General Relativity gravitational redshift

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational redshift and how it affects the frequency of light as it travels upwards from a gravitational body. The equation \frac{\Delta{f}}{f_{0}}=\frac{-gh}{c^2} is used to calculate this change in frequency, and the integration of this equation from the surface of the gravitational body to infinity leads to the expression \frac{f}{f_{0}}\cong{1-\frac{GM}{Rc^2}}. However, there is confusion about how to express the gravitational attraction (g) in this equation and how to integrate with respect to h. Assistance is needed in solving this problem.
clandarkfire

Homework Statement

The gravitational redshift tends to decrease the frequency of light as it travels upwards a distance h,[tex]\frac{\Delta{f}}{f_{0}}=\frac{-gh}{c^2}[/tex]
integrate both sides of this equation (from the surface of the gravitation body out to infinity) to derive the expression for the change in frequency near a high gravitational field:[tex]\frac{f}{f_{0}}\cong{1-\frac{GM}{Rc^2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Given above. A photon is emitted at the surface of the gravitational body (M) with radius R. It's frequency is measured distance h above the gravitational body to be f, while its frequency at the gravitational body is f0. g is the gravitational attraction of the body on the photon.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I've gotten far enough to see that [tex]\frac{f}{f_{0}}-1=\frac{-gh}{c^2}[/tex], which makes sense because gh is the increase in gravitational potential energy.
However, I don't know how to express g. I would use [tex]F_{g}=G\frac{Mm}{r^2}[/tex], but because a photon's mass is zero, I don't know what to do.
I guess I also need to integrate with respect to h.
Help!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Related to General Relativity gravitational redshift

1. What is general relativity gravitational redshift?

General relativity gravitational redshift is the phenomenon where light appears to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum when observed from a region with a stronger gravitational field. This is due to the warping of space-time by massive objects, causing a change in the wavelength of light as it travels through the gravitational field.

2. How does general relativity gravitational redshift differ from other types of redshift?

General relativity gravitational redshift differs from other types of redshift, such as Doppler redshift, because it is caused by the bending of space-time rather than the relative motion of the source of light. This means that general relativity gravitational redshift can occur even if the source of light is not moving.

3. What is the significance of general relativity gravitational redshift in understanding the universe?

General relativity gravitational redshift is significant in understanding the universe because it provides evidence for the theory of general relativity. It also plays a crucial role in the study of black holes, as it allows us to observe and measure their properties, such as their mass and spin.

4. Can general relativity gravitational redshift be observed in everyday life?

Yes, general relativity gravitational redshift can be observed in everyday life. For example, the GPS system uses satellites that are in orbit around the Earth, where the gravitational field is weaker than on the surface of the Earth. This causes a slight difference in the speed of the satellite's clocks, which must be taken into account in order for the GPS system to function accurately.

5. Are there any current research developments related to general relativity gravitational redshift?

Yes, there are ongoing research developments related to general relativity gravitational redshift. Scientists are studying the redshift of light from distant galaxies to better understand the expansion of the universe. They are also exploring the possibility of using general relativity gravitational redshift to detect gravitational waves, which could provide valuable insights into the nature of space and time.