Geometric distribution problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three players who toss a coin in turns until one of them gets a head and becomes the winner. The question is to find the probability of Tom winning. The formula discussed is p(q)^n-1, where p represents the probability of success (0.5), q represents the probability of failure (0.5), and n represents the number of tosses. The conversation ends with the suggestion to add up all the n's that make Tom the winner.
danniim
Can anyone solve this for me? I think it is geometric distribution.

Tom, Dick and Harry play .the following game. They toss a fair coin in
turns. First Tom tosses, then Harry, then Dick, then Tom again and so on
until one of them gets a Head and so becomes the winner. What is the
probability that Tom wins?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi danniim! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi tiny-tim,

Okay well my main problem is that I don't know what formula to use.

I thought you would use p(q)^x-1 where p is the probability of success(0.5) and q is the probability of failing (0.5), x is supposed to be the number of trials ie the number of times the coin is tossed but this is not given. This leaves me with the following:

0.5(0.5)^x-1 = ?... two unknowns.

So clearly I am not understanding something in the question.

danniim said:
I thought you would use p(q)^x-1 where p is the probability of success(0.5) and q is the probability of failing (0.5), x is supposed to be the number of trials ie the number of times the coin is tossed …

Hi danniim! :smile:

(use n, not x, for numbers, and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, you use pqn-1 for the probability of the game finishing on the nth toss.

Now add up for all the n's that make Tom the winner. :wink:

Thanks! :)

Related to Geometric distribution problem

What is the Geometric Distribution Problem?

The Geometric Distribution Problem is a statistical problem that involves determining the probability of obtaining a specific number of successes in a series of independent trials, where each trial has only two possible outcomes (success or failure).

What is the formula for calculating the Geometric Distribution?

The formula for calculating the Geometric Distribution is P(X=k) = q^(k-1) * p, where P(X=k) is the probability of getting k successes, q is the probability of failure, and p is the probability of success.

What is the difference between the Geometric Distribution and the Binomial Distribution?

The Geometric Distribution is used when the number of trials is fixed and the goal is to determine the probability of obtaining a specific number of successes. The Binomial Distribution is used when the number of trials and the number of successes are both fixed, and the goal is to determine the probability of obtaining a specific number of successes in a certain number of trials.

What are some real-life applications of the Geometric Distribution?

The Geometric Distribution is commonly used in quality control and reliability engineering to analyze the probability of a product meeting certain specifications after a certain number of trials. It is also used in sports analytics to analyze the probability of a team winning a certain number of games in a row.

What are the limitations of using the Geometric Distribution?

The Geometric Distribution assumes that each trial is independent and has only two possible outcomes. In real-life situations, this may not always be the case, which can limit the accuracy of using this distribution. Additionally, if the probability of success is very low, it may take a large number of trials to obtain a desired number of successes, making it impractical to use in some scenarios.