Genetic structure of West Eurasians

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the article and chart on the genetic structure of West Eurasians reveals interesting information about the ancestry of different populations. The Basques and Sardinians are particularly distinct from the rest of Europeans, while the Portuguese have the most North-African admixture and the Greeks have very little, despite historical ties to North Africa. The author also shares personal insights about their own genetic background and cultural traits.
wasteofo2
This is a fascinating article and chart for anyone interested in the ancestry of different populations.

It's fascinating to see just how distinct from the rest of Europans that Basques and Sardinians are. Also interesting to see that the Portuguese have the most North-African admixture of any Europan group and that the Greeks have next to none, even though parts North Africa used to be considered ''Greek''. Lots of interesting stuff here for inquisitive minds.

ADMIXTURE_11.png
Original article:
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2011/04/genetic-structure-of-west-eurasians.html

Biology news on Phys.org
well, my paternal lineage comes from the Basque region, but i am about 10 generations removed, so not likely to be so "pure" now. pretty sure my mitochondrial dna would be native america, e.g., and have recent paternal admixtures with the house of stewart. still, i would say i am a bit of a homebody despite an ancestor with itchy feet, so maybe that's a basque trait. very weird, they must have resisted invasions well, too.

other than that, i can't say I'm too interested in the statistics of it all, but do find some fascination in seeing traits across cultures, like say a certain east asianness in the eyes of Bjork (is iceland considered "finnic"?). i used to think maybe some of those traits were remnants of say the mongonlian empire, but scannign the comments says maybe not?

Related to Genetic structure of West Eurasians

1. What is the genetic structure of West Eurasians?

The genetic structure of West Eurasians refers to the genetic makeup and diversity of populations in the region of West Eurasia, which includes Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Central Asia. It is a complex mix of genetic contributions from various ancestral populations, including ancient hunter-gatherers, early farmers, and later migrations.

2. How is genetic structure determined in West Eurasians?

Genetic structure in West Eurasians is determined through various methods, including DNA analysis, genome sequencing, and population genetics. These techniques allow scientists to identify and compare different genetic variations and patterns among populations, providing insights into the evolutionary history and relationships between different groups.

3. What are the major genetic components of West Eurasians?

The major genetic components of West Eurasians include the Early European Farmers, who migrated from the Near East around 8,000 years ago, and the Steppe pastoralists, who arrived around 4,500 years ago. Other significant components include the hunter-gatherers of Europe, as well as genetic influences from neighboring regions such as Central Asia and the Caucasus.

4. How has the genetic structure of West Eurasians changed over time?

The genetic structure of West Eurasians has undergone significant changes over time due to multiple waves of migration and genetic admixture. For example, the arrival of the Early European Farmers and the Steppe pastoralists contributed to the genetic diversity of West Eurasians, leading to the formation of distinct populations and the mixing of different ancestral components.

5. What are the implications of studying the genetic structure of West Eurasians?

Studying the genetic structure of West Eurasians provides valuable insights into the complex history and evolution of human populations in the region. It also helps us better understand the genetic basis of various traits and diseases, as well as the relationships between different populations. This information can have implications for fields such as anthropology, medicine, and population genetics.