Geodesic Distance & Maximally Symmetric Spacetimes: Why Does it Matter?

In summary, on a maximally symmetric spacetime, any physical quantity depends only on the geodesic distance between the points.
highflyyer
Any physical quantity ##K(t,x,x')## on a maximally symmetric spacetime only depends on the geodesic distance between the points ##x## and ##x'##.

Why is this so?

N.B.:

This statement is different from the statement that

The geodesic distance on any spacetime is invariant under an arbitrary coordinate transformation of that spacetime.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
highflyyer said:
Why is this so?

Why do you think it is so? Have you found a proof of it?

I haven't found a proof of it. I read this in a paper.

This is my understanding of the problem.

The Euclidean plane is a maximally symmetric space with ##3## translation symmetries and ##3## rotation symmetries. Any physical quantity ##K(x,y)## on the Euclidean plane, where ##x## and ##y## are two arbitrary spacetime points, is constrained by the symmetries of the spacetime to depend only on ##(x-y)^{2}##. This is because ##(x-y)## is translation invariant and ##(x-y)^{2}## is rotation invariant. Therefore, the physical quantity ##K(x,y)## depends on the Galilean-invariant geodesic distance ##(x-y)^{2}##.

But I am not sure how the dependence changes if we have a Euclidean disk (that is, a plane with a boundary).

My intuition is that the ##K(x,y)## now depends not only on the spacetime points ##x## and ##y##, but also on the 'border.' The dependence is such that ##K(x,y)## for the Euclidean disk tends to ##(x-y)^2## as the 'border' tends to infinity.

But I am not able to carry my intuition any further and write down an explicit form for the dependence of ##K(x,y)## for the Euclidean disk.

It would be really helpful if you share some thoughts here.

highflyyer said:
I read this in a paper

What paper? Please give a reference.

highflyyer said:
I am not sure how the dependence changes if we have a Euclidean disk (that is, a plane with a boundary).

A plane with a boundary is not maximally symmetric.

highflyyer said:
See the final paragraph on page 7 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/0804.1773.pdf.

Ok, this mentions the proposition but doesn't give a proof. Possibly one of the references in that paper does.

Your reasoning in post #3 seems OK to me.

Related to Geodesic Distance & Maximally Symmetric Spacetimes: Why Does it Matter?

1. What is geodesic distance and why does it matter?

Geodesic distance is the shortest path between two points on a curved surface or space. It matters in the study of spacetime because it is a fundamental concept in understanding the curvature of space and the motion of objects within it.

2. How is geodesic distance related to maximally symmetric spacetimes?

Maximally symmetric spacetimes are characterized by a constant curvature, and geodesic distance is a measure of this curvature. In fact, geodesic distance is used to define and calculate the curvature of maximally symmetric spacetimes.

3. What are some examples of maximally symmetric spacetimes?

Some common examples of maximally symmetric spacetimes include the three-dimensional sphere, the three-dimensional hyperbolic space, and the four-dimensional de Sitter space. These spacetimes have a constant positive, negative, or zero curvature, respectively.

4. How does understanding geodesic distance and maximally symmetric spacetimes help in the study of gravity?

Geodesic distance is closely related to the concept of gravitational force, as objects in free fall follow geodesic paths in spacetime. Maximally symmetric spacetimes provide a simplified model for understanding the curvature of space in the presence of gravity.

5. Can geodesic distance be measured or observed in real life?

Yes, geodesic distance can be measured and observed in real life. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, is a result of the geodesic paths that light takes in the curved spacetime around those objects. Additionally, the precise measurements of spacecraft trajectories also rely on the concept of geodesic distance.