Generator Capacity for Hybrid Truck Conversion

In summary: The company that I am getting the electric motors through specializes in electric vehicle conversions and can supply appropriate batteries in sufficient quantities for me to do the conversion just to electric, but I want the vehicle to operate without the use of the batteries. For example: The original torque rating for my engine was 194 ft/lbs at 2500 rpm, the two electric motors I have can generate as close as is needed to that power rating. At 2500 RPM, which is right around 66 MPH after passing directly through my differential, the motors should be producing 173 ft/lb of torque and running at 650 AMPS and 108 Volts each. If I'm not to mistaken that would be roughly 70,200 watts of power, per motor. Maybe I'm looking
GarbageGasMan
I am working on a project to convert my truck into a hybrid while not losing performance. The plan is to use the 350ci engine to run a generator to charge the batteries and to provide power to the two electric motors. I'm looking for a system similar to the Fisker Karma, where it can be run on just the batteries or just the generator power. The two motors I have picked out operate at 72-125 volts AC and 100-700 amps. my intention is to remove the transmission and transfer case from my truck and connect the generator to the engine in its place. The electric motors would then connect to the differentials via drive shafts. I'm assuming that the engine will be sufficient to run the generator since I'm not really increasing the horsepower of the vehicle.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try analyzing everything in terms of power as the first step.

1. How much power does it take to propel the truck at top speed?
  2. How much power does it take to accelerate the truck?
  3. How much power can the electric motors provide?
  4. How much power can the engine deliver to the generator?
  5. How much energy (power times time) do the batteries need to store? How many batteries of what size/weight is that?
If everything sounds good at that level, then you can start thinking of efficiencies, voltages, frequency, cost and all the other factors.

anorlunda said:
Try analyzing everything in terms of power as the first step.

1. How much power does it take to propel the truck at top speed?
  2. How much power does it take to accelerate the truck?
  3. How much power can the electric motors provide?
  4. How much power can the engine deliver to the generator?
  5. How much energy (power times time) do the batteries need to store? How many batteries of what size/weight is that?
If everything sounds good at that level, then you can start thinking of efficiencies, voltages, frequency, cost and all the other factors.

I'm pretty well past that point. I can upload the dyno test sheet for the motors I have picked out if that's necessary but I can tell you they deliver 184 ft/lbs to 173 ft/lbs of torque from 0-2500 rpm. At that spec I could actually run one of them on my truck and still be pretty close to what I'm currently getting out of the 350ci TBI engine that has over 250,000 miles on it. The mechanical side of things is pretty easily inside my wheelhouse, but my limited understanding of how to do the electrical left me with an answer that my generator had to be in the 30,000 - 70,000 watt range which is way more than I think is feasible to put in the truck. I really only want a minimum amount of batteries on it, just as a power reserve. I intend the truck to run basically under the electrical power that is generated 99% of the time.

No you're not past that point. You should answer all 5 of those questions before deciding on feasibility. Don't forget to express all the answers in the same units: Watts and watt-seconds for the batteries.

If the answers turn out to show the idea I feasible, that answers your question, right?

anorlunda said:
No you're not past that point. You should answer all 5 of those questions before deciding on feasibility. Don't forget to express all the answers in the same units: Watts and watt-seconds for the batteries.

If the answers turn out to show the idea I feasible, that answers your question, right?

The company that I am getting the electric motors through specializes in electric vehicle conversions and can supply appropriate batteries in sufficient quantities for me to do the conversion just to electric, but I want the vehicle to operate without the use of the batteries. For example: The original torque rating for my engine was 194 ft/lbs at 2500 rpm, the two electric motors I have can generate as close as is needed to that power rating. At 2500 RPM, which is right around 66 MPH after passing directly through my differential, the motors should be producing 173 ft/lb of torque and running at 650 AMPS and 108 Volts each. If I'm not to mistaken that would be roughly 70,200 watts of power, per motor. Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong angle but that seems like an excessive number.

70 kw of electric power corresponds to 93 horsepower. Two motors. Does your engine make 200 hp? Those are the kind of questions you need to answer.

Excessive? How many horsepower do you need to go 66 mph before the conversion?

Batteries? Suppose you need 140 kw of power, for one hour. How many lead-acid batteries is that? (more than you can carry is the answer).

I'm trying to encourage you to answer your own questions. If you put everything in the same units (watts) you can do it.

Related to Generator Capacity for Hybrid Truck Conversion

1. What is the purpose of a generator in a hybrid truck conversion?

The generator in a hybrid truck conversion is used to provide additional power to the vehicle's electric motor. This allows the truck to run on both electricity and fuel, reducing emissions and increasing fuel efficiency.

2. How is the generator capacity determined for a hybrid truck conversion?

The generator capacity for a hybrid truck conversion is determined by several factors such as the size and weight of the truck, the desired power output, and the type of battery used in the conversion. A thorough analysis of these factors is necessary to determine the appropriate generator capacity for optimal performance.

3. Can the generator capacity be increased in a hybrid truck conversion?

Yes, the generator capacity can be increased in a hybrid truck conversion. However, this may require modifications to the engine and electrical systems of the truck. It is important to consult with a professional to ensure that the increased generator capacity is compatible and safe for the vehicle.

4. How does the generator affect the overall performance of the hybrid truck conversion?

The generator plays a crucial role in the performance of a hybrid truck conversion. It provides the necessary power to supplement the electric motor, allowing the truck to operate efficiently. A properly sized and functioning generator can significantly improve the overall performance of the vehicle.

5. Are there any disadvantages to having a generator in a hybrid truck conversion?

The addition of a generator in a hybrid truck conversion can add weight and complexity to the vehicle. This may slightly reduce the fuel efficiency and increase maintenance costs. However, the benefits of reduced emissions and improved performance often outweigh these disadvantages.