Generating an inverse function from the given one

In summary: In that case, one can readily use that $y(y^2+1) = P/K_2$ which gives $$\frac{y^3}{3}+\frac{y}{3} = \frac{P}{(3K_2)^3}$$whence $y = \left( \left( \frac{P}{(3K_2)^3} \right)^2 + \frac{1}{27} \right)^{1/3} - \left( \frac{P}{(3K_2)^3} \right)^{1/3}$. This is essentially the same as Cardano's solution. As Douglas Hofstadter notes, the essence of
clumps tim
Hi, I have a relationship

$$P \cong \Bigg[\Big(K_1\rho^{\frac{5}{3}}\Big)^{-2}+ \Big(K_2\rho^{\frac{4}{3}}\Big)^{-2}\Bigg]^{-\frac{1}{2}}$$I need to find the inverse as $$\rho= \rho(P)$$.

I made a detailed calculation and came up to this

$$y^5+\Big(\frac{P}{K_2}\Big)^2 y+ \Big(\frac{P}{K_1}\Big)^2=0$$
here $$ y= \rho^{\frac{2}{3}}$$
Now I am stuck, I need a general solution for 5th order polynomail or is there aany other suggested method to solve, plaes help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Using your substitution $y=\rho^{2/3}$, I get
$$y^5-\left(\frac{P}{K_1}\right)^{\! 2}-\left(\frac{P}{K_2}\right)^{\!2}y=0.$$
There is no general solution to the quintic, as Abel and Ruffini proved.

If you have numerical values for the constants, you could solve this numerically. If the coefficients are all real, then you're guaranteed at least one real solution.

Ackbach said:
Hmm. Using your substitution $y=\rho^{2/3}$, I get
$$y^5-\left(\frac{P}{K_1}\right)^{\! 2}-\left(\frac{P}{K_2}\right)^{\!2}y=0.$$
There is no general solution to the quintic, as Abel and Ruffini proved.

If you have numerical values for the constants, you could solve this numerically. If the coefficients are all real, then you're guaranteed at least one real solution.

Thanks a lot. Now I have never done any numerical solution. if I assume k1 and k2 to be 1 and then take different values for P to get different values for y, and plot a graph, will it be a reasonable solution.

can you please guide how to get a numerical solution for this quintic equation?

A standard way to get a numeric solution is to use the Taylor expansion. Let

$$x^5 + ax + b = 0$$

Be your quintic. Applying the affine transformation $x = \sqrt[4]{a} \cdot z$ gives

$$\sqrt[4]{a^5} \cdot z^5 + \sqrt[4]{a^5} \cdot z + b = 0$$

Dividing out by $\sqrt[4]{a^5}$ and setting $t = b \cdot a^{-5/4}$ result the one-parameter Bring-Jerrard form

$$z^5 + z = -t \tag{+}$$

Write $z = z(-t)$ for one of the 5 solutions of the quintic dependent on parameter $t$. Clearly, if $t = 0$ then $z(t)$ must satisfy $z(z^4 + 1) = 0$ the real solution of which is $z = 0$. Thus, $z(0) = 0$. For calculating $z'(0)$, differentiate $(+)$ with respect to $t$ to get

$$5z(t)^4 \cdot z'(t) + z'(t) + 1 = 0 \Rightarrow z'(t) = \frac1{1 + 5z(t)^4}$$

Substituting $t = 0$ above and noting that $z(0) = 0$, we get $z'(0) = 1$. One can in this way derive the higher derivatives at $t = 0$. First few values of the derivatives are $z(0) = 0, z'(0) = 1, z''(0) = 0, z'''(0) = 0, z^\text{IV}(0) = 0, z^\text{V}(0) = -1$ etc. The nonzero derivatives are $z'(0) = 1, z^\text{V}(0) = -1, z^\text{IX}(0) = 5, z^\text{XIII}(0) = -35$ etc.

Finding a closed form for this is a pain in the neck. Of course, we can cheat. The first entry is precisely the sequence involved (see Sloan's comment on the formula section). Thus, our desired Maclaurin series is

$$z(t) = \sum_{k = 0}^\infty \binom{5k}{k} \frac{(-1)^{k+1} t^{1+4k}}{1+4k}$$

This is not entirely convergent outside the radius $|t| = 4 \cdot 5^{-5/4}$, so you have to be careful. Let's try out formula for $t = 1/2$ :

Using the PARI/GP snippet $\colorbox{LightGray}{$\texttt{solve(x=0,-1,x^5+x+1)}$}$ one gets the approximate solution of $-0.47565274353960478548185664$. Whereas using the snippet $\colorbox{LightGray}{$\texttt{sum(k=0,10,binomial(5*k,k)*(-1)^(k+1)*(1/2)^(1+4*k)/(1+4*k)}$}$, one gets $-0.47569803996611881302669644$ which is correct upto 4 decimal digits. This is not really THAT efficient, however one can use some series accelerations to get an rapid convergence of the series.

[PS : We can actually prove the above formula rigorously without any cheating whatsoever, but that'd require a fair bit of complex analysis. Google "Lagrange-Burmann inversion"]

Last edited:
Another method is the following: differentiate the equation w.r.t. $P$, treating $y=y(P)$ thus:
\begin{align*}
y^5-\frac{P^2}{K_2^2}y-\frac{P^2}{K_1^2}&=0 \\
5y^4 y'-\frac{1}{K_2^2}\left(2Py+P^2 y'\right)-\frac{2P}{K_1^2}&=0 \\
5y^4 y'-\frac{P^2}{K_2^2} y'&=\frac{2P}{K_1^2}+\frac{2Py}{K_2^2}=2P\left[ \frac{1}{K_1^2}+\frac{y}{K_2^2}\right] \\
y'&=\frac{2P\left[ \frac{1}{K_1^2}+\frac{y}{K_2^2}\right]}{5y^4-\frac{P^2}{K_2^2}}.
\end{align*}
Now solve this differential equation numerically for $y(P)$, and plot the solution. I know that Mathematica will do this. I would guess MATLAB could do it as well.

That reminded me of the Cockle-Harley type methods of the mid 19s! [this and this]

Related to Generating an inverse function from the given one

Question 1: What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical operation that "undoes" another function. It takes the output of a given function and returns the input value that produced that output.

Question 2: How do you generate an inverse function?

To generate an inverse function, you can follow these steps:

1. Write the original function as y = f(x).
  2. Swap the x and y variables to get x = f(y).
  3. Solve for y to get y = f-1(x).

Question 3: What is the notation for an inverse function?

The notation for an inverse function is f-1(x), where "f" represents the original function and the "-1" indicates that it is the inverse function.

Question 4: Are all functions invertible?

No, not all functions are invertible. A function must be one-to-one (each input has a unique output) and onto (each output has an input) in order to have an inverse function.

Question 5: Can you provide an example of generating an inverse function?

For example, let's say we have the function f(x) = 2x + 3. To generate its inverse, we follow the steps above:

1. Write the original function as y = 2x + 3.
  2. Swap the x and y variables to get x = 2y + 3.
  3. Solve for y to get y = (x - 3)/2.

Therefore, the inverse function is f-1(x) = (x - 3)/2.