General Relativity asymmetry identity

I could be wrong.In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that ##2R_{o[aF^{o}_b]}## is equal to ##3(R^{u}_{o b u } F^{o}_a - R^{u}_{oau}F^{o}_{b} + R_{oo}F^a_b)##. It is mentioned that the antisymmetrization of indices on different levels is not the same as raising an index, and a different convention is needed to account for this.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I have ##R^{u}_{o b u } F^{o}_a - R^{u}_{oau}F^{o}_{b}##

and I want to show that this equal to ##2R_{o[aF^{o}_b]}##

where ## [ ] ## denotes antisymmetrization , and ##F_{uv} ## is a anitymstric tensor

Homework Equations

Since ##F_{uv} ##is antisymetric the antisymetrization ##2R_{o[aF^{o}_b}]## reduces to ## 3(R^{u}_{o b u } F^{o}_a - R^{u}_{oau}F^{o}_{b} + R_{oo}F^a_b)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Contracting to get the Ricci tensor and using that ##F_{uv} ## is antisymetric

##R^{u}_{o b u } F^{o}_a - R^{u}_{oau}F^{o}_{b}=R_{o b } F^{o}_a + R_{oa}F^{o}_{b}##
##=R{o b } F^{a}_o + R_{oa}F^{o}_{b}##

I can see that there needs to be a ##R_{oo}F^a_b ## term added somewhere, which I can't see where this is going to come from unless this is zero ? which I can't see that it is, and even then Id get a factor of ##3## rather than the ##2## needed.

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go to this link and then scroll up into the previous section about 10 lines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricci_calculus#Differentiation

It says,
As with symmetrization, indices are not antisymmetrized when they are not on the same level, for example;
$$ A_{[\alpha }B^{\beta }{}_{\gamma ]}={\dfrac {1}{2!}}\left(A_{\alpha }B^{\beta }{}_{\gamma }-A_{\gamma }B^{\beta }{}_{\alpha }\right)$$
I don't know if you are meant to adopt this convention.

TSny said:
Go to this link and then scroll up into the previous section about 10 lines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricci_calculus#Differentiation

It says,
As with symmetrization, indices are not antisymmetrized when they are not on the same level, for example;
$$ A_{[\alpha }B^{\beta }{}_{\gamma ]}={\dfrac {1}{2!}}\left(A_{\alpha }B^{\beta }{}_{\gamma }-A_{\gamma }B^{\beta }{}_{\alpha }\right)$$
I don't know if you are meant to adopt this convention.

ahh right thank you,
and you can surely get this from the antisymmetrization of indices on the same level by raising an index?

binbagsss said:
you can surely get this from the antisymmetrization of indices on the same level by raising an index?

I don't think so unless I'm overlooking something.

Suppose we have a tensor ##C_{\alpha}{} ^{\mu}{} _{\beta}##. Then we can antisymmetrize over ##\alpha## and ##\beta## to produce another tensor ##C_{[\alpha}{} ^{\mu}{} _{\beta]}##.

But it would not generally be true that ##C_{[\alpha}{} ^{\mu}{} _{\beta]} = g^{\mu \tau} C_{[\alpha \tau \beta]}##.

Instead, you would have to write ##C_{[\alpha}{} ^{\mu}{} _{\beta]} = g^{\mu \tau} C_{[\alpha |\tau |\beta]}## where we use another convention that indices located between vertical bars are to be ignored in the antisymmetrization.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Likes binbagsss

Related to General Relativity asymmetry identity

What is General Relativity asymmetry identity?

General Relativity asymmetry identity refers to the principle in Einstein's theory of general relativity that states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or position in space.

How does General Relativity explain asymmetry in the universe?

General Relativity explains asymmetry in the universe through the concept of spacetime curvature. According to this theory, massive objects in space warp the fabric of spacetime, causing asymmetries in the way that matter and energy move and interact with each other.

What is the importance of General Relativity asymmetry identity in cosmology?

General Relativity asymmetry identity is essential in cosmology because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of the universe on a large scale. By accounting for asymmetries in the distribution of matter and energy, this theory can explain the formation and evolution of galaxies, clusters, and the universe as a whole.

Can General Relativity asymmetry identity be tested and verified?

Yes, General Relativity asymmetry identity has been extensively tested and verified through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous examples is the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, which was predicted by this theory and later observed during a solar eclipse in 1919.

What are the practical applications of General Relativity asymmetry identity?

General Relativity asymmetry identity has several practical applications, including the development of accurate GPS systems, which rely on the precise measurements of time and space predicted by this theory. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies, such as satellite communication and gravitational wave detectors.