Geometric Product: Definition and Calculation

In summary, the geometric product is defined as: (ab) = a\cdot b + a\wedge b, or (ba) = a\cdot b - a\wedge b. The term 2(a\cdot b)^{2} appears and must vanish for the geometric product to be valid.
JonnyMaddox
Hey JO,
I'm reading a book on geometric algebra and in the beginning (there was light, jk) a simple calculation is shown:
Geometric product is defined as:
[itex]ab = a \cdot b + a \wedge b[/itex]
or
[itex]ba = a \cdot b - a\wedge b[/itex]

Now
[itex](a\wedge b)(a \wedge b)=(ab-a \cdot b)(a\cdot b - ba)[/itex]
[itex]=-ab^{2}a-(a \cdot b)^{2}+a \cdot b(ab+ba)[/itex]
[itex]=(a \cdot b)^{2}-a^{2}b^{2}[/itex]
[itex]=-a^{2}b^{2}sin^{2}(\phi)[/itex]

I think this term [itex]a \cdot b(ab+ba)[/itex] has to vanish somehow, but it is [itex]
(a\cdot b)^{2}[/itex] and that doesn't make sense :( Any suggestions?

Ok I know the answer, the term is [itex]2(a\cdot b)^{2}[/itex]. But thank you for your attention !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So how did you get from the next to last step to your solution?

[itex]\newcommand{\a}{\boldsymbol a}\newcommand{\b}{\boldsymbol b}[/itex]
jedishrfu said:
So how did you get from the next to last step to your solution?

From the original post I'm going to assume the question is answered, so here are the steps to the final solution for anyone interested (noting that I've only done a bit of work with geometric algebra after seeing a talk by David Hestenes...):

The quantity [itex]\a\b + \b\a[/itex] reduces to [itex]2\a\cdot\b[/itex] as stated, so the last term becomes [itex](\a\cdot\b)(2\a\cdot\b)[/itex] or [itex]2(\a\cdot\b)^2[/itex]. The whole RHS then reduces to [itex](\a\cdot\b)^2 - \a^2\b^2[/itex].

The contraction property states that [itex]\a\a = \a^2 = |\a|^2[/itex], so this becomes [itex]|\a\cdot\b|^2 - a^2b^2[/itex]. The dot operator is just the inner product, so [itex]|\a\cdot\b| = ab\cos\phi[/itex]. Using the Pythagorean identity (there may be a more geometric algebra way to do this, but it's late and I am tired), the whole thing then reduces to [itex]-a^2b^2\sin^2\phi[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the explanation, I was thinking the math was more involved with some condition we weren't told about.

No problem, it gave me a reason to dig out my copy of New Foundations for Classical Mechanics and play with that. :D

Hi, again I have a problem with the geometric product:

In the book the unit trivector is defined like this: [itex](e_{1}e_{2})e_{3}=e_{1}e_{2}e_{3}[/itex]
But that would mean [itex](e_{1}e_{2})e_{3}= (e_{1} \wedge e_{2})\cdot e_{3}+(e_{1} \wedge e_{2} \wedge e_{3})[/itex] But I thougt it is just [itex]e_{1} \wedge e_{2} \wedge e_{3}[/itex]? I could somehow imagine in my head that the plane spanned by [itex]e_{1} \wedge e_{2}[/itex] is perpendicular to the line [itex]e_{3}[/itex] but I'm not sure that it works like that. Is that right? Would make sense.
Ok but why is this true [itex](e_{1}\wedge e_{2})e_{1}=(-e_{2}e_{1})e_{1}=-e_{2}e_{1}e_{1}=-e_{2}[/itex] because [itex](e_{1}\wedge e_{2})e_{1}=(e_{1} \wedge e_{2})\cdot e_{1}+ e_{1}\wedge e_{2} \wedge e_{1}[/itex] where the last term is zero. I don't know how the term [itex]e_{1} \wedge e_{2}[/itex] interacts as dot product with [itex]e_{1}[/itex]. Similar is [itex](e_{1}\wedge e_{2})(e_{2}\wedge e_{3})=e_{1}e_{3}[/itex] why isn't this just zero? Because [itex](e_{1}\wedge e_{2})(e_{2} \wedge e_{3})=(e_{1}\wedge e_{2}) \cdot (e_{2} \wedge e_{3})+e_{1}\wedge e_{2} \wedge e_{2} \wedge e_{3}[/itex] any help?
Greets

Last edited:

Related to Geometric Product: Definition and Calculation

1. What is a geometric product?

A geometric product is a mathematical operation that combines two or more geometric objects, such as points, vectors, or tensors, to create a new geometric object.

2. What is the difference between a geometric product and a scalar product?

A geometric product involves the multiplication of two or more geometric objects, while a scalar product involves the multiplication of a scalar (a number) and a geometric object. Additionally, the result of a geometric product is a new geometric object, while the result of a scalar product is a scalar value.

3. How is a geometric product calculated?

To calculate a geometric product, you must first determine the type of objects being multiplied, such as vectors or tensors. Then, you can use the appropriate rules and formulas for that type of object to perform the multiplication. The result will be a new geometric object.

4. What are some real-world applications of geometric products?

Geometric products have many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, they can be used to calculate forces and torques in mechanical systems, or to rotate and transform objects in 3D computer graphics.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using geometric products?

Yes, there are certain rules and properties that must be followed when performing geometric products, depending on the type of objects being multiplied. For example, the order of multiplication matters, and some objects may not be compatible for multiplication. Additionally, geometric products may only be defined in certain mathematical spaces, such as Euclidean space.