Generating function for trigamma^2

In summary, the conversation discusses various generating functions and attempts to find a general formula for them. The first function being examined is $\sum_{n=1}^\infty [\psi_1(n)]^2 y^n$, which is as difficult to evaluate as $\sum_{n=1}^\infty [H_n^{(2)}]^2 y^n$. The group discusses their attempts and suggestions for finding a solution, including using the integral $\int^1_0 x^{k-1} \log(x) \,dx = \frac{1}{k^2}$ and introducing a new variable $y$. They also mention other interesting Euler-like sums and their closed forms in terms of zeta values.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
In this thread we are looking at the following generating function

$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty [\psi_1(n)]^2 y^n$$

We know that this is as hard as evaluating

$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty [H_n^{(2)}]^2 y^n$$

This is not a tutorial as I have no idea how to solve for a general formula. I'll keep posting my attempts on it. As always all other attempts and suggestions are welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by the following

$$\int^1_0 x^{k-1} \log(x) \,dx = \frac{1}{k^2}$$

Apply $\sum_k^n$ to both sides and rearrange

$$\int^1_0 \frac{x^{n}}{x-1}\log(x) \,dx = \zeta(2)-H_{n}^{(2)}$$

Multiply by $H_{n}^{(2)}$

$$\int^1_0 \frac{x^{n}H_{n}^{(2)}}{x-1}\log(x) \,dx = H_{n}^{(2)}\zeta(2)-[H_{n}^{(2)}]^2$$

Introduce a new variable $y$

$$\int^1_0 \frac{(yx)^{n}H_{n}^{(2)}}{x-1}\log(x) \,dx = \zeta(2)H_{n}^{(2)}y^n-[H_{n}^{(2)}]^2 y^n$$

Sum both sides

$$\int^1_0 \frac{\mathrm{Li}_2(xy)}{(1-x)(1-xy)}\log(x) \,dx = \sum_{n=1}^\infty [H_{n}^{(2)}]^2 y^n-\zeta(2)\frac{\mathrm{Li}_2(y)}{1-y}$$

$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty [H_{n}^{(2)}]^2 y^n=\int^1_0 \frac{\mathrm{Li}_2(xy)}{(1-x)(1-xy)}\log(x) \,dx +\zeta(2)\frac{\mathrm{Li}_2(y)}{1-y}$$

Cool thread, Z.

Here are a few thoughts. I am going to use $$\psi_{1}(n+1)$$ simply for ease of computations. We can adjust it for $\psi_{1}(n)$.

Attempt to find a gen. func. for $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\psi_{1}(n+1)\right)^{2}y^{n}$$

Note that:

$$\psi_{1}(n+1)=\zeta(2)-H_{n}^{(2)}$$

Square this:

$$\left(\zeta(2)-H_{n}^{(2)}\right)^{2}y^{n}$$

$$=\left(\frac{\pi^{4}}{36}-\frac{\pi^{2}}{3}H_{n}^{(2)}+\left(H_{n}^{(2)}\right)^{2}\right)y^{n}$$

Z, you already derived the $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(H_{n}^{(2)}\right)^{2}y^{n}$ part.

So, we need:

$$\frac{\pi^{4}}{36}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}y^{n}-\frac{\pi^{2}}{3}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}H_{n}^{(2)}y^{n}$$

$$=\frac{\pi^{4}y}{36(1-y)}-\frac{\pi^{2}}{3}\left(\frac{-2Li_{2}\left(\frac{y}{y-1}\right)}{1-y}\right)$$To instead obtain:

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\psi_{1}(n)\right)^{2}y^{n}$$ as originally posted, one may use

$$\psi_{1}(n)=\zeta(2)-H_{n-1}^{(2)}=\zeta(2)-\left(H_{n}^{(2)}-\frac{1}{n^{2}}\right)$$

Then, proceed as before.

Hey Z:

Here is another perhaps we can find a gen. func for. I feel I should already have this one.

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(H_{n})^{3}y^{n}$$

I derived several fun sums by successive diffing of the digamma.

If we note: $$G(x)=\frac{\Gamma(x)n!}{\Gamma(n+x+1)}$$

and $$P(x)=\psi(x)-\psi(x+n+1)$$

then, $$G'(x)=G(x)P(x), \;\ G''(x)=G(x)P^{2}(x)+G(x)P'(x), \;\ P^{(m)}(1)=(-1)^{m}m!H_{n+1}^{m+1}$$

$$\psi^{(m)}(1)=(-1)^{m+1}m!\zeta(m+1)$$

this finally leads to, for instance,

$$24\zeta(5)=2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{H_{n}^{(3)}}{n^{2}}+3\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{H_{n}^{(2)}H_{n}}{n^{2}}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\left[H_{n}\right]^{3}}{n^{2}}$$As an aside, there is also Morley's identity. Playing around (say, diffing w.r.t 'a' ) with this can lead to other fun sums and so forth:

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left[\frac{\Gamma(a+n)}{n!\Gamma(a)}\right]^{3}=\cos\left(\frac{\pi a}{2}\right)\cdot \frac{\Gamma\left (1-\frac{3a}{2}\right)}{\Gamma^{3}\left (1-\frac{a}{2}\right)}-1$$$$

quantaentangled said:
\
If we note: $$G(x)=\frac{\Gamma(x)n!}{\Gamma(n+x+1)}$$

and $$P(x)=\psi(x)-\psi(x+n+1)$$

then, $$G'(x)=G(x)P(x), \;\ G''(x)=G(x)P^{2}(x)+G(x)P'(x), \;\ P^{(m)}(1)=(-1)^{m}m!H_{n+1}^{m+1}$$

$$\psi^{(m)}(1)=(-1)^{m+1}m!\zeta(m+1)$$

this finally leads to, for instance,

$$24\zeta(5)=2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{H_{n}^{(3)}}{n^{2}}+3\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{H_{n}^{(2)}H_{n}}{n^{2}}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\left[H_{n}\right]^{3}}{n^{2}}$$

Wow C, nice procedure to find high order Euler sums.

Here is another to consider, Z. This converges to $2\zeta(3)-\zeta(2)$

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}H_{n}\left(\zeta(3)-H_{n}^{(3)}\right)=-1/2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}H_{n}\psi^{(2)}(n+1)$$

Last edited:
quantaentangled said:
Here is another to consider, Z. This converges to $2\zeta(3)-\zeta(2)$

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}H_{n}\left(\zeta(3)-H_{n}^{(3)}\right)=-1/2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}H_{n}\psi^{(2)}(n+1)$$

Hey C , I am busy with exams. I will take a look at the new stuff after I finish.

Hey Z man:). Here is two other interesting Euler-like sums that do converge. What are your thoughts on finding a closed form?.
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left[-(H_{n}^{(2)})^{3}+\frac{\pi^{2}}{2}(H_{n}^{(2)})^{2}-\frac{\pi^{4}}{12}H_{n}^{(2)}+\frac{\pi^{6}}{216}\right]...[1]$$

and/or

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\left(2(H_{n}^{(2)})^{2}-\frac{2\pi^{2}}{3}H_{n}^{(2)}+\frac{\pi^{4}}{18}\right)}{n+1}...[2]$$

both of these have closed forms in terms of zeta values...I am pretty sure.

[2] I managed to come up with when using Abel summation to expand and sum [1]:

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\zeta(2)-H_{n}^{(2})\right)^{3}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left[-(H_{n}^{(2)})^{3}+\frac{\pi^{2}}{2}(H_{n}^{(2)})^{2}-\frac{\pi^{4}}{12}H_{n}^{(2)}+\frac{\pi^{6}}{216}\right]$$

It is part of the expansion of the Abel sum, $b_{n}-b_{n+1}$ : $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n\left(\psi_{1}^{3}(n+1)-\psi_{1}^{3}(n+2)\right)$$. Well, if you step through it you'll know what I mean.

where $$\psi_{1}(n+1)=\zeta(2)-H_{n}^{(2)}, \;\ \psi_{1}(n+2)=\zeta(2)-H_{n+1}^{(2)}, \;\ H_{n+1}^{(2)}=H_{n}^{(2)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}$$

I used the difference of two cubes factorization to write this as several Euler sums. All are known values except [2] above. This is one portion of the expansion that is conditionally convergent.EDIT:

I managed to find the closed form for [2].

It is $$10\zeta(2)\zeta(3)+2\zeta(5)-5\zeta(4)-\frac{4\pi^{2}}{3}\zeta(3)$$

I can outline my method if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Related to Generating function for trigamma^2

What is a generating function for trigamma^2?

A generating function for trigamma^2 is a mathematical tool used to represent the coefficients of a sequence of numbers related to the trigamma function. It allows for the easy calculation of these coefficients and can be used to find patterns and make predictions about the sequence.

How is a generating function for trigamma^2 used in research?

In research, a generating function for trigamma^2 can be used to investigate the properties of the trigamma function and its relationship to other mathematical functions. It can also be used to solve problems in fields such as physics, statistics, and engineering.

What are the advantages of using a generating function for trigamma^2?

One major advantage of using a generating function for trigamma^2 is that it allows for the easy and efficient calculation of coefficients in a sequence. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different mathematical functions, making it a useful tool in various research areas.

Are there any limitations to using a generating function for trigamma^2?

While a generating function for trigamma^2 can be a powerful tool, it may have limitations in dealing with more complex sequences or functions. In addition, it may require some mathematical expertise to fully understand and apply in research.

How can I learn more about generating functions for trigamma^2?

There are many resources available online and in mathematical textbooks that provide information on generating functions for trigamma^2. You can also consult with a mathematician or attend workshops or conferences on the topic to deepen your understanding.