Generalization of Mean Value Theorem for Integrals Needed

In summary, the following is true: if F: U \subset \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow W \subset \mathbb{R}^{n} is a continuous function, and x: I \subset \mathbb{R} \rightarrow V \subset \mathbb{R}^{n} is a continuous function, then there exists a function t^* such that \int_{t_1}^{t_2} F(x(t),t)\,dt = F(x(t^*),t^*)(t_2-t_1)
Only a Mirage
Hi all,

I'm having trouble finding a certain generalization of the mean value theorem for integrals. I think my conjecture is true, but I haven't been able to prove it - so maybe it isn't.

Is the following true?

If [itex] F: U \subset \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow W \subset \mathbb{R}^{n} [/itex] is a continuous function

and [itex]x: I \subset \mathbb{R} \rightarrow V \subset \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] is a continuous function

then [itex]\exists t^* \in [t_1,t_2][/itex] such that

[itex]\int_{t_1}^{t_2} F(x(t),t)\,dt = F(x(t^*),t^*)(t_2-t_1)[/itex]

I can see that it holds for each of the component functions of ##F##, but I'm not sure about the whole thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm actually fairly certain now that my conjecture is false...

Only a Mirage said:
Hi all,

I'm having trouble finding a certain generalization of the mean value theorem for integrals. I think my conjecture is true, but I haven't been able to prove it - so maybe it isn't.

Is the following true?

If [itex] F: U \subset \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow W \subset \mathbb{R}^{n} [/itex] is a continuous function

and [itex]x: I \subset \mathbb{R} \rightarrow V \subset \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] is a continuous function

then [itex]\exists t^* \in [t_1,t_2][/itex] such that

[itex]\int_{t_1}^{t_2} F(x(t),t)\,dt = F(x(t^*),t^*)(t_2-t_1)[/itex]

I can see that it holds for each of the component functions of ##F##, but I'm not sure about the whole thing.

[itex]g(t) = F(x(t),t)[/itex] is a function from [itex][t_1,t_2] \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], so by definition one integrates it component by component with respect to the standard basis.

For each component [itex]g_k[/itex], there exists [itex]t^*_k \in [t_1,t_2][/itex] such that [itex](t_2 - t_1) g_k(t^*_k) = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} g_k(t)\,\mathrm{d}t[/itex] by the mean value theorem applied to [itex]G_k(t) = \int_{t_1}^t g_k(s)\,\mathrm{d}s[/itex].

The value of [itex]t[/itex] where [itex]g_k[/itex] attains its average value is not necessarily unique, so for [itex]g[/itex] to attain its average there must be at least one [itex]t[/itex] where every component attains its average, which is not necessarily the case.

For example, consider [itex]g : [0,1] \to \mathbb{R}^2 : t \mapsto (t,t)[/itex]. Then
[tex]
\int_0^1 g(t)\,\mathrm{d}t = \int_0^1 (t,t^2)\,\mathrm{d}t = (\frac12, \frac13)
[/tex]
Since each component is strictly increasing on [itex][0,1][/itex], that component attains its average at exactly one point, and we have [itex]t_1^{*} = \frac 12[/itex] and [itex]t_2^{*} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]. These are not equal, so [itex]g[/itex] does not attain its average on [itex][0,1][/itex].

One can obtain [itex]g[/itex] by taking [itex]F(x,y,z) = (x,y^2)[/itex] and [itex](x(t),y(t)) = (t,t)[/itex].

Likes 1 person
That makes sense. Thanks a lot for the help.

Dear researcher,

Thank you for your inquiry about a generalization of the mean value theorem for integrals. This is an interesting and challenging topic, and it is important to carefully consider any conjectures before attempting to prove them.

From the information provided, it seems that you are interested in the possibility that the mean value theorem for derivatives can be extended to integrals in higher dimensions. This is a common question, and there are indeed several generalizations of the mean value theorem for integrals.

One such generalization is the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals in Higher Dimensions, which states that if F: U \subset \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \rightarrow W \subset \mathbb{R}^{n} is a continuous function and x: I \subset \mathbb{R} \rightarrow V \subset \mathbb{R}^{n} is a continuous function, then there exists a point (x^*,t^*) \in U \times I such that

\int_{t_1}^{t_2} F(x(t),t)\,dt = F(x^*,t^*)(t_2-t_1)

This generalization is often used in multivariable calculus and has been proven to hold under certain conditions.

Another generalization is the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals on Curves, which states that if x: I \subset \mathbb{R} \rightarrow V \subset \mathbb{R}^{n} is a continuous function and f: V \rightarrow \mathbb{R} is a continuous function, then there exists a point t^* \in I such that

\int_{t_1}^{t_2} f(x(t))\,|x'(t)|\,dt = f(x(t^*))(t_2-t_1)

This generalization is commonly used in the study of curve integrals and has also been proven to hold under certain conditions.

In conclusion, there are indeed generalizations of the mean value theorem for integrals, but it is important to carefully consider the conditions under which they hold. I hope this information helps in your research. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Sincerely,

Related to Generalization of Mean Value Theorem for Integrals Needed

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals?

The Mean Value Theorem for Integrals is a theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous function over a closed interval, there exists a point within that interval where the average value of the function is equal to the value of the function at that point.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals used?

The Mean Value Theorem for Integrals is used to prove other theorems in calculus, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Second Mean Value Theorem for Integrals. It is also useful in finding the average value of a function over an interval.

3. What is the Generalization of Mean Value Theorem for Integrals?

The Generalization of Mean Value Theorem for Integrals is an extension of the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals that applies to functions that are not necessarily continuous. It states that if a function is integrable over an interval, then there exists a point within that interval where the average value of the function is equal to the value of the function at that point.

4. Why is the Generalization of Mean Value Theorem for Integrals needed?

The Generalization of Mean Value Theorem for Integrals is needed because it allows for the application of the mean value concept to a wider range of functions. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of functions and their averages over an interval.

5. How is the Generalization of Mean Value Theorem for Integrals proven?

The Generalization of Mean Value Theorem for Integrals is proven using similar techniques to the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals. It involves finding a point within the interval where the average value of the function is equal to the value of the function at that point, and then using the properties of integrals to show that this point exists.