Geometric interpretation of a given Alexandrov compactification

But some teachers may require a more formal, explicit formula. It's always best to clarify with your teacher before the exam.
prce
What is the Alexandrov compactification of the following set and give the geometric interpretation of it:

[(x,y): x^2-y^2>=1, x>0] that is, the right part of the hyperbola along with the point in it.

This is a question from my todays exam in topology. I wrote that the given set is homeomorphic to the set [0,1)x[0,1) the alexandrov compactification of which is [0,1]x[0,1].

However I'm not sure at all. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you are right that the given set is homeomorphic to the set [0,1)x[0,1) and you are also right that the alexandrov compactification of it is [0,1]x[0,1].

But maybe you got the right answer for the wrong reason. For instance, what would you say is the Alexandroff compactification of the open square (0,1)x(0,1)?

It is not [0,1]x[0,1]; it is the 2-sphere S². The Alexandroff compactification is also called the one-point compactification because what it does typically is that it takes all the points "at infinity" and glue/collapse/identify them to a single point, which we usually write [itex]\infty[/itex]. This is the guiding picture to keep in mind while guessing what the Alexandroff compactification of a given space is. Once you've guessed what geometrical shape corresponds to the Alexandroff compactification, you need to produce an explicit homeomorphism between them in order to verify that your intuition was good.

For instance in the case of the compactification of (0,1)x(0,1), the homeomorphism f: S² --> (0,1)x(0,1) u {[itex]\infty[/itex]} is define by part by f=(stereographic projection on S²\{south pole}) and f(south pole)=[itex]\infty[/itex].

In your case, the "points at infinity" correspond to the points on the top side and right side of your "semi-open square" [0,1)x[0,1). Collapsing them onto a point gives something homeomorphic to [0,1]x[0,1].

Last edited:
I kind of guessed and didnt put any reasons in the response. thinking now i should have procesed this way:
1. the given set i homeomorphic to the right semiplane. the compactification of alexandrov of which is clearly (by the stereographic projection) the semi-sphere (including the maximum circle).
2. The semi-sphere is homeomorphic to a closed disc which is homeomorphyc to [0,1]x[0,1].

But the question was: give the geometrical definition of the compactification. Whats "more right", semi-sphere, closed disc or [0,1]x[0,1]?

one other question asked for the intern of the set A in the subspace X (X subspace of E^2). A being the unit circle. B being [(x,y): x^2-y^2>=1, x>0] and C [(x,y): x^2-y^2>1, x<0]. X=AUBUC.
I put some crazy arguments and wrote that the intern of A is A itself.
But it is A\(1,0),(-1,0) is it?

On an exam, when proving homeomorphism is it necessary to give explicit formula of it or it is acceptable to only give a wordily, however logicaly consistent, description of the 1-1 mapping?

prce said:
I kind of guessed and didnt put any reasons in the response. thinking now i should have procesed this way:
1. the given set i homeomorphic to the right semiplane. the compactification of alexandrov of which is clearly (by the stereographic projection) the semi-sphere (including the maximum circle).
2. The semi-sphere is homeomorphic to a closed disc which is homeomorphyc to [0,1]x[0,1].

But the question was: give the geometrical definition of the compactification. Whats "more right", semi-sphere, closed disc or [0,1]x[0,1]?
I don't think one is more right that any other. I do like the closed disk best personally.

prce said:
one other question asked for the intern of the set A in the subspace X (X subspace of E^2). A being the unit circle. B being [(x,y): x^2-y^2>=1, x>0] and C [(x,y): x^2-y^2>1, x<0]. X=AUBUC.
I put some crazy arguments and wrote that the intern of A is A itself.
But it is A\(1,0),(-1,0) is it?
I'm afraid so!

prce said:
On an exam, when proving homeomorphism is it necessary to give explicit formula of it or it is acceptable to only give a wordily, however logicaly consistent, description of the 1-1 mapping?
It depends on your teacher. In the case of the compactification question, I would have given a picture to explain the map, and also to show why it is a homeomorphism.

Yes, your answer is correct. The Alexandrov compactification of the given set is [0,1]x[0,1], which can be visualized as a square with its top and right edges identified. This compactification adds a single point at infinity, representing the "missing" points that complete the hyperbola.

Geometrically, this compactification can be interpreted as folding the hyperbola along the x-axis and "gluing" the two ends together to form a square. This allows us to visualize the entire hyperbola, including the point at infinity, in a compact and connected space.

Related to Geometric interpretation of a given Alexandrov compactification

1. What is an Alexandrov compactification?

An Alexandrov compactification is a mathematical concept that extends a given topological space to a compact space by adding a set of boundary points. This compactification is achieved by preserving the original topology of the space and introducing new points to create a compact and complete space.

2. How is the geometric interpretation of an Alexandrov compactification different from its topological interpretation?

The topological interpretation of an Alexandrov compactification focuses on the preservation of the original topology of the space, while the geometric interpretation also considers the geometric properties of the compactification, such as its curvature and distance properties. This allows for a more complete understanding of the compactification and its implications.

3. What is the significance of using an Alexandrov compactification in mathematical research?

Alexandrov compactifications have various applications in different areas of mathematics, including topology, geometry, and analysis. They provide a way to study and understand compact spaces in a more manageable form, and their properties can be used to prove theorems and solve problems in these areas.

4. Can any topological space be compactified using the Alexandrov method?

No, not all topological spaces can be compactified using the Alexandrov method. The space must have certain properties, such as being locally compact and Hausdorff, in order for the compactification to be possible. Additionally, the space must also have a suitable base space for the compactification to be constructed.

5. How does the choice of the base space affect the geometric interpretation of an Alexandrov compactification?

The base space chosen for the Alexandrov compactification can greatly affect its geometric interpretation. Different base spaces can result in different curvatures and distance properties for the compactification, which can have significant implications for the study of the space. Therefore, the choice of the base space should be carefully considered depending on the desired geometric interpretation.