Generalized commutation relations

In summary: In more advanced treatments of GR, people sometimes consider the concept of a "vector along a path." Although this can be made mathematically precise, it is still not as useful as one might think for doing calculations.In summary, the conversation discusses commutation relations involving operators, with the operators being defined in terms of covariant derivatives and a general Einstein metric. The first relation is found to be zero while the others are not yet in a simplified form. The conversation also touches on the transformation properties of x^{\alpha} under general coordinate transformations and its implications for general covariance. The idea of defining the metric locally flat and using second derivatives to account for curvature is suggested, as well as the possibility of using displacement vectors along geodesic
jfy4
I would like to work out the following commutation relations (assuming I have the operators right...:-p)

(1) [tex]\left[\hat{p}^{\alpha},\hat{p}_{\beta}\right][/tex]

(2) [tex]\left[\hat{p}_{\alpha},\hat{L}^{\beta\gamma}\right][/tex]

(3) [tex]\left[\hat{L}^{\alpha\beta},\hat{L}_{\gamma\delta}\right][/tex]

where

[tex]\hat{p}^{\alpha}=i\nabla^{\alpha}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{L}^{\alpha\beta}=i(x^{\alpha}\nabla^{\beta}-x^{\beta}\nabla^{\alpha})[/tex]

where [itex]\nabla[/itex] is the covariant derivative. I have managed to work out (1) I think, I got zero. The others I have started but I can't seem to reduce them down to a pretty form. Do I have the operators right (for general Einstein metric)?

EDIT:

I'll post what I got for (2)

[tex]=\delta_{\alpha}^{\beta}\partial^{\gamma}\psi-\delta_{\alpha}^{\gamma}\partial^{\beta}\psi+\Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha\delta}x^{\delta}\partial^{\gamma}\psi-\Gamma^{\gamma}_{\alpha\delta}x^{\delta}\partial^{\beta}\psi[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jfy4 said:
I have managed to work out (1) I think, I got zero.
Have you assumed that the covariant derivatives act on a scalar function?

See Eq. (121) in
http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap6/node10.html

Last edited:
Note also that, under GENERAL coordinate transformations, [tex]x^{\alpha}[/tex] does NOT transform as a vector. Therefore, some of the expressions above you consider are not really general-covariant.

Demystifier said:
Have you assumed that the covariant derivatives act on a scalar function?

See Eq. (121) in
http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap6/node10.html

Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Demystifier said:
Note also that, under GENERAL coordinate transformations, [tex]x^{\alpha}[/tex] does NOT transform as a vector. Therefore, some of the expressions above you consider are not really general-covariant.

Geez! what a bummer... Why does it not transform that way?

Also, thanks for responding to these threads, you have been a great help.

jfy4 said:
Geez! what a bummer... Why does it not transform that way?
Because the differential [tex]dx^{\alpha}[/tex] transforms as a vector and it is easy to show that [tex]dx^{\alpha}[/tex] and [tex]x^{\alpha}[/tex] do not transform equally, unless the coordinate transformation does not depend on [tex]x^{\alpha}[/tex]. I leave it to you to show this explicitly, as a simple exercise.

An error correction: I meant ... unless the DERIVATIVES of coordinate transformations do not depend on [tex]x^{\alpha}[/tex].

A simple way to see that the "position" 4-vector is no longer a 4-vector under general coordinate transformation is to consider the case of transforming coordinates between Cartesian coordinates and spherical polar coordinates. One can see immediately that the components of a particle's position transforms non-linearly and therefore no longer obeys the linear transformation law. Differentials still DO obey the linear transformation laws though.

Demystifier said:

It appears that the coordinate 4-vector only transforms as a vector in local cases.

Given that, would it be appropriate to define the metric locally flat- however the second derivatives as non-zero. Then I could carry out the commutation relations and [itex]x^{\alpha}[/itex] would transform appropriately but yet the curvature would be taken into account?

This might sound silly, sorry for the naivete, but would replacing [itex]x^\alpha[/itex] with [itex]\chi^\alpha[/itex] in the above relations, where [itex]\chi[/itex] is the displacement vector of separation between two particles on geodesic paths, make them generally co-variant?

No, because in differential geometry (on which general relativity is based) vectors are defined on POINTS. The path you mention is defined by more than one point, so there is no single natural point on which such a vector could be defined.

Related to Generalized commutation relations

1. What are generalized commutation relations?

Generalized commutation relations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between two operators in quantum mechanics. They specify how the operators behave when they act on the same quantum state, and are essential for understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

2. Why are generalized commutation relations important?

Generalized commutation relations are important because they allow us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. They help us understand how operators, such as position and momentum, interact with each other and how they affect the state of a system.

3. How are generalized commutation relations different from classical commutation relations?

Generalized commutation relations are different from classical commutation relations because they take into account the principles of quantum mechanics. In classical mechanics, two quantities can be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision, but in quantum mechanics, there is a fundamental limit to how precisely two quantities can be measured at the same time.

4. Are there different types of generalized commutation relations?

Yes, there are different types of generalized commutation relations, depending on the operators involved and the properties of the quantum system. Some common types include position-momentum, angular momentum, and energy-time commutation relations.

5. How are generalized commutation relations used in research?

Generalized commutation relations are used extensively in research in quantum mechanics, as they provide a framework for describing and predicting the behavior of quantum systems. They are also used in the development of new quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography.