General Relativity-surface gravity in killing horizon

In summary, the proof of the given equation \kappa^2=-1/2(\bigtriangledown_{\mu}V_{\nu})(\bigtriangledown^{\mu}V^{\nu}) is achieved by using the given equations \chi^{\lambda}\bigtriangledown_{\lambda}\chi^{\nu}=-\kappa\chi^{\nu}, \bigtriangledown_{(\mu}\chi_{\nu)}=0, and \chi_{[\mu}\bigtriangledown_{\nu}\chi_{\theta]}=0 to eliminate certain terms and then contracting with \nabla^{\mu} \chi^{\nu}.
nikhilb1997
1. Homework Statement
Prove the following-

[tex]\kappa^2=-1/2(\bigtriangledown_{\mu}V_{\nu})(\bigtriangledown^{\mu}V^{\nu})[/tex]
Given, the following,
[tex]\chi^{\lambda}\bigtriangledown_{\lambda}\chi^{\nu}=-\kappa\chi^{\nu}[/tex]
[tex]\bigtriangledown_{(\mu}\chi_{\nu)}=0[/tex]
[tex]\chi_{[\mu}\bigtriangledown_{\nu}\chi_{\theta]}=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\kappa^2=-1/2(\bigtriangledown_{\mu}V_{\nu})(\bigtriangledown^{\mu}V^{\nu})[/tex]
[tex]\chi_{[\mu}\bigtriangledown_{\nu}\chi_{\theta]}=0[/tex]3. The Attempt at a Solution
I do not know how to start as the equation to prove has a raised covariant derivative. I tried to use the metric to lower it but I got stuck at how the metric would affect the equation. So please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
nikhilb1997 said:
1. Homework Statement
Prove the following-

Given, the following,

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I do not know how to start as the equation to prove has a raised covariant derivative. I tried to use the metric to lower it but I got stuck at how the metric would affect the equation. So please help.

Take [tex]\chi_{[\mu}\bigtriangledown_{\nu}\chi_{\theta]}=0[/tex], use [tex]\bigtriangledown_{(\mu}\chi_{\nu)}=0[/tex] to get rid of half of the terms, then contract with [tex] \nabla^{\mu} \chi^{\nu} [/tex]

clamtrox said:
Take [tex]\chi_{[\mu}\bigtriangledown_{\nu}\chi_{\theta]}=0[/tex], use [tex]\bigtriangledown_{(\mu}\chi_{\nu)}=0[/tex] to get rid of half of the terms, then contract with [tex] \nabla^{\mu} \chi^{\nu} [/tex]
Thanks a lot. I did the first two steps but I didn't know what to do next. Contracting gave the required result.

Related to General Relativity-surface gravity in killing horizon

1. What is General Relativity-surface gravity in killing horizon?

General Relativity-surface gravity in killing horizon is a concept in the theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between gravity and the geometry of spacetime. It specifically refers to the surface gravity at the killing horizon, which is a special type of event horizon in black hole solutions of the theory.

2. How is surface gravity related to the killing horizon?

The surface gravity at the killing horizon is the measure of the strength of gravity at that specific point. It is directly related to the curvature of spacetime at the killing horizon, which is determined by the mass and angular momentum of the black hole. The higher the surface gravity, the stronger the gravitational pull at the killing horizon.

3. What is the significance of surface gravity in general relativity?

Surface gravity plays a crucial role in general relativity as it is directly related to the curvature of spacetime. It is used to calculate the Hawking temperature of black holes, which is a measure of the radiation emitted by black holes. It also provides insight into the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of intense gravitational fields.

4. How is the surface gravity at the killing horizon calculated?

The surface gravity at the killing horizon can be calculated using the formula κ = √(−1/2) ∂g/∂r, where κ is the surface gravity, g is the metric tensor, and r is the radial coordinate. However, this formula may vary depending on the specific black hole solution being studied.

5. Can surface gravity at the killing horizon be measured?

No, surface gravity at the killing horizon cannot be directly measured as it is a theoretical concept within general relativity. However, its effects can be observed through various phenomena, such as the Hawking radiation emitted by black holes. Scientists use mathematical calculations and computer simulations to study and understand the concept of surface gravity at the killing horizon.