Generating Function for Gambler's Probs of Broke at Time n

In summary: Re: generating functionThere is no other way to solve the generating function for these probabilities other than using the Catalan number and the recursive relation.
oyth94
Suppose a gambler starts with one dollar and plays a game in which he or she wins one dollar with probability p and loses one dollar with probability 1 - p. Let fn be the probability that he or she fi rst becomes broke at time n for n = 0, 1, 2... Find a generating function for these probabilities.

So I think this is a binomial distribution is it? because it is giving me the fn = probability when first become broke.
since it is asking to find a generating function is use the
mx(s) = rx(es).
so since (i think) it is a binomial dist
then i let X ~ Binomial(n, theta)
and we know that the rx(t) = (t x theta + 1 - theta)n
so mx(s) = rx(es) = (estheta + 1 - theta)n
am i on the right track? i think i am not.. please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: generating function

oyth94 said:
Suppose a gambler starts with one dollar and plays a game in which he or she wins one dollar with probability p and loses one dollar with probability 1 - p. Let fn be the probability that he or she first becomes broke at time n for n = 0, 1, 2... Find a generating function for these probabilities.

So I think this is a binomial distribution is it? because it is giving me the fn = probability when first become broke.
mx(s) = rx(es).

The first step is the computation of $p_{n}$, i.e. the probability that he/she first becomes broke at the n-th step. It is not too difficult to realize that $p_{n}=0$ for n even and for n odd is... $\displaystyle p_{2 n+ 1} = (1 - p)\ h_{n}\ [p\ (1-p)]^{n}\ (1)$ ... where $h_{n}$ obeys to the recursive relation... $\displaystyle h_{n+1} = h_{n} + n,\ h_{1}=1\ (2)$... so that is...

$\displaystyle p_{n}= (1-p)\ \frac{n^{2} - n + 2}{2}\ [p\ (1-p)]^{n}\ (3)$

The (3) can now be used to valuate the generating function... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Re: generating function

oyth94 said:
Suppose a gambler starts with one dollar and plays a game in which he or she wins one dollar with probability p and loses one dollar with probability 1 - p. Let fn be the probability that he or she first becomes broke at time n for n = 0, 1, 2... Find a generating function for these probabilities.

mx(s) = rx(es).
This is a version of the gambler's ruin problem. As chisigma points out, the probability $f_n$ of becoming broke at the $n$th step is $0$ if $n$ is even. In the case where it is odd, $f_{2n+1} = C_np^n(1-p)^{n+1}$, where $C_n$ is the $n$th Catalan number. Using the first of those two links, you can check that the generating function for these probabilities can be expressed in the form $$\frac{1-\sqrt{1-4p(1-p)x^2}}{2px}.$$

Is there any other way to solve it besides using Catalan number and recursive relation and gamblers ruin?? Like using expected value or different distributions of some sort?

Yes, you are on the right track. The probability of becoming broke at time n can be represented by a binomial distribution. However, the generating function for this scenario can be calculated using the formula:

G(s) = (1-p + ps)^n

Where p is the probability of winning, (1-p) is the probability of losing, and n is the number of trials (in this case, the number of times the gambler plays the game).

Using this formula, we can find the generating function for the probabilities of becoming broke at time n:

G(s) = (1-p + ps)^n = (1-p + p)^n = (1)^n = 1

Therefore, the generating function for the probabilities of becoming broke at time n is 1. This means that the probabilities for becoming broke at different times are all equal to 1. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is because the probabilities for winning and losing are equal (p=1-p), so the chances of becoming broke at any given time is the same.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of a generating function for this scenario. It is important to note that generating functions are used to represent the probabilities of different outcomes in a more compact and efficient way. They are a useful tool in probability and statistics, but they may not always be intuitive.

Related to Generating Function for Gambler's Probs of Broke at Time n

1. What is a generating function for Gambler's Probs of Broke at Time n?

A generating function for Gambler's Probs of Broke at Time n is a mathematical tool used to calculate the probability of a gambler going broke after n number of rounds. It is a function that represents the probabilities of different outcomes for a specific scenario, such as a gambler's winning or losing streak, and can be used to determine the likelihood of the gambler going broke after a certain number of rounds.

2. How is the generating function for Gambler's Probs of Broke at Time n calculated?

The generating function for Gambler's Probs of Broke at Time n is typically calculated using a recursive formula, where the probabilities for each round are determined by the probabilities of the previous round. This formula can be derived from the underlying probability distribution of the gambler's game and can be solved using techniques from combinatorics and probability theory.

3. Can the generating function for Gambler's Probs of Broke at Time n be used for any gambling game?

Yes, the generating function can be applied to any gambling game that follows a similar pattern of potential outcomes and probabilities. However, the specific formula and approach may differ depending on the game and its underlying probability distribution.

4. How can the generating function for Gambler's Probs of Broke at Time n be useful?

The generating function can be useful in predicting the long-term behavior of a gambler's bankroll. By calculating the probabilities of going broke at different points in time, it can help a gambler make informed decisions about their betting strategy and manage their bankroll more effectively.

5. Are there any limitations to using the generating function for Gambler's Probs of Broke at Time n?

One limitation is that the generating function assumes the gambler's game is fair and has a known probability distribution. In reality, many gambling games are not fair and their underlying probability distribution may not be known. Additionally, the generating function does not take into account external factors such as the gambler's behavior or emotions, which can also influence the likelihood of going broke.