Calculating Heat Energy and Speed: Physics Final Review

• Thread starter physicszman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary: I got 1.76x10^6J/hour.In summary, the conversation discusses various physics problems, including calculating heat energy required to convert ice to steam, finding the speed of an automobile with a specific kinetic energy, and calculating energy transfer through insulation. The conversation also includes some corrections and clarifications to the solutions provided.
physicszman
If you guys can check the math on these last 3 questions I would be very greatful. Sorry to throw this many questions at you but I've been doing physics 3 days straight now reviewing for my final tomorrow. Any help would be awsome. :approve:

1. How much heat energy is required to convert a 1.0kg block of ice at 0C to steam at 100C. The specific heat of water is 4.19x10^3 J/Kg. The heat of vaporization of water is 2256 x 10^3 K/kg-C. The heat of fusion of water is 333x10^3 J/kg.

Q = mc deltaT
(mF) + (mc) x (100) + (mV)
(1.0kg)(333x10^3 J/kg) + (1.0kg)(4.19x10^3 J/kg-C)(100C) + (1.0kg)(2256x10^3 J/kg)
= 9.45x10^11J
=9.45x10^11J / 4.2
=2.25^11 cal?

2. FInd the speed at which the kinteic energy of a 1000kg automobile would equal the thermal energy required to heat a 1.0kg block of ice at 0C to 100C.

mc deltaT= 1/2kv^2
(1.0kg)(4.19x10^3 J/kg-C)(100)=(500kg)v^2
=sqrt((1.0kg)(4.19x10^3 J/kg-C)(100)/(500kg))=v
= 28.94 (sorry i don't know what unit)

3. The 200 ft^2 ceiling of a room is insulated from the attick by a 6.0 inch layer of glass wool for which k = 0.04 W/m-C. If the attick temperature is 50C, adn the room temperature is maintained at 20C, how much energy per hour is transported through the insulation by conduction? Assume the drop in temperature is maintained across the glass wool.

3) heat generated=k*(Area/thickness)*(delta T)
= (.04 W/m-C)(60.96m^2/.15m)(30C)
=487.68J x 3600
=1.75x10^6J/hour

Physics news on Phys.org
#1, your method is correct, but you made an error doing the math, as I got 3008000J.

#2, if you start with a kg of ice, I think it first needs to turn to water, then raise 100 degrees. Also, your final units for the velocity will be m/s.

1. Your calculation for the heat energy required is correct. However, when converting to calories, it should be 2.25x10^11 cal instead of 2.25^11 cal. Also, it is more accurate to use the specific heat of water at constant pressure (4.18 J/g-C) instead of at constant volume (4.19 J/g-C). So the final answer should be 2.26x10^11 cal.

2. Your calculation for the speed is correct. The unit for speed would be m/s.

3. Your calculation for the heat transfer is correct. However, the unit for heat transfer is watts (W) or joules per second (J/s), not joules per hour (J/h). So the final answer should be 1.75x10^6 J/s or 1.75 MW.

1. How do I check my math and units?

To check your math and units, you should first make sure all your calculations are correct. Then, double check your units to ensure they are consistent throughout your work. You can also use online calculators or ask a trusted colleague or mentor to review your work.

2. Why is it important to check my math and units?

Checking your math and units is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of your work. Even small errors in calculations or incorrect units can lead to significant mistakes and impact the overall results of your research or experiment.

3. What are common mistakes to look out for when checking math and units?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking math and units include incorrect conversions, missing or extra decimal points, and using the wrong units for a specific measurement. It is also important to check for any mathematical errors, such as incorrect formulas or missing steps in calculations.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement for my calculations?

No, it is important to use the correct units of measurement for each calculation. Using the wrong units can lead to incorrect results and make it difficult for others to replicate your work. Make sure to always use the appropriate units for the specific measurement you are working with.

5. What should I do if I find an error in my math or units?

If you find an error in your math or units, you should correct it immediately. If the error has already been published or shared, make sure to inform others and provide the corrected version. It is also important to determine why the error occurred and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.