how buying cheap ram will screw you over. I have an athlon2500+ which is meant to run at 166mhz FSB (PC2700 RAM) with a multiplier of 11. If I make the RAM asyncronous with the FSB (only 80%), I can overclock the FSB up to 215, but since I want to keep the RAM syncronous with the FSB, I don't do that. Because I bought PC2700 RAM (166mhz default), I can only overclock the ram to 200mhz before it crashes in games. Compare the difference in FSB * multiplier and you can see how much CPU power I can't have because I cheaped out on ram. 15 * 11 = 165mhz. That extra 165mhz is quite a difference from what the computer should be. If I had good ram (PC3200), I could overclock my system by 30% ((215/166) - 1). Since I have cheap PC2700 RAM, I can only overclock by 20% ((200/166) - 1).

I've learned from several bad experiences that you should never cheap out on stuff.

btw, you have the same CPU and similar mobo as me. My mobo is an A7N8X-X

wolram said:
hi
i am going to build a pc from scratch, i have chosen a
Asus a7n8x motherboard and an anthon xp2500 processor,
but I am stuck choosing memory, can anyone tell me what
memory will work best with this combo?
Well, the motherboard can handle PC3200, you'll never reach that speed with the processor you're wanting (unless you are successful at overclocking), so if you're not an overclocker I would recomment PC2700 memory.

by Boulder Head.
Well, the motherboard can handle PC3200, you'll never reach that speed with the processor you're wanting (unless you are successful at overclocking), so if you're not an overclocker I would recomment PC2700 memory.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for help advice all.
It was the cost of memory, as I'm not going to be playing games,
"i don't understand most of them", i thought i will build a solid stable
platform that is expandable in future, if needed, and I've spent the
money saved on expensive memory on good quality case and fans.

Last edited:
That seems sensible to me, ahhight.

i upgrade my notebook memory from 256MB to 512MB, but it doesn't run significantly faster.

my CPU is celeron 2.4MHz,
i think i need to upgrade it to P4.

Are CPUs easily swapped in modern laptops ?

BoulderHead said:
Are CPUs easily swapped in modern laptops ?

it is better to ask the shop's technician to change CPU for you.
you may damage the motherboard and irrepairable, you will cry... :cry:

I trust Crucial for memory.
Here's stuff for the A7N8X
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=A7N8X&submit=Go [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What type of memory is compatible with the Asus A7N8X and Athlon XP2500 PC?

The Asus A7N8X and Athlon XP2500 PC is compatible with DDR (Double Data Rate) memory. Specifically, it supports DDR400/DDR333/DDR266 memory modules.

2. How much memory can the Asus A7N8X and Athlon XP2500 PC support?

The Asus A7N8X and Athlon XP2500 PC has 3 memory slots, each supporting up to 1GB of memory. This means that the maximum memory capacity for this PC is 3GB.

3. Can I mix and match different brands of memory for this PC?

It is generally recommended to use memory from the same brand and with the same specifications for optimal performance. However, if the memory modules are of the same type and speed, they should be compatible with each other.

4. What is the recommended memory speed for this PC build?

The recommended memory speed for the Asus A7N8X and Athlon XP2500 PC is DDR400. However, it can also support DDR333 and DDR266 speeds. It is important to note that the memory speed should match the FSB (front-side bus) speed of the processor for optimal performance.

5. Is there a maximum memory capacity for each memory slot?

The maximum memory capacity for each memory slot on the Asus A7N8X and Athlon XP2500 PC is 1GB. It is not recommended to exceed this limit as it may cause stability issues.