Genetically Modify E. Coli w/ Jellyfish Genes - Coolest Lab Yet!

In summary: Very good. Do you understand why the cells became resistant to ampicillin when you successfully inserted a gene into them?Yeah. Basically the cells became resistant to ampicillin because the gene we were putting into them was making them produce glowing proteins. Yeah. Basically the cells became resistant to ampicillin because the gene we were putting into them was making them produce glowing proteins.
binzing
We genetically modified E. Coli with jellyfish genes for flourescence. It was probably the coolest lab we've done yet. No freakin' titrations or counting and sexing any damn fruit flies.

Biology news on Phys.org
That sounds awesome! We never did anything cool like that in high school.

So, did it work? And can you make your intestine glow :wink: ?

lisab said:
And can you make your intestine glow :wink: ?

I wouldn't recommend putting the E. coli back where they came from. :rolleyes:

That is a fun experiment to do, and very cool that you got to do it while still in high school. :approve: Sounds like you're having fun with that class.

Moonbear said:
Sounds like you're having fun with that class.

FOR ONCE!

Lisa, haha. No. These E. Coli are special ones that won't survive outside of a lab environment. We actually haven't seen if they glow yet, but we can make our predictions based on what we did. Tomorrow we get to see if they glow.

binzing said:
FOR ONCE!

Lisa, haha. No. These E. Coli are special ones that won't survive outside of a lab environment. We actually haven't seen if they glow yet, but we can make our predictions based on what we did. Tomorrow we get to see if they glow.

Great...let us know how it turns out.

lisab said:
Great...let us know how it turns out.

Sure will.

My girlfirend is using a similar thing on her year in industry. She is using the jellyfish gene to monitor gene expression of something to do with combatting cystic fibrosis. something to do with lipid based delivery. Her supervisor is investigating the use of genetically modified HIV (that sounds slighty risky to me but its a cool idea) as a delivery system for the corrected CF gene. I don't really understand it but it sounds interesting.

We got our respected outcomes, big suprise. It was fairly interesting though.

Great! As Chris points out, what you did in your biology class really is a tool used in actual research labs, not just some outdated busy-work exercise with no application beyond the classroom.

Moonbear said:
Great! As Chris points out, what you did in your biology class really is a tool used in actual research labs, not just some outdated busy-work exercise with no application beyond the classroom.

Yeah. It was kind of scary as to how simple it was, considering that's the same method terrorists could use to create bio weapons.

binzing said:
Yeah. It was kind of scary as to how simple it was, considering that's the same method terrorists could use to create bio weapons.

Rest assured, it's only easy because you were inserting a small gene that is known to work when transfected into the cells you were supplied with the kit used. Usually, you would transfect that GFP sequence attached to another gene of interest, and the reason for doing that is to find out if your gene of interest got into the cell and is being expressed by quickly looking for the GFP expression.

I've done that exact lab!

It was so cool...

I remember that lab back in high school.

It was cool but nowhere near as awesome as some of my chem labs in college.

moose said:
I remember that lab back in high school.

It was cool but nowhere near as awesome as some of my chem labs in college.

My chem labs in college would have been a lot more fun if I wasn't always assigned a bench space next to a pyromaniac.

Moonbear said:
Rest assured, it's only easy because you were inserting a small gene that is known to work when transfected into the cells you were supplied with the kit used. Usually, you would transfect that GFP sequence attached to another gene of interest, and the reason for doing that is to find out if your gene of interest got into the cell and is being expressed by quickly looking for the GFP expression.

Well mostly. Actually the to get glowing proteins the E. Coli we had had to A. have the positive gene splice for it, B. be resistant to ampicillin (sp?), and C. be in the presence or a certain chemical (ara-something).

binzing said:
Well mostly. Actually the to get glowing proteins the E. Coli we had had to A. have the positive gene splice for it, B. be resistant to ampicillin (sp?), and C. be in the presence or a certain chemical (ara-something).

Very good. Do you understand why the cells became resistant to ampicillin when you successfully inserted a gene into them?

Related to Genetically Modify E. Coli w/ Jellyfish Genes - Coolest Lab Yet!

1. What is the purpose of genetically modifying E. Coli with jellyfish genes?

The purpose of this experiment is to introduce new genetic material into E. Coli bacteria in order to make them produce a protein that glows under certain conditions. This allows scientists to easily track the bacteria in a lab setting and study their behavior and growth patterns.

2. How is the genetic modification process carried out?

The process involves extracting DNA from a jellyfish and inserting it into the DNA of the E. Coli bacteria. This is done using specialized enzymes that can cut and paste DNA segments. The modified bacteria are then grown in a controlled environment to observe their behavior.

3. Is it safe to genetically modify bacteria in a lab setting?

Yes, it is considered safe as long as proper precautions and protocols are followed. The modified bacteria are contained in a controlled environment and cannot survive outside of the lab. Additionally, extensive testing and regulations are in place to ensure the safety of both the scientists and the environment.

4. What are the potential applications of this experiment?

There are many potential applications for this type of genetic modification. It could be used to study the behavior of bacteria and their response to different environments, to develop new antibiotics or other medical treatments, or to improve the production of certain proteins for industrial or medical purposes.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding genetic modification of bacteria?

As with any type of genetic modification, there are ethical considerations that need to be taken into account. These may include potential impacts on the environment, the safety of consuming genetically modified bacteria, and the potential for unintended consequences. However, extensive testing and regulations are in place to address these concerns and ensure responsible use of genetic modification techniques.

Back