Generalization of the bohr rule for harmonic oscillators

In summary, the homework statement is that the energy of a harmonic oscillator will be proportional to the square of the amplitude of the oscillation and will be equal to the mass times the spring constant.
uppiemurphy

Homework Statement

The generalization of the bohr rule to periodic motion more general than circular orbit states that:
p.dr = nh = 2∏nh(bar).

the integral is a closed line integral and the bolded letters represent vectors.

Using the generalized, show that the spectrum for the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator, for which E = p2/2m + mw2x2/2 is E = nh(bar)w.

Homework Equations

2∏x = nλ, px = nh(bar)

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I know how to get E = nh(bar)w for a harmonic oscillator without using integrals, but I'm confused as to how to express E as an integral which is what I assume they're asking for.

I know that the total energy of the system when the spring is fully stretched is Etot = mw2x2/2. Do I somehow have to write this in terms of momentum and then integrate? I'm probably missing something fairly obvious here, but how would I write that in terms of P?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, uppiemurphy.

It's not that you need to express E as an integral. Rather, you need to express the result of the integraton ∫pdx in terms of E. The quantization of E will then come from the condition ∫pdx = nh.

To perform the integration ∫pdx you'll need to express p as a function of x for a specific energy E. Note E = KE + PE. See if you can express KE in terms of p and PE in terms of x. [Edit: I see that the expression for E in terms of p and x is already given in the problem. Use it to get p as a function of x so you can do the integration.]

Last edited:
I'm just confused as to what to do with E mainly... when I isolate my expression for p I'm left with p = sqrt(2mE-m^2w^2x^2) how do I integrate this when I have E in my expression for p?

E is just a constant of the motion. So, you have ## p = \sqrt{a-bx^2}## where a and b are constants.

I don't see how that integral would yield the correct answer at all though... You end up with a pretty complicated expression that is difficult to simplify

nevermind I got it! thank you for your help!

Related to Generalization of the bohr rule for harmonic oscillators

1. What is the Bohr rule for harmonic oscillators?

The Bohr rule for harmonic oscillators is a mathematical relationship that describes the energy levels of a quantum mechanical system, such as an atom or molecule, in terms of its vibrational and rotational motion.

2. How does the Bohr rule apply to harmonic oscillators?

The Bohr rule can be applied to harmonic oscillators by using the same mathematical principles to determine the energy levels of the system based on its vibrational and rotational motion.

3. Can the Bohr rule be generalized for all types of harmonic oscillators?

Yes, the Bohr rule can be generalized for all types of harmonic oscillators as long as the system follows the same mathematical principles and has a quantized energy spectrum.

4. What is the significance of generalizing the Bohr rule for harmonic oscillators?

Generalizing the Bohr rule for harmonic oscillators allows for a better understanding and prediction of the energy levels of quantum mechanical systems, which has important applications in fields such as chemistry and physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the generalization of the Bohr rule for harmonic oscillators?

While the generalization of the Bohr rule applies to many harmonic oscillators, it may not accurately predict the energy levels for complex systems or those with non-harmonic behavior.