How Do You Solve Complex RC Circuit Problems?

In summary: But if you have multiple capacitors or resistors, or other elements in the circuit, you may need to use different methods to solve the problem.If you can transform the circuit to a single capacitor and single resistor connected, the solution is the same. But if you have multiple capacitors or resistors, or other elements in the circuit, you may need to use different methods to solve the problem.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the steady-state current in each resistor, the charge on the capacitor, and the equation for the current in R2 as a function of time after the switch is opened. It also mentions the difficulty in understanding this equation and the potential need to derive it for each specific situation. The expert suggests referring to a
horsedeg

Homework Statement

In the figure below, suppose the switch has been closed for a time interval sufficiently long for the capacitor to become fully charged. (Assume R1 = 11.0 kΩ, R2 = 22.0 kΩ, R3 = 4.00 kΩ, and C = 11.0 μF.)
28-p-075-alt.gif

(a) Find the steady-state current in each resistor.
(b) Find the charge Qmax on the capacitor.
(c) The switch is now opened at t = 0. Write an equation for the current in R2 as a function of time. (Use the following as necessary: t. Do not enter units in your answers. Assume the current is in microamperes, and t is in seconds.)
(d) Find the time interval required for the charge on the capacitor to fall to one-fifth its initial value.

Homework Equations

V=IR
Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

Found (a) and (b) pretty easily. I just have trouble with understanding part (c). I'm sure part (d) will be even easier if I can find this equation.

So when the switch opens, there is no voltage source anymore, and that entire left branch pretty much disappears, no? The capacitor starts discharging through R2 and then R3 slowly. The current will stop later and then charge will just be distributed throughout that area, I think.

I don't really know how to find the formula, though. For one I'm not sure where to start. Also, there seems to be a generic formula that let's you find current over time using I0 and the time constant RC. However, do you have to derive that formula every time for each specific situation? Because that's what it feels like, even though every answer seems to just use the same exact one.

Also, I apologize for making two threads in a row, these are just both things I have a hard time understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
horsedeg said:

Homework Statement

In the figure below, suppose the switch has been closed for a time interval sufficiently long for the capacitor to become fully charged. (Assume R1 = 11.0 kΩ, R2 = 22.0 kΩ, R3 = 4.00 kΩ, and C = 11.0 μF.)
28-p-075-alt.gif

(a) Find the steady-state current in each resistor.
(b) Find the charge Qmax on the capacitor.
(c) The switch is now opened at t = 0. Write an equation for the current in R2 as a function of time. (Use the following as necessary: t. Do not enter units in your answers. Assume the current is in microamperes, and t is in seconds.)
(d) Find the time interval required for the charge on the capacitor to fall to one-fifth its initial value.

Homework Equations

V=IR
Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

Found (a) and (b) pretty easily. I just have trouble with understanding part (c). I'm sure part (d) will be even easier if I can find this equation.

So when the switch opens, there is no voltage source anymore, and that entire left branch pretty much disappears, no? The capacitor starts discharging through R2 and then R3 slowly. The current will stop later and then charge will just be distributed throughout that area, I think.

I don't really know how to find the formula, though. For one I'm not sure where to start. Also, there seems to be a generic formula that let's you find current over time using I0 and the time constant RC. However, do you have to derive that formula every time for each specific situation? Because that's what it feels like, even though every answer seems to just use the same exact one.

Also, I apologize for making two threads in a row, these are just both things I have a hard time understanding.
You are right, when the switch opens, you have only a charged capacitor connected to two resistors in series. The resistors can be replaced with a single one, and then you have the problem "capacitor discharging through resistor", you know the solution of. You can refer to that solution, or derive it again, as you like.

ehild said:
You are right, when the switch opens, you have only a charged capacitor connected to two resistors in series. the resistors can be replaced with a simple one, and then you have the problem "capacitor discharging through resistor", you know the solution of. You can refer to that solution, or derive it again, as you like.
Is there ever a time where it's not safe to use the same solution? Highly dependent on the situation I guess?

horsedeg said:
Is there ever a time where it's not safe to use the same solution? Highly dependent on the situation I guess?
If you can transform the circuit to a single capacitor and single resistor connected, the solution is the same

Related to How Do You Solve Complex RC Circuit Problems?

1. What is a generic RC circuit?

A generic RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. This circuit is commonly used in electronic devices for filtering, timing, and signal processing.

2. What are some common applications of generic RC circuits?

Generic RC circuits are used in a variety of electronic devices, including filters, timers, oscillators, and power supplies. They are also commonly used in audio and video equipment, as well as in computer circuits.

3. What is the time constant of a generic RC circuit?

The time constant of a generic RC circuit is the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) in the circuit. It represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage or discharge to 36.8% of its initial voltage.

4. How do I calculate the time constant of a generic RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) of a generic RC circuit can be calculated using the formula τ = RC, where R is the resistance in ohms and C is the capacitance in farads. For example, if a circuit has a resistor with a value of 10 ohms and a capacitor with a value of 0.1 microfarads, the time constant would be 0.001 seconds.

5. How can I solve generic RC circuit problems?

Solving generic RC circuit problems involves using the principles of Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the equations for capacitance and time constant to determine the voltage, current, and charge in the circuit. It is important to first draw a circuit diagram and label all known values before applying these principles and equations.