Geometric interpretations of double/triple integrals

In summary, the conversation was focused on the concept of double and triple integrals. The function in the integral represents the density or concentration of a material and the integral of this function over a region returns the total mass or amount of the material within the region. The function also describes what is happening inside the region defined by the limits. In a double integral, the function can be thought of as a height and the integral over the region returns a volume.
taylor__hasty
I am currently taking calculus 3 and I am a little confused about the concept of double and triple integrals. Analytically, it's a breeze. I understand how to set limits, do all calculations, etc.

What my question is, when I get an answer, what does the answer "mean"? For example, in this problem:
eq0030M.gif
empty.gif
where E is the solid bounded by
eq0031M.gif
empty.gif
and the plane
eq0032M.gif

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'll try to explain the way I understand. [/FONT]
eq0031M.gif
empty.gif
and y = 8 is the shape of the region that I'm integrating over. Let's say dV= dxdydz. Even if we removed the function under the integral, the shape of the region would remain the same. So what does the function represent geometrically? If we drop the function from the integral, we are left with the volume of the region described in the limits, correct? So what does the function tell us? And after integration, what does the result tell us?

Im really looking for a real world application of this stuff so I understand what exactly I am doing. Maybe in physics? When I asked my teacher, "what does the answer tell us/mean?" she responded "its the answer to the integral." Didn't really help.

Any help would be great. I am happy to be corrected! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One way to think of it is that the function is a density function. Then if you integrate the density over the volume, you will get a total mass contained within the volume.

That particular integral does not have an obvious physical interpretation because there are no explanations for what the meaning of the various quantities are.

But sneak up on it like this. If instead of the square root in your integral you just had 1. That is obviously the volume. Suppose instead of 1 you had some constant K. Then you have K times the volume. That sounds a lot like the mass of an object of density K. Or possibly the total charge with charge density K. Or the total amount of a chemical with constant concentration K.

Now think about the square root. That looks a lot like a material with density a function of x and z given by the indicated square root. So this would be the mass of an object with this density as a function of x and z. Or the total amount of chemical if the concentration was given by that. It's kind of a strange function for a density. But suppose you had some kind of diffusion process that diffused in from large x and z values, but was uniform in y. Then it might produce a concentration like that. So this might be the total chemical if you then cut out the object described from a background material.

So the function is describing what is going on inside the shape that the limits define?

In a double integral, doesn't the function describe what is going on at the top of the region?

In a double integral, you are integrating over an area. Since people can visualize 3D, the function is often represented as a height and the double integral of a height function over the area of the region would return a volume.
Note that:
##\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\int_{y_1}^{y_2}\int_0^{f(x,y)} dz dy dx = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}\int_{y_1}^{y_2}f(x,y) dy dx##

Related to Geometric interpretations of double/triple integrals

1. What is the purpose of using double and triple integrals in geometric interpretations?

Double and triple integrals are used to calculate the volume and surface area of complex shapes in three-dimensional space. They provide a way to break down a three-dimensional problem into smaller, two-dimensional problems that can be solved using traditional integration techniques.

2. Can double and triple integrals be used to find the center of mass of a three-dimensional object?

Yes, double and triple integrals can be used to find the center of mass of a three-dimensional object. By considering the density of the object at each point, the integrals can be used to calculate the weighted average of the x, y, and z coordinates, giving the center of mass.

3. How do you set up a double integral for a region bounded by curves?

To set up a double integral for a region bounded by curves, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both the x and y variables. This can be done by graphing the region and finding the points of intersection between the curves. Then, you can choose either the vertical or horizontal method of integration and set up the integral accordingly.

4. What is the difference between a double integral and a triple integral?

The main difference between a double integral and a triple integral is the number of variables they are integrating over. A double integral integrates over two variables (usually x and y), while a triple integral integrates over three variables (usually x, y, and z). This allows for the calculation of volume and surface area in three-dimensional space.

5. Can double and triple integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, double and triple integrals are frequently used in real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the flow rate of a fluid, or the expected value of a function over a given region, among many other applications.