Generating randomly oriented non-intersecting cylinders in a unit cell

In summary, the conversation discusses a research topic involving the generation of non-intersecting randomly oriented cylinders for micromechanical analysis. The use of a monte-carlo approach and treating the cylinders as line segments is suggested, but concerns about the condition for rejecting intersecting cylinders arise. The idea of relocating intersecting cylinders is proposed, but it may not result in uniform random orientations. An algorithm for determining cylinder intersection is also mentioned.
tricha122
Hi all,

Im trying to think of a way of generating non-intersecting randomly oriented cylinders within a unit cell volume for micromechanical analysis.

Several research papers suggest a monte-carlo approach was used by displacing cylinders by vectors until the "condition was satisfied" - the condition is never stated. (also, i do not know what the monte carlo approach is)

My initial thought was to treat each cylinder as a line segment, and calculate the minimum distance between line segments, if that distance is > twice the radius of the cylinder, then they should not intersect. However, this also means that co-linear cylinders cannot be closer than twice the radius axially, which is not necessarily a condition i would like to impose.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Their terminology seems vague. One guess might be that they generate a set of randomly oriented cylinders and then move any of them that intersect using a displacement vector that doesn't change their orientation. "The condition" might mean that they have been moved so that none intersect any more. That would result in "non-intersecting randomly oriented cylinders"

tricha122 said:
Im trying to think of a way of generating non-intersecting randomly oriented cylinders within a unit cell volume for micromechanical analysis.

I think you'll get better advice if you describe exactly what is being analyzed and what the analysis attempts to discover. The terminology of doing something "randomly" doesn't refer to a specific mathematical method. If this has something to do with a physical material, you might get some hints from thinking about how the material is fabricated.

Nowadays, "monte-carlo method" usually refers to running a computer simulation of a random process many times and using statistics from those simulations to answer some question.

Stephen Tashi said:
I think you'll get better advice if you describe exactly what is being analyzed and what the analysis attempts to discover. The terminology of doing something "randomly" doesn't refer to a specific mathematical method. If this has something to do with a physical material, you might get some hints from thinking about how the material is fabricated.

Nowadays, "monte-carlo method" usually refers to running a computer simulation of a random process many times and using statistics from those simulations to answer some question.

This is a theoretical study, and I will be biasing the orientation of the fibers using statistical functions, however the Crux of the problem I have is the condition for rejecting intersecting fibers. If I treat them as line segments, I can reject fibers that come within twice the radius of each other.. But for two collinear Fibres this condition would space them axially apart at the ends by at least twice the radius which is not a necessary condition... In that case they could butt up together. I just can't think of how to define that exception to the condition

tricha122 said:
the Crux of the problem I have is the condition for rejecting intersecting fibers.

Does your question amount to "What is an efficient algorithm for determining whether two cylinders intersect?" ?

Stephen Tashi said:
Does your question amount to "What is an efficient algorithm for determining whether two cylinders intersect?" ?

Yes I guess you can say that, keeping in mind ill be generating hundreds of cylinders one at a time and ensuring the new cylinder doesn't intersect with any existing cylinders

tricha122 said:
the problem I have is the condition for rejecting intersecting fibers.

Generating randomly oriented cylinders one at a time and rejecting any that intersect will not give uniform random orientations in the final result. It is not the same as generating them and then moving them if they intersect.

FactChecker said:
Generating randomly oriented cylinders one at a time and rejecting any that intersect will not give uniform random orientations in the final result. It is not the same as generating them and then moving them if they intersect.

It is the same if you iterate the centroid and maintain the orientation (which I would say is similar to generating a full set of cylinders and relocating them) - but easier for me to process in my head. It still doesn't address the endpoint issue.

tricha122 said:
It is the same if you iterate the centroid and maintain the orientation (which I would say is similar to generating a full set of cylinders and relocating them) - but easier for me to process in my head. It still doesn't address the endpoint issue.

Agree. Detecting an intersection will probably have to be by brute force, checking each side of the new cylinder and making sure that it does not cross the near sides of any close cylinders.

Related to Generating randomly oriented non-intersecting cylinders in a unit cell

1. How do you generate randomly oriented non-intersecting cylinders in a unit cell?

To generate randomly oriented non-intersecting cylinders in a unit cell, you can use mathematical algorithms such as Monte Carlo methods or lattice-based algorithms. These algorithms use random number generators to determine the orientation and placement of the cylinders within the unit cell.

2. Why is it important to generate non-intersecting cylinders in a unit cell?

Generating non-intersecting cylinders is important because it ensures that the resulting structure is physically realistic and can be used to accurately model real-world systems. Intersecting cylinders would result in an unrealistic and unusable representation of the system.

3. What are some challenges in generating randomly oriented non-intersecting cylinders?

One of the main challenges in generating randomly oriented non-intersecting cylinders is finding an efficient and accurate algorithm that can handle a large number of cylinders. Additionally, ensuring that the cylinders do not intersect with each other or the boundaries of the unit cell requires careful consideration and fine-tuning of the algorithm.

4. Can you generate non-cylindrical shapes using this method?

Yes, the same principles and algorithms used to generate randomly oriented non-intersecting cylinders can also be applied to generate non-cylindrical shapes. However, the specific algorithms and parameters may need to be adjusted to accommodate different shapes.

5. How can this method be applied in scientific research?

This method can be applied in various fields of scientific research, such as materials science, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to model the microstructure of materials, simulate the behavior of molecules, or study the self-assembly of nanoparticles, among other applications.