Generating/spanning modules and submodules .... .... Blyth Theorem 2.3

In summary, the conversation is about the proof of Theorem 2.3 in T. S. Blyth's book on module theory. The proof involves a linear combination of elements of a union of submodules, but there is a question about whether the definition given by Blyth matches this concept. The proof is clarified by noting that a linear combination of elements in a module can also be written as a sum.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading T. S. Blyth's book: Module Theory: An Approach to Linear Algebra ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: Submodules; intersections and sums ... and need help with the proof of Theorem 2.3 ...

Theorem 2.3 reads as follows:View attachment 8157In the above proof we read the following:

" ... ... A linear combination of elements of \(\displaystyle \bigcup_{ i \in I }\) is precisely a sum of the form \(\displaystyle \sum_{ j \in J } m_j\) for some \(\displaystyle J \in P(I).\) ... ... "But ... Blyth defines a linear combination as in the text below ...https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/8158So ... given the above definition wouldn't a linear combination of elements of \(\displaystyle \bigcup_{ i \in I } M_i\) be a sum of the form \(\displaystyle \sum_{ j \in J } \lambda_j m_j\) ... and not just \(\displaystyle \sum_{ j \in J } m_j\) ... ... ?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: if $m \in M$ and $M$ is a module, then also $\lambda m \in M$, for $\lambda \in R$.

Thus $\Sigma_{j \in J} \lambda_j m'_j = \Sigma_{j \in J} m_j $ for $m_j = \lambda_j m'_j \in M_j$

However, the set $S$ used above, is not a module ...

Related to Generating/spanning modules and submodules .... .... Blyth Theorem 2.3

1. What is the Blyth Theorem 2.3?

The Blyth Theorem 2.3 is a mathematical theorem that states that every finite-dimensional vector space has a spanning set of generators, also known as a generating set or spanning set. This means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the elements in the generating set.

2. What is a generating module?

A generating module is a set of elements that can be used to create or "generate" all other elements in a vector space. In other words, it is a set of vectors that spans the entire vector space.

3. What is a spanning submodule?

A spanning submodule is a submodule of a larger module that contains all possible linear combinations of a set of elements in the larger module. In other words, it is a submodule that spans the entire module.

4. How is Blyth Theorem 2.3 used in scientific research?

Blyth Theorem 2.3 is often used in scientific research, particularly in the fields of mathematics and physics. It is used to prove the existence of a basis for a vector space, which is essential in many areas of research, such as studying systems of linear equations and analyzing physical phenomena.

5. Can Blyth Theorem 2.3 be applied to infinite-dimensional vector spaces?

No, Blyth Theorem 2.3 only applies to finite-dimensional vector spaces. In infinite-dimensional vector spaces, a generating set may not exist, and the concept of a basis becomes more complex. However, there are other theorems that can be used to describe generating sets and spanning submodules in infinite-dimensional vector spaces.