Why Does Changing Wire Gauge Affect Voltage and Current in a Generator?

NY Operations Tech
TL;DR Summary
Generator wiring question
I am building a small generator. 12 - 5/8″ magnets rotating around 9 - 3/4″ diameter, 28-gauge copper enameled wire. Not under load, I am getting 50 volts at 1 amp. But when I increase the wire size to 24-gauge, I am getting 15 volts at .25 amps. I thought amps go up when volts go down.

Engineering news on Phys.org
NY Operations Tech said:
TL;DR Summary: Generator wiring question

I am building a small generator. 12 - 5/8″ magnets rotating around 9 - 3/4″ diameter, 28-gauge copper enameled wire. Not under load, I am getting 50 volts at 1 amp. But when I increase the wire size to 24-gauge, I am getting 15 volts at .25 amps. I thought amps go up when volts go down.
Not under load with 50 volts at one amp makes no sense. If it not under load then there is no current. 0 amps.

Likes davenn
Without a clear description of the two different designs, we cannot help you. A clear description includes at least one diagram that clearly shows the entire generator, including the winding design.

Likes davenn and berkeman
NY Operations Tech said:
28-gauge copper enameled wire. Not under load, I am getting 50 volts at 1 amp. But when I increase the wire size to 24-gauge, I am getting 15 volts at .25 amps. I thought amps go up when volts go down.
As has been mentioned, "no-load" means no output current.

The no-load output voltage should be independent of the gauge of the wire, to a first approximation. Can you make those two measurements?

(As you increase the size of the wire, leakage inductance will generally go up, so you may get a small decrease in the no-load output voltage.)

If all you are doing is increasing the diameter of the wire, you should see an increase in output current capability because the parasitic resistance of the windings is lower.

NY Operations Tech said:
TL;DR Summary: Generator wiring question

I thought amps go up when volts go down.
For the same amount of power, Yes.
For the same power, the product of Volts and Amps is the same.

Have you counted the number of turns with each wire size? Are they the same?
Larger wire may mean fewer turns, especially if in the same space.

Also, no-load output voltage is directly dependant not only on number of turns but also on rotational speed and magnet strength.

There could be some shorted turns in the 24ga. winding.

Cheers,
Tom

1. Why does changing the wire gauge in a generator affect the voltage and current?

Changing the wire gauge in a generator affects the voltage and current because the thickness of the wire influences its electrical resistance. Thicker wires (lower gauge numbers) have less resistance, allowing more current to flow through them, which can result in higher power output. Conversely, thinner wires (higher gauge numbers) have higher resistance, reducing the current flow and potentially affecting the voltage output as well.

2. How does wire resistance impact generator performance?

Wire resistance impacts generator performance by determining how efficiently electrical energy can be transmitted through the generator's coils. Lower resistance (thicker wires) means less energy is lost as heat, enhancing the generator's efficiency and allowing it to produce more power. Higher resistance (thinner wires) increases energy losses and can lead to overheating, reduced efficiency, and lower power output.

3. Can changing the wire gauge affect the lifespan of a generator?

Yes, changing the wire gauge can affect the lifespan of a generator. Using a wire gauge that is too thin can lead to excessive heat buildup due to higher resistance, which can damage the insulation and other components, potentially leading to premature failure. Conversely, using a thicker wire reduces resistance and heat buildup, which can enhance the generator's durability and operational lifespan.

4. What are the considerations for selecting the right wire gauge in generator design?

When selecting the right wire gauge for a generator, factors to consider include the expected electrical load, the generator's power output, efficiency requirements, and thermal management. Designers must balance the wire size to optimize performance while preventing excessive heat buildup and ensuring the generator can handle the expected electrical load without degradation over time.

5. Does wire gauge affect both AC and DC generators in the same way?

Yes, wire gauge affects both AC (Alternating Current) and DC (Direct Current) generators in similar ways by influencing resistance and thus the flow of electricity. However, the specific impacts might vary slightly due to differences in how AC and DC generators operate. AC generators typically deal with alternating currents which can lead to additional considerations like frequency and reactance, whereas DC generators have steady current flow, focusing more on direct resistance management.