General triangle rules and formulas?

In summary, the conversation was about the search for a website to review basic triangle rules and patterns, specifically the Pythagorean Triples. The pattern for generating these triples was discussed using integers a and b, and the concept of degeneracy was also mentioned. The conversation also touched on the use of negative numbers in math.
Euphoriet
Hi guys I'm looking for a website where I can review basic triangle rules such as the formulas for right triangles... I would look at a geometry book but I don't have one. Its been a long time and I need some reviewing to do.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knew about the group of triangles such as one with sides measuring 4,5,3... , 24,25, 7 etc? This are the typical SAT triangles.. and I know there is a patter but I don't know what it is.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Given integers, a and b, the entire pattern is generated by

[tex] X=a^2-b^2, Y=2ab, Z=a^2+b^2, where X^2 +Y^2 = Z^2. [/tex]

You can check this by multiplication and by reading Modern Algebra by Birkhoff and MacLane.

Last edited:
Also, given any odd interger 'n', [tex]\frac {n^2 + 1}{2}, ~\frac {n^2 - 1}{2} [/tex] complete a triple.

Thus, for 3, you have 4=(9-1)/2 and 5 =(9+1)/2
for 5, you have 12 = (25-1)/2, 13 = (25+1)/2
then there's 7, 24, 25 and 9, 40, 41 and so on..

Gokul43201 said:
Also, given any odd interger 'n'...

but what's going on at n = 1?
a zero length side on a triangle can't be possible. :confused:

or maybe we're not talking strictly about triangles?

Last edited:
So what statement is true?.. I'm lost now

Math Is Hard said:
but what's going on at n = 1?
a zero length side on a triangle can't be possible. :confused:

or maybe we're not talking strictly about triangles?

You've got a "degenarate" case here:
Two "sides" of length 1, one "side" with length 0; that is a straight line segment of length 1 traversed in opposite directions when going around your "triangle" (ending up on your starting point)

this is getting confusing now =-/

I think our triangle just collapses to line segment when n = 1, that's all.
But correct me if I am wrong, arildno.

That's what I meant, Math is hard ("degeneracy" is a word often used in similar cases).

Negative numbers anyone?

hehe

Related to General triangle rules and formulas?

1. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in triangles?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is used to find the length of a missing side in a right triangle, or to determine if a triangle is a right triangle.

2. What is the difference between an acute, obtuse, and right triangle?

An acute triangle has all angles less than 90 degrees, an obtuse triangle has one angle greater than 90 degrees, and a right triangle has one 90 degree angle.

3. How do you find the area of a triangle?

The area of a triangle can be found by using the formula A = 1/2 * base * height. The base and height must be perpendicular to each other, and the base is any side of the triangle.

4. What is the law of sines and how is it used?

The law of sines states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of its opposite angle is the same for all three sides. This law can be used to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle.

5. How do you determine if a triangle is congruent to another triangle?

Two triangles are considered congruent if all three corresponding sides and angles are equal. This can be determined using the Side-Side-Side (SSS), Side-Angle-Side (SAS), Angle-Side-Angle (ASA), or Hypotenuse-Leg (HL) congruence criteria.