Geometric Optics- Two Questions

In summary, to determine the magnification of a 5cm object placed 20 cm in front of a lens with a power of -2.5 d, use the thin-lens equation to find the image distance and then use the magnification equation. Similarly, to find the measure of lateral displacement when light strikes a rectangular piece of crown glass at an angle of incidence of 30 degrees, draw a ray diagram and use trigonometry to find the angle of refraction.
_Pistolkisses
1.Determine the magnification of a 5cm object that has been placed 20 cm in front of a lens with a power of -2.5 d?

2. Light strikes a rectangular piece of crown glass with an angle of incidence of 30 degrees. If the block of glass is 10cm, determine the measure of lateral displacement.

Can anyone give me the steps to solving these? I'm kind of having a hard time.:cry:

It would really be appreciated.:shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. use the thin-lens equation to find the image distance, then use the magnification equation to determine the magnification. The "5 cm" is extraneous information.

2. Draw the ray as it refracts through the glass. Find the angle of refraction. Do a little trig.

p=-2.5d
f=-1/2.5=-0.4
i/f=i/v-i/u
-2.5=1/v-(-1/(20/100))
-2.5=1/v+5
1/v=-7.5
m=v/u
(1/-7.5)/(-20/100)
(1/-7.5)*-5
2/3
thus, it is a concave lens

Related to Geometric Optics- Two Questions

1. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing back of light rays from a smooth, shiny surface, while refraction is the bending of light rays as they pass through a medium with a different density.

2. How do lenses work?

Lenses work by refracting light rays as they pass through the curved surface, either converging them to a focal point (convex lens) or spreading them out (concave lens).