General Relativity - Motion in Newtonian Limit

In summary, in the discussion about General Relativity and Motion in the Newtonian Limit, the conversation focused on using the variational principle to derive the equation of motion for particles in a weak gravitational field. The metric of space-time was assumed to be ds^2 = (1 + 2\phi/c^2)c^2 dt^2 - (dx^1)^2 - (dx^2)^2 - (dx^3)^2, and the discussion touched on solving for the parameterization \tau from the metric. The participants also discussed approximations and solutions for the equation \frac{d}{d\tau}[\frac{dt}{d\tau} + \frac{2\phi}{c^2}\
ozone
General Relativity -- Motion in Newtonian Limit

Homework Statement

Assume that the metric of space-time in a weak gravitational field, [itex] \frac{\phi}{c^2} << 1 [/itex] is [itex] ds^2 = (1 + \frac{2\phi}{c^2})c^2 dt^2 - (dx^1)^2 - (dx^2)^2 - (dx^3)^2 [/itex] for some arbitrary scalar function phi.
Use the variational principle to derive the equation of motion of particles, in the approximation that the velocity is small compared to c. Compare to the equations of Newtonian gravity.

Note that my teacher has been using the squared version of the metric in our actionals to derive things, so I wanted to follow his example. This however means that our parameterization [itex] \tau [/itex] is not arbitrary and that we need to solve for it from the metric.

I have no trouble solving for my spatial components as soon as I make the assumption that [itex] \frac{dt}{d\lambda} \approx 1 [/itex]. However I'm having trouble solving for this quantity from my euler-lagrange equations. I could really use some help in figuring out what approximations I am allowed to make here. Specifically I derive the equation

[itex] \frac{d}{d\tau} [ c^2 \frac{dt}{d\tau} + 2\phi(x) \frac{dt}{d\tau}] - \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} (\frac{dt}{d\tau})^2 = 0[/itex]

which we can divide through and by c squared and do a tiny bit of algebra to find something which looks ready to approximate--

[itex] \frac{d}{d\tau} [ \frac{dt}{d\tau} +\frac{2\phi}{c^2} \frac{dt}{d\tau}] = \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \tau} (\frac{dt}{d\tau}) [/itex]

clearly this must solve such that [itex] \frac{dt}{d\tau} = 1 + O(c^{-1}) [/itex] but getting there is a bit of a headache for me.. I was wondering what approximations I might make to reach this final form.

Edit: My best thought right now is to throw away the right hand side, and for whatever arbitrary reason integrate so that [itex] \frac{dt}{d\tau} = constant - \frac{2\phi}{c^2} [/itex] where our second term is negligible and can be neglected.. however I have no idea what to set the constant or what the justification for throwing away the RHS might be.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh common,it is not that tough.Just do the differentiation on the left,the differentiation of second term on left will give two terms,drop one term accounting for [itex]\phi[/itex]/c2<<1,and one other term will be subtracted from the right(we can not set (1/c2)∂[itex]\phi[/itex]/∂t to zero)..See now

Likes 1 person
Thats right, I already realized we could do a little bit of algebra and write [itex] \frac{d^2t}{d\tau^2} = - \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{dt}{d\tau} \frac{d\phi}{d\tau} [/itex] but again I wasn't sure what to do with this term, I considered integration by parts and using our fixed boundary conditions on lambda, but I couldn't get anything too meaningful from that.

Assume dt/dτ=y.Also dτ will cancel.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
After substituting I have [itex] \frac{dy}{d\tau} = \frac{-1}{c^2} y(\tau) \frac{d\phi}{d\tau} [/itex]. None of the ODE tables on wikipedia have a solution for a differential equation written as [itex] y' = F'(y) y [/itex].. what am I missing here?

Edit: After looking at the equation I suppose I could write [itex] \frac{y'}{y} = F'(y) [/itex] and solve for [itex] y =A e^{ F(y(\tau))} [/itex]

Thank you

Last edited:
you can as well now use the expansion of ex and neglect higher order terms in [itex]\phi[/itex]/c2 to get result what you wanted in op.

Related to General Relativity - Motion in Newtonian Limit

1. What is the difference between Newtonian mechanics and General Relativity?

Newtonian mechanics is a theory that describes the motion of objects in a non-accelerating frame of reference, while General Relativity is a theory that describes the motion of objects in a gravitational field.

2. Can General Relativity explain the precession of Mercury's orbit?

Yes, General Relativity can explain the precession of Mercury's orbit, which could not be fully explained by Newtonian mechanics. General Relativity takes into account the curvature of space caused by the mass of the Sun, which affects the motion of Mercury.

3. Is General Relativity compatible with quantum mechanics?

At its core, General Relativity and quantum mechanics are incompatible theories. However, there are efforts to unify these two theories, such as String Theory and Loop Quantum Gravity.

4. How does the Newtonian limit of General Relativity work?

The Newtonian limit of General Relativity refers to the situation where the gravitational field is weak and velocities are small. In this limit, the equations of General Relativity reduce to the equations of Newtonian mechanics, making it a useful approximation for everyday situations.

5. What is the role of the speed of light in General Relativity?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in General Relativity as it is the maximum speed at which information can travel through space. This is a fundamental principle in the theory and is necessary for the predictions and equations to be consistent.