Geodesic Curvature of a curve on a flat surface

In this case, we can use the definition of geodesic curvature to show that it is equal to the standard curvature. In summary, The Gauss-Bonnet theorem can be used to show that the geodesic curvature of a curve in R2 is the same as the standard curvature, given that the Gaussian curvature of a flat surface is zero.
sel
Sorry if this ends up being a naive question, but I have just a little conundrum. I'm dealing with curves in R2 and the Gauss-Bonnet theorem is a very useful result with what I'm currently doing, what with Gaussian curvature of a flat surface being zero, which is all fine

NumberedEquation1.gif

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gauss-BonnetFormula.html

To proceed with my problem, I need to show that the geodesic curvature of a curve in R2 is the same as the standard curvature of it. I can sort of understand how it is the case from its definition but can't show it, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all the help guys x

Attachments

• NumberedEquation1.gif
    NumberedEquation1.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
The main idea to prove this is to use the Gauss-Bonnet theorem. Since the Gaussian curvature of a flat surface is zero, the total curvature around any closed curve on the surface must also be zero. That is, the sum of the geodesic curvature and the standard curvature must be zero. Therefore, if we know the value of one of them, we can determine the value of the other.

Related to Geodesic Curvature of a curve on a flat surface

What is geodesic curvature?

Geodesic curvature is a measure of how much a curve on a flat surface deviates from a straight line. It takes into account both the curvature of the surface and the curvature of the curve itself.

How is geodesic curvature calculated?

The geodesic curvature of a curve on a flat surface can be calculated using the formula k_g = k_n - k_s, where k_g is the geodesic curvature, k_n is the normal curvature of the curve, and k_s is the surface curvature at the point where the curve intersects the surface.

What is the relationship between geodesic curvature and normal curvature?

The geodesic curvature and normal curvature are related by the formula k_g = k_n - k_s. Normal curvature measures how much a curve deviates from the normal direction of the surface, while geodesic curvature takes into account the curvature of the surface itself.

Why is geodesic curvature important in geometry?

Geodesic curvature is important in geometry because it allows us to measure the deviation of a curve on a flat surface from a straight line. This is useful in many applications, such as designing optimal paths for vehicles or understanding the shape of natural curves in nature.

How does geodesic curvature differ from regular curvature?

Geodesic curvature differs from regular curvature in that it takes into account the curvature of the surface itself, while regular curvature only measures the curvature of the curve. Geodesic curvature is also a vector quantity, while regular curvature is a scalar.