General textbook within the area of physics

In summary, the conversation is about a final year undergraduate chemistry student seeking a general textbook on physics to enhance their understanding of quantum mechanics. They have a good knowledge of quantum mechanics but want to improve their understanding of classical physics as well. They have some background in physics from their chemistry degree, but it is not at a high level. The textbook is for the student themselves, as they plan to pursue a Ph.D in theoretical chemistry. Some suggested textbooks are provided in the conversation.
Wavefunction12
Hi everyone!

I wanted to put a quick post up on the forum! I'm a final year undergraduate chemistry student, and my dissertation topic involves using molecular quantum dynamics to simulate charge-transfer at a solar cell heterojunction. My knowledge of quantum mechanics is acceptable, but I'm looking for a good general textbook within the area of physics.
Quantum mechanics is something I hope to work with for my Ph.D, but I have a general interest in physics and would like a textbook for an undergraduate student. I assume to fully understand quantum theory, I need to understand classical physics to a fairly high level? My mathematical ability isn't quite 'physicist' level yet, but I'm fairly well versed in Calculus I,II and my Linear Algebra is getting better.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post is a little confusing. Is this textbook for you or your friend? Do you want to learn quantum mechanics or classical physics?

Have you studied any physics already as part of your chemistry degree, and if so, using which textbook? In the US, chemistry bachelors degrees normally include at least first-year introductory physics at the level of e.g. Halliday/Resnick/Walker Fundamentals of Physics. Also, physical chemistry includes includes some quantum mechanics IIRC. I don't know what it's like in other countries.

jtbell said:
Have you studied any physics already as part of your chemistry degree, and if so, using which textbook? In the US, chemistry bachelors degrees normally include at least first-year introductory physics at the level of e.g. Halliday/Resnick/Walker Fundamentals of Physics. Also, physical chemistry includes includes some quantum mechanics IIRC. I don't know what it's like in other countries.

The physics covered in my chemistry degree isn't particularly high level. In first year, simple quantum mechanics was introduced; Particle in a box etc. In second year we discussed the time-independent Schrödinger equation and the variation method. Third year we covered partition functions (stat therm) and very little quantum mechanics. All quantum mechanical content I've learned has come through Atkins Physical Chemistry, Atkins Molecular Quantum Mechanics and an old book called Quantum Chemistry by Denaro. I would like to improve my GENERAL physics. I'm also still unsure to what the best texts are for QM though!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Your post is a little confusing. Is this textbook for you or your friend? Do you want to learn quantum mechanics or classical physics?
I have just re-read my post and understand the confusion. I am wanting an undergraduate textbook for MYSELF, because the physics taught in my chemistry degree isn't at a high enough level. I'm hopefully starting my Ph.D in theoretical chemistry next year and would like to prepare in every way possible.

Related to General textbook within the area of physics

1. What topics does a general physics textbook cover?

A general physics textbook typically covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Is there a recommended prerequisite knowledge for using a general physics textbook?

A basic understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is usually recommended for using a general physics textbook.

3. What is the difference between a general physics textbook and a specialized one?

A general physics textbook covers a broad range of topics and is suitable for beginners, while a specialized textbook focuses on a specific aspect or subfield of physics and is intended for more advanced learners.

4. Can a general physics textbook be used for self-study?

Yes, a general physics textbook can be used for self-study, but it is important to supplement with practice problems and additional resources to fully grasp the concepts.

5. Are there any notable differences between different editions of a general physics textbook?

While the core concepts and principles remain the same, newer editions of a general physics textbook may include updated information, improved explanations, and additional practice problems.