Geometric optics - thickness of acrylic ?

In summary, the ray is deflected by 2.37cm by a piece of acrylic. The thickness of the acrylic is 6.07587cm if the incident angle is 50.5 degrees.
carnivalcougar

Homework Statement

A ray is deflected by 2.37cm by a piece of acrylic. Find the thickness t of the acrylic if the incident angle is 50.5 degrees.
http://imgur.com/kx2VT5c

Homework Equations

n1sinΘ1 = n2sinΘ2

The Attempt at a Solution

n of acrylic is 1.5. Therefore, the refracted angle is 30.958 degrees. ( 1(sin(50.5)) = 1.5(sin(θ)) )

I'm not sure if I can make a triangle within the acrylic that is above the ray line where one angle is 50.042, one is 90, and the other is 30.958 and use 2.37cm as on side of the triangle.

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,143
Physics news on Phys.org
carnivalcougar said:

Homework Statement

A ray is deflected by 2.37cm by a piece of acrylic. Find the thickness t of the acrylic if the incident angle is 50.5 degrees.
http://imgur.com/kx2VT5c

Homework Equations

n1sinΘ1 = n2sinΘ2

The Attempt at a Solution

n of acrylic is 1.5. Therefore, the refracted angle is 30.958 degrees. ( 1(sin(50.5)) = 1.5(sin(θ)) )

I'm not sure if I can make a triangle within the acrylic that is above the ray line where one angle is 50.042, one is 90, and the other is 30.958 and use 2.37cm as on side of the triangle.
Break this up into two triangles.

What is the distance that the ray travels through the acrylic ?

The distance that the ray travels through the acrylic is the hypotenuse of a triangle I can make using 2.37cm as one side. However, I do not know how to find the angles of this triangle

carnivalcougar said:
The distance that the ray travels through the acrylic is the hypotenuse of a triangle I can make using 2.37cm as one side. However, I do not know how to find the angles of this triangle
What angle does that hypotenuse make with the normal?

What angle does the exit ray make with the normal?

The exit ray makes an angle of 50.5 with the normal while the refracted ray makes an angle of 30.958 with the normal.

I drew which triangle I am talking about on the diagram.

Attachments

• Question3.jpg
    Question3.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 877
carnivalcougar said:
The exit ray makes an angle of 50.5 with the normal while the refracted ray makes an angle of 30.958 with the normal.

I drew which triangle I am talking about on the diagram.
What is the complimentary angle to the 50.5° angle you have drawn ?

That would be 39.5 degrees

carnivalcougar said:
That would be 39.5 degrees
Rotate that angle 90° counter-clockwise.

Where does it now line up ?

I think it would be south of the X axis. Which would give me the angle I need to find the third angle of the triangle?

Attachments

• Question3-2.jpg
    Question3-2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 933
carnivalcougar said:
I think it would be south of the X axis. Which would give me the angle I need to find the third angle of the triangle?
Yes.

Would I then use the law of sines to find the hypotenuse of this triangle?

Thanks!

carnivalcougar said:
Would I then use the law of sines to find the hypotenuse of this triangle?

Thanks!
You have to add the 39.5° angle to the angle of refraction.

Then use the definition of the cosine to find the hypotenuse. Right?

Oh yeah that would have been easier. Either way I got 7.0852 for the hypotenuse. Then I used the law of sines on the triangle that has the same hypotenuse but the opposite side is the normal line, and therefore, the thickness of the acrylic to find what the thickness of the acrylic is. This came out to be 6.07587cm.

carnivalcougar said:
Oh yeah that would have been easier. Either way I got 7.0852 for the hypotenuse. Then I used the law of sines on the triangle that has the same hypotenuse but the opposite side is the normal line, and therefore, the thickness of the acrylic to find what the thickness of the acrylic is. This came out to be 6.07587cm.

Good !

Likes 1 person

Related to Geometric optics - thickness of acrylic ?

1. What is the thickness of acrylic used in geometric optics?

The thickness of acrylic used in geometric optics can vary depending on the specific application, but it is typically in the range of 1-3 millimeters.

2. How does the thickness of acrylic affect the performance of a lens?

The thickness of acrylic can affect the performance of a lens in several ways. A thicker lens can provide more bending of light, leading to a stronger magnification effect. However, it can also introduce more distortions and aberrations in the image. Additionally, the thickness can impact the weight and overall size of the lens.

3. Is there an ideal thickness for acrylic lenses in geometric optics?

There is no one ideal thickness for acrylic lenses in geometric optics, as it depends on the specific needs and goals of the application. In general, thinner lenses are more lightweight and easier to handle, while thicker lenses can offer stronger magnification but may have more image distortions.

4. Can the thickness of acrylic be adjusted to change the properties of a lens?

Yes, the thickness of acrylic can be adjusted to change the properties of a lens. For example, a thicker lens can be used to increase magnification, while a thinner lens can be used to reduce weight and distortions. However, changing the thickness can also impact other aspects of the lens, so it is important to carefully consider the trade-offs.

5. Are there any alternatives to using acrylic for lens thickness in geometric optics?

Yes, there are alternatives to using acrylic for lens thickness in geometric optics. Other materials, such as glass or polycarbonate, can also be used. Each material has its own unique properties and may be better suited for specific applications. It is important to carefully consider the requirements and goals of the application when selecting a material for lens thickness.