General Relativity - Index Notation

In summary, the conversation involved finding the matrix element ##M_{ij}## and showing that ##x^j## is an eigenvector of ##M_{ij}##. The calculation for ##M_{ij}## involved a second derivative and a Kronecker delta, while the calculation for ##x^j## showed that it is indeed an eigenvector. This was shown by simplifying the denominator and obtaining a result that clearly indicates it is an eigenvector.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Find matrix element ##M_{ij}##
(b) Show that ##x^j## is an eigenvector of ##M_{ij}##
(c) Show any vector orthogonal to ##x^j## is also an eigenvector of ##M_{ij}##
4tufjc.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)
[/B]
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \Phi}{\partial x^i x^j} = -\frac{2GM_i}{(x^i)^3} \delta_{ij} [/tex]Part(b)

[tex] M_{ij}x_j = \frac{-2GM_i}{(x^i)^2} [/tex]

How do I show it is an eigenvector? It is clearly not..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. What you obtain in (a) is wrong: the double derivative should give you two terms, the denominator should be a power of r and the index on M is probably a typo...

Goddar said:
Hi. What you obtain in (a) is wrong: the double derivative should give you two terms, the denominator should be a power of r and the index on M is probably a typo...
Sorry I don't quite follow..

Can you detail your calculation of Mij so maybe i can tell you what goes wrong?

Goddar said:
Can you detail your calculation of Mij so maybe i can tell you what goes wrong?

Part(a)
[tex]M_{ij} = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^j x^i} GM(x^i x^i)^{-\frac{1}{2}} = -GM \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j} x^i (x^i x^i)^{-\frac{3}{2}} = 3GMx^i x^j (x^i x^i)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \delta_{ij} [/tex]

Part (b)

[tex] M_{ij} x^j = 3GMx^i (x^j)^2 (x^i x^i)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \delta_{ij} = 3GM (x^i x^i)^{-2} [/tex]

Ok. First i would recommend you actually expand r in terms of x,y and z instead of using summation convention: it will be less confusing and you'll see what's going on more clearly.
But if you want to use it, you have to pick a different index for your denominator (not i or j)!
Then you will see that in the second derivative you wrongfully assigned a Kronecker delta to 3GMxixj/r5,
while you're forgetting a term for the case where i = j (so that this second term does come with a Kronecker delta!).
If you do all that you'll see how part (b) comes out as expected.

Goddar said:
Ok. First i would recommend you actually expand r in terms of x,y and z instead of using summation convention: it will be less confusing and you'll see what's going on more clearly.
But if you want to use it, you have to pick a different index for your denominator (not i or j)!
Then you will see that in the second derivative you wrongfully assigned a Kronecker delta to 3GMxixj/r5,
while you're forgetting a term for the case where i = j (so that this second term does come with a Kronecker delta!).
If you do all that you'll see how part (b) comes out as expected.
Oh I think I got it now. I should have used a dummy index for ##r##.

Part(a)

[tex]
M_{ij} = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^j x^i} GM(x^l x^l)^{-\frac{1}{2}} = -GM \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j} x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} = -GM \left[ \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{j \neq i}} x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} \right]
[/tex]

[tex]
M_{ij} = -GM \left[ (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 (x^i)^2 (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} -3 x^i x^j (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \delta_{ij} \right]
[/tex]

Part (b)

[tex]
M_{ij} x^j = GM \left[ x^j (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 x^j (x^i)^2 (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} -3 x^i (x^j)^2 (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \delta_{ij} \right]
[/tex]

Using the kronecker delta,
[tex]
M_{ij} x^j = GM (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} x^j
[/tex]

Last edited:
You're getting there but there's still a mistake in your second derivative (again it would probably appear more clearly if you used explicit expressions of x,y,z):
1 - you obtain 3 terms while there should be only two because the xj in the denominator gets a derivative whether or not j = i
2 - the first term you obtain should be the one carrying a Kronecker delta since it is the one corresponding solely to the case where j = i

Goddar said:
You're getting there but there's still a mistake in your second derivative (again it would probably appear more clearly if you used explicit expressions of x,y,z):
1 - you obtain 3 terms while there should be only two because the xj in the denominator gets a derivative whether or not j = i
2 - the first term you obtain should be the one carrying a Kronecker delta since it is the one corresponding solely to the case where j = i

You're right, I'm complicating things. Here's what it should be:

Part(a)

[tex]
M_{ij} = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^j x^i} GM(x^l x^l)^{-\frac{1}{2}} = -GM \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j} x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} = -GM \left[ \delta_{ij}(x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 x^j x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}}\right]
[/tex]

Part (b)

[tex]
M_{ij} x^j = -GM \left[ \delta_{ij} x^j (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 (x^j x^j) x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \right] = -GM \left[ \delta_{ij} x^j (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} \right] = 2 GM (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} x^j
[/tex]

Last edited:
Yep. Now you can express again the denominator as r-3, so it's obvious that xj is an eigenvector...

Goddar said:
Yep. Now you can express again the denominator as r-3, so it's obvious that xj is an eigenvector...
Thanks man! I will try out the remaining parts and update it here

Related to General Relativity - Index Notation

What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how the force of gravity arises from the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy.

What is Index Notation in General Relativity?

Index Notation is a mathematical notation used in General Relativity to represent tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe the curvature of space and time. It uses superscripts and subscripts to represent the different components of a tensor.

Why is Index Notation important in General Relativity?

Index Notation is important in General Relativity because it allows for a concise and elegant representation of complex tensor equations. It also helps to simplify calculations and make them less prone to errors.

What are the advantages of using Index Notation in General Relativity?

Some advantages of using Index Notation in General Relativity include its ability to represent complex equations in a concise manner, its consistency with the principles of relativity, and its compatibility with advanced mathematical techniques.

How can I learn more about Index Notation in General Relativity?

To learn more about Index Notation in General Relativity, you can refer to textbooks and online resources that cover the topic in detail. You can also consult with experts in the field or take courses on General Relativity and advanced mathematics.