General relativity vs quantum mechanics

In summary: If GR governs what it is supposed to govern and QM governs what it is supposed to govern and they never cross paths, then why is it such a big deal?In summary, the problem with GR and QM is that they predict different things, but theoretically they could be unified.
tech knowledgest
Forgive me if this question is a bit amateurish but i am no physicist. I know in general terms that GR and QM aren't compatible with one another, but my question is...Do they even need to be? can it not be a handoff scenario? why can't GR govern what it is supposed to govern and QM govern what it is supposed to govern and never the twain shall meet? Maybe there is math or an equation somewhere that says this is a dumb question but like i said i am no physicist that is why i am asking. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! I read through the thread and it seems to verify my suspicion. there is no reason they MUST be unified, but it would be nice. Am i way off on this?

@Comeback City 's reply provides a good tip for all PF members. When you type the title of the thread, a list of similar discussions appears on the bottom. I just tested it with "general relativity vs quantum mechanics" and "quantum mechanics vs general relativity" in both cases, it came up with the thread suggested by @Comeback City even before I finished typing the title.

In other words, the OP could have found the answer without even pushing the POST button to create this thread. I :heart: PF

Likes phinds and Comeback City
tech knowledgest said:
Thanks! I read through the thread and it seems to verify my suspicion. there is no reason they MUST be unified, but it would be nice. Am i way off on this?
Well I do think that most physicists believe there is some grand unification that would explain a lot of things, and there is likely a lot of optimism. For example, electricity was unified with magnetism to electromagnetism, which then got unified with the weak nuclear force in the Electroweak theory. Not sure about strong nuclear force. I think the problem is that GR and QFT predict different things (for example I think someone brought up their differences on the idea of time). But technically, GR works and QFT works, although theoretically there could be some unification.

anorlunda said:
@Comeback City 's reply provides a good tip for all PF members. When you type the title of the thread, a list of similar discussions appears on the bottom. I just tested it with "general relativity vs quantum mechanics" and "quantum mechanics vs general relativity" in both cases, it came up with the thread suggested by @Comeback City even before I finished typing the title.

In other words, the OP could have found the answer without even pushing the POST button to create this thread. I :heart: PF

I didnt realize that was an option until after i posted. Good to know for next time

Comeback City said:
Well I do think that most physicists believe there is some grand unification that would explain a lot of things, and there is likely a lot of optimism. For example, electricity was unified with magnetism to electromagnetism, which then got unified with the weak nuclear force in the Electroweak theory. Not sure about strong nuclear force. I think the problem is that GR and QFT predict different things (for example I think someone brought up their differences on the idea of time). But technically, GR works and QFT works, although theoretically there could be some unification.
the only reason i even ask is because i was watching a debate between Sean Carroll and William Lane Craig. It dawned on me in the middle of the entire thing that each one of them is framing "universe" in a different way. It seemed to me that they were both correct but talking about 2 different things

Related to General relativity vs quantum mechanics

1. What is the difference between general relativity and quantum mechanics?

General relativity is a theory of gravity that explains the behavior of large-scale objects, such as planets and galaxies, while quantum mechanics is a theory that explains the behavior of subatomic particles. In general relativity, gravity is described as the curvature of spacetime, while in quantum mechanics, particles are described as waves of probability.

2. Can general relativity and quantum mechanics be unified into one theory?

Many scientists are working towards a theory of quantum gravity that would unify general relativity and quantum mechanics. However, at present, there is no widely accepted theory that successfully unifies these two theories.

3. How do general relativity and quantum mechanics relate to each other?

General relativity and quantum mechanics are two of the most successful theories in physics, but they have fundamental differences in their approach to describing the universe. General relativity is a classical theory, while quantum mechanics is a quantum theory. They are both necessary for understanding different aspects of our universe, such as gravity and the behavior of particles.

4. What are the major challenges in reconciling general relativity and quantum mechanics?

One of the major challenges in reconciling general relativity and quantum mechanics is the issue of scale. General relativity describes gravity on a large scale, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles on a small scale. It is difficult to merge these two scales into one theory. Additionally, the mathematics used in each theory is very different, making it challenging to combine them.

5. Are there any experimental observations that support the idea of a theory that unifies general relativity and quantum mechanics?

There have been some experimental observations that hint at the need for a theory that unifies general relativity and quantum mechanics, such as the behavior of black holes and the search for a theory of quantum gravity. However, at present, there is no concrete evidence that definitively supports the existence of such a theory.