General relativity, dark energy and the cosmological constant

In summary, the conversation discusses a theory that interprets General Relativity through a new equation involving Einstein's curvature tensor, the cosmological constant, and a curvature tensor representing negative (or residual) mass-energy. The theory suggests that this interpretation could potentially explain the accelerating expansion of the universe, the Pioneer anomaly, and the flyby anomaly. The conversation ends with the author providing a link to their paper on the theory and requesting comments and debate.
Messenger
I see where someone listed a theory that they had https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=49230
so going to attempt to do the same.
I listed my theory at http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/129309-Negative-Mass-Interpretation-of-General-Relativity but they are very quiet and I would appreciate some healthy debate.

I listed my paper at http://www.vixra.org/pdf/1203.0025v1.pdf

Comments appreciated.

This theory states that the differential geometry of General Relativity is better physically interpreted through the equation

[tex]R_{\mu \nu}-\frac{1}{2}g_{\mu \nu}R=G_{\mu \nu}=g_{\mu \nu}\Lambda-\Pi_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

where [tex]G_{\mu \nu}[/tex] is Einstein's normal curvature tensor, [tex]g_{\mu \nu}\Lambda[/tex] is the cosmological constant term and [tex]\Pi_{\mu \nu}[/tex] represents the curvature tensor of negative (or residual) mass-energy.

The first benefit is that if one were to interpret [tex]g_{\mu \nu}\Lambda[/tex] as the potential energy of all quantum harmonic oscillator states, then [tex]G_{\mu \nu}[/tex] would represent the "occupied" states and [tex]\Pi_{\mu \nu}[/tex] the unoccupied. Thus the cosmological constant would appear to be very close to zero (probably showing an error in the equation on large scales that [tex]\Lambda[/tex] isn't exactly constant over those scales.

Both Einstein's tensor and the negative mass-energy tensor should both be capable of the exact same transformations.

Locally, there would be no way to distinguish one from the other experimentally, as they simplify down to equivalent Newtonian potentials (I will post my derivation here if requested, it is long but algebraically trivial, can be found http://www.vixra.org/pdf/1203.0025v1.pdf ) of

[tex]\vec{g}=-\nabla\Phi=-\frac{GM}{r^{2}}\hat{\vec{r}}=-\frac{\Lambda_{\mathrm{vac}} c^{2}r}{6}\hat{\vec{r}}+\frac{G\rho_{\mathrm{res}}V}{r^{2}}\hat{\vec{r}}[/tex]

for a spherical mass [tex]\textit{M}[/tex] where the "res" subscript denotes residual or remaining negative mass-energy. As a visual aid, the gradients of the top and bottom Euclidean two dimensional scalar fields are equivalent (multiply both by a -1):
See attached image

The empirical evidence that suggests the negative mass interpretation is actually the more correct interpretation would be the accelerating expansion detected in 1998. On large scales, the Newtonian potential equations lose their meaning since as baryonic mass is reduced, the unit vector loses its meaning and the equation would be considered as repulsive.

If the Newtonian equation were correct, there should be a point where for a test mass of 1kg, [tex]\vec{g}=0[/tex]. Namely

[tex]r=(\frac{6G\rho_{\mathrm{res}}V}{\Lambda_{\mathrm{vac}} c^{2}})^{1/3}[/tex]

where greater than this, gravity would be repulsive.

Attachments

• gradients.jpg
    gradients.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 449
Astronomy news on Phys.org
So the point is that on large scales, the residual negative mass-energy would be able to explain the accelerating expansion without resorting to the dark energy hypotheses. And since this negative mass-energy is not related to baryonic mass, it should be able to account for the lack of a gravitational pull on the acceleration of galaxies.The other two benefits are that it could possibly explain the Pioneer anomaly and the flyby anomaly, as these could be attributed to an interaction between the spacecraft and residual negative mass-energy (as the spacecraft passes through regions with a higher than average density of negative mass-energy).

Related to General relativity, dark energy and the cosmological constant

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects in the universe interact with each other and how they affect the fabric of space and time.

2. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that makes up about 68% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe, but its exact nature is still not fully understood.

3. What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is a term introduced by Einstein in his theory of general relativity to account for a static universe. It represents the energy density of space and is often associated with dark energy.

4. How does general relativity explain the expansion of the universe?

General relativity predicts that the universe is expanding due to the presence of dark energy, which exerts a repulsive force on matter. This force causes the space between galaxies to stretch, resulting in the expansion of the universe.

5. Can general relativity and the cosmological constant be tested?

Yes, general relativity and the cosmological constant have been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. These include the bending of light around massive objects, the gravitational redshift of light, and the precise measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation.