Source for degenerate semiconductor?

In summary, the conversation involves someone looking for a large amount of degenerate semiconducting wire made of aluminum or copper alloyed with a little iron, with a huge relaxation time and uniformity throughout the length of the material. They suggest checking the Physics Today Buyers Guide for potential options. The conversation ends with someone providing a link to the guide.
Jonathan
Do you all know where and for how much money I can get a large amount of degenerate semiconducting wire? It'll probably be aluminum or copper alloyed with a little iron, but I really don't care what it's made of, as long as it has a huge relaxation time and that I can be quite sure of what that time is and that it is uniform in the whole length of this material.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does no one ever visit this forum?!

check the Physics Todays Buyers Guide, might find something there.

JMD

Where do I find that?

Here you go

http://www.physicstoday.com/guide/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a degenerate semiconductor?

A degenerate semiconductor is a type of semiconductor material that has a high concentration of free charge carriers, such as electrons or holes. This high concentration is typically achieved through doping, where impurities are intentionally added to the material.

2. How does a degenerate semiconductor differ from a non-degenerate semiconductor?

A non-degenerate semiconductor has a lower concentration of free charge carriers and behaves more like an insulator. In a degenerate semiconductor, the high concentration of charge carriers allows for better electrical conductivity and other unique properties.

3. What is the source of degenerate semiconductors?

The source of degenerate semiconductors is typically through the process of doping. This involves adding impurities, such as phosphorus or boron, to the semiconductor material to increase the concentration of free charge carriers.

4. What are some applications of degenerate semiconductors?

Degenerate semiconductors have many practical applications in electronic devices. They are commonly used in transistors, diodes, and other components of electronic circuits. They are also used in solar cells, lasers, and other optoelectronic devices.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using degenerate semiconductors?

One potential disadvantage of degenerate semiconductors is that they can be more difficult and expensive to produce compared to non-degenerate semiconductors. Additionally, their high concentration of charge carriers can make them more prone to defects and instability.