Genetics: Dominant and Recessive Traits

• Thread starter genevievelily
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, dominant alleles do not silence the expression of recessive alleles, and incomplete dominance can result in both alleles being expressed.
genevievelily
I feel like I should know the answer to this, but I don't. Here is my question:

I understand that an individual has two copies of each gene, one maternal and one paternal. But if one is completely dominant over the other, will both gene copies be transcribed and translated, or only the one that is dominant?

And same for incomplete dominance, will both genes will be transcribed and translated, resulting in an intermediate phenotype?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
In general, dominant alleles do not silence the expression of recessive alleles. How exactly an allele functions as dominant or recessive depends on the exact biochemical function of the genes involved. Many dominant alleles code for a protein that causes a specific function and recessive alleles are loss-of-function mutatants. As long as you have one copy of the correctly functioning allele, the gene is still able to perform its function correctly, so the defect shows up only when both alleles of the gene are not functioning correctly.

Recessive alleles sometimes contain mutations that prevent expression of the protein. In these cases, the gene will be expressed from the dominant allele but not the recessive allele. This is not always the case, however. For example, in those heterozygous for cystic fibrosis, the CFTR protein is expressed from both the dominant non-disease allele and the recessive disease allele, but the protein produced from the disease allele does not fold properly and gets degraded. Even though ~ half of the CFTR protein gets degraded, the CFTR produced from the non-disease allele is sufficient to ensure correct function, so those heterozygous for the cystic fibrosis allele do not develop the condition.

Incomplete dominance can be tricky. The classic example is the color of snapdragon flowers with RR giving red flowers, Rr giving pink flowers, and rr giving white flowers. Here, I suspect the R allele encodes for the protein that produces the red pigment and the r allele contains a mutation that prevents correct expression of the red pigment-producing protein. In this case, only the R allele is correctly expressed. However, there are probably cases of incomplete dominance where both alleles are expressed.

Here's probably a good resources to read for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haploinsufficiency

jedishrfu's post refers to a more advanced topic in genetics called imprinting, which occurs ins a some specialized cases.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu

Related to Genetics: Dominant and Recessive Traits

1. What is the difference between dominant and recessive traits?

Dominant traits are characteristics that are expressed when an individual has at least one copy of the dominant gene. Recessive traits are only expressed when an individual has two copies of the recessive gene.

2. How are dominant and recessive traits inherited?

Dominant traits are inherited from just one parent, as an individual only needs one copy of the dominant gene to express the trait. Recessive traits are only inherited if both parents carry and pass on the recessive gene.

3. Can two parents with dominant traits have a child with a recessive trait?

Yes, this is possible if both parents are heterozygous for the recessive gene. This means that they carry one copy of the recessive gene, but do not express the trait themselves. If both parents pass on their recessive gene to their child, the child may express the recessive trait.

4. Are dominant traits always more common than recessive traits?

No, the frequency of dominant and recessive traits depends on the specific gene and population being studied. In some cases, dominant traits may be more common, while in others, recessive traits may be more common.

5. Can a recessive trait become dominant?

No, a recessive trait cannot become dominant. Dominant and recessive traits are determined by the specific genes involved and cannot change. However, in some cases, a dominant trait may appear to become recessive if it is masked by another dominant trait.