Generating a linear equation from the given expression

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving two equations where the goal is to solve for x and y. The first equation is \(3^y = 4(3^{x-2}) - 1\) and the second equation is \(64(4^y) = 16^x\). After some discussion and manipulation, it is determined that the second equation can be simplified to \(y = \frac{\ln (\frac{4}{9} 3^x - 1)}{\ln 3}\) and substituted into the first equation to solve for x.
nicodemus1
Good Day,

I need some help with the following problem.

I do not know how to generate a linear equation connecting y and x from the expression below as the 4 seems to complicate things

\(3^y = 4(3^{x-2}) - 1\)

Could some one please care to give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What complicates things is -1. Without it, taking log₃ of both sides we get y = log₃4 + x - 2. As it is, the relationship between x and y is not linear.

nicodemus said:
Good Day,

I need some help with the following problem.

I do not know how to generate a linear equation connecting y and x from the expression below as the 4 seems to complicate things

\(3^y = 4(3^{x-2}) - 1\)

Could some one please care to give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

By linear equation I take you mean something which will give a straight line when plotted on a graph? Even so that $-1$ is much more problematic than the 4 because it means we can't use logarithms effectively (for the record the 4 wouldn't be a problem thanks to the log addition law) so a log-log graph won't come out linear either.

Thank you all for your advice.

However, I'm not required to transform the expression into a linear equation to plot it. I have to solve for x and y.

I apologise for not making myself clearer earlier. I was given 2 equations and I have to solve for x and y.

The other equation is: \(64(4^y) = 16^x\).

I had no problems in obtaining an equation connecting x and y from the above equation. It is the 2nd equation that I mentioned earlier in this post that I'm having trouble with in getting an equation connecting x and y.

Hope this information helps you give me a clearer direction.

nicodemus said:

However, I'm not required to transform the expression into a linear equation to plot it. I have to solve for x and y.

I apologise for not making myself clearer earlier. I was given 2 equations and I have to solve for x and y.

I had no problems in obtaining an equation connecting x and y from the above equation. It is the 2nd equation that I mentioned earlier in this post that I'm having trouble with in getting an equation connecting x and y.

Ah, so it's simultaneous equations? This makes life much easier. The equation in the above post is also easier to manipulate.

$64 \cdot 4^y = 16^x$

Note that 64, 4 and 16 are all powers of 4 so the equation can be written as

$4^3 \cdot 4^y = (4^2)^x$

From the exponent laws: $4^{3+y} = 4^{2x}$

We also know that if the bases are the same the exponents must also be the same (or take logs to base 4, your choice) leading to: $3+y = 2x$

It is trivial to make y either y or x the subject of that equation and then to substitute it into $3^y = 4(3^{x-2})-1$

nicodemus said:

If Your first equation is...

$\displaystyle 3^{y}= 4\ (3^{x-2})-1$ (1)

... with simple steps it becomes...

$\displaystyle y=\frac{\ln (\frac{4}{9}\ 3^{x}-1)}{\ln 3}\ $ (2)

Now You insert (2) into $\displaystyle 64\ (4^{y})= 16^{x}$ and solve in x...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Generating a linear equation from the given expression

1. How do I generate a linear equation from the given expression?

To generate a linear equation, you need to first identify the variables in the expression. Then, use the following formula: y = mx + b. M represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept. Plug in the values of the variables to find the equation.

2. What is the difference between a linear equation and a non-linear equation?

A linear equation is an equation where the highest exponent of the variable is 1, and when graphed, it forms a straight line. A non-linear equation has a variable with an exponent greater than 1, and when graphed, it does not form a straight line.

3. Can a linear equation have more than one variable?

Yes, a linear equation can have more than one variable. However, it must still have a maximum exponent of 1 for each variable and form a straight line when graphed.

4. How can I check if my generated linear equation is correct?

You can check if your linear equation is correct by substituting different values for the variables and solving for the corresponding y-values. If the points lie on the line when graphed, then your equation is correct.

5. Can I generate a linear equation from any given expression?

No, not all expressions can be turned into a linear equation. Only expressions that have a maximum exponent of 1 for each variable can be turned into a linear equation. Other types of equations, such as quadratic or exponential, have different forms and cannot be converted into a linear equation.