Is the Geodesic Deviation Equation Valid in Normal Coordinates?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a proposed demonstration of the geodesic deviation equation using normal coordinates. The person speaking has found a discrepancy with their teacher's procedure and is seeking help in identifying the problem. However, it is pointed out that normal coordinates are only valid locally and the Christoffel symbols do not vanish for all points. Additionally, the second covariant derivative of the difference between two geodesics should not simply be the second derivative with respect to the proper time, as it takes into account the curvature of the manifold. It is suggested to double-check the calculations and ensure all assumptions are correct in order to identify the issue.
Andre' Quanta
My teacher of General Relativity has proposed a demonstration of the geodesic deviation equation based on normal coordinates, the problem is that for me the procedure is wrong, could you help me to find the problem?
Suppose to have a differentiable manifold M of dimension 4, and two geodesics x and y.
Define the difference y-x = E as an element of the tangent space (the geodesics are calculated at the same proper time of the geodesic x).
Now we are in normal coordinates for x, in such a way that the Christoffel simbols in x vanish.
With all these assumptions we can calculate the second covariant derivative of E along x: for me, in normal coordinates in x, the second covariant derivative of E is simply the second derivative of E respect to the proper time, because everytime that you derive E in a covariant way the term of the connection is set to zero because of the normal coordinates, but for the teacher the result is different: he obtains also an additional term that i can t find.
Where is the problem?
Guys, forgive me for my english and for the lack of rigour, i hope someone of you will help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I would be happy to assist you in finding the problem with your teacher's proposed demonstration.

Firstly, it is important to note that normal coordinates are only valid locally and cannot be extended to cover the entire manifold. This means that the Christoffel symbols will not vanish for all points on the manifold, but only at a specific point where the coordinates are defined. Therefore, it is not correct to say that the Christoffel symbols vanish for all points in the normal coordinates of x.

Secondly, the second covariant derivative of E along x should not simply be the second derivative of E with respect to the proper time. This is because the covariant derivative takes into account the curvature of the manifold and the connection between points, which cannot be ignored even in normal coordinates. The additional term that your teacher obtains is most likely due to the non-zero Christoffel symbols in the second derivative of E.

Lastly, it is important to double-check the calculations and ensure that the definitions and assumptions used are correct. It is possible that there may be a mistake in the calculations, leading to the discrepancy between your result and your teacher's.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue and guide you in finding the problem. If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Related to Is the Geodesic Deviation Equation Valid in Normal Coordinates?

1. What is the geodesic deviation equation?

The geodesic deviation equation is a mathematical equation used in the study of differential geometry and general relativity. It describes how the separation between two nearby geodesics (the shortest paths between two points in curved space) changes over time.

2. How is the geodesic deviation equation derived?

The geodesic deviation equation is derived from the geodesic equation, which describes the path of a free-falling particle in curved space. By taking the second derivative of the geodesic equation and introducing a perturbation, the geodesic deviation equation is obtained.

3. What does the geodesic deviation equation tell us about gravity?

The geodesic deviation equation is an important tool in general relativity and helps us understand the effects of gravity on the motion of objects in curved space. It tells us that the curvature of space-time, caused by the presence of mass and energy, affects how objects move and can cause them to deviate from their expected paths.

4. How is the geodesic deviation equation used in practical applications?

The geodesic deviation equation is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the study of black holes, gravitational lensing, and the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in the universe. It is also used in the development of advanced technologies, such as accurate GPS systems and space navigation.

5. Are there any limitations to the geodesic deviation equation?

Like any mathematical equation, the geodesic deviation equation has its limitations. It is based on the assumptions of general relativity and may not accurately describe the behavior of objects in extreme conditions, such as near the event horizon of a black hole. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics, which may be necessary for a complete understanding of gravity.